SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
News - Facebook Connect

Reply to topic
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 13 2009 02:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For those of you who don't travel over to the News site very often there has been an update to the site that now allows you to leave comments via a Facebook account.

http://sitenews.sydlexia.com/

When you choose to login you will have the option to use Facebook Connect.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 13 2009 03:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What a nice surprise! I'll have to check this out,
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 13 2009 04:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

So what lit a flame under my ass to get this done so quickly?

A few days back Syd wanted me to make sure that the NoFollow attribute was setup on the News page's comments. The NoFollow attribute tells search engines not to follow the link. This discourages spammers from posting links in comments just to get search ratings higher for other sites.

I found out that Wordpress automatically does that job for us and we have nothing to worry about... except what about when a legitimate link is posted by someone who isn't a spammer?

Enter Facebook Connect. In passing it had been discussed that other login options should be available for the comments section of the News section. Facebook Connect is a great option because it demands a one user to one account design.

This means that if someone starts spamming, they can't just create another account. They have to deal with the fact that they might get banned. This type of accountability allows the NoFollow feature to be turned off for Facebook Connect users.

Does this matter much to the average person who browses SydLexia.com? Nope. But it can help the site grow in legitimate ways that were previously not options.

Also, this was a pretty cool and fun thing to play with.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jun 13 2009 04:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

So what lit a flame under my ass to get this done so quickly?

A few days back Syd wanted me to make sure that the NoFollow attribute was setup on the News page's comments. The NoFollow attribute tells search engines not to follow the link. This discourages spammers from posting links in comments just to get search ratings higher for other sites.

I found out that Wordpress automatically does that job for us and we have nothing to worry about... except what about when a legitimate link is posted by someone who isn't a spammer?

Enter Facebook Connect. In passing it had been discussed that other login options should be available for the comments section of the News section. Facebook Connect is a great option because it demands a one user to one account design.

This means that if someone starts spamming, they can't just create another account. They have to deal with the fact that they might get banned. This type of accountability allows the NoFollow feature to be turned off for Facebook Connect users.

Does this matter much to the average person who browses SydLexia.com? Nope. But it can help the site grow in legitimate ways that were previously not options.

Also, this was a pretty cool and fun thing to play with.

You, sir, are a wizard. Well done!

RIP Hacker.

Reply to topic

Jump to: