[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
MTG: M10

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: May 06 2009 06:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now that the Alara block is done, let's start discussing Magic 2010 base set. (11th edition) that comes out in July.

Facts known:

Because of the influx of new designs, many cards that have been in every core set so far are leaving. As of Magic 2010, there will be only eight cards that have appeared in every core set, down from sixteen as of Tenth Edition.

There has been some speculation as to which set of existing dual lands will be in the next core set, and the answer may surprise: none of them. We wanted to make a cycle of powerful dual lands that risk-averse newer players would like, which meant coming up with something that didn't involve losing life. Sorry, painlands, fetchlands, and Ravnica duals.

Of the fifteen mythic rares in the set, nine are reprints (five of which are the Lorwyn Planeswalkers) and six are brand new.

Spoiler cards:

I think it sucks that Serra Angels have been demoted to Uncommon status. Though, that means they will be easier to aquire.

And, these we know are in:

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: May 06 2009 06:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

(I know I am double posting, but I am leaving the first post for known facts only. I will add more to it as new info becomes known.)

Hey, Jeebus, since you work in a shop, do you know anything about the "6-card booster packs" (In addition to Five intro packs, 15-card booster packs, and fat packs.) that WotC has stated for M10? Are these going to be like $2 each? or included in something else? What is the break down of what's in them? (Commons, Uncommons, Rare, Mythics, Lands)
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: May 06 2009 06:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Serra Angel was uncommon originally. They made it rare when they brought it back.

Quote:
Hey, Jeebus, since you work in a shop, do you know anything about the "6-card booster packs" (In addition to Five intro packs, 15-card booster packs, and fat packs.) that WotC has stated for M10? Are these going to be like $2 each? or included in something else? What is the break down of what's in them? (Commons, Uncommons, Rare, Mythics, Lands)

I know things too. Sad

They're only being sold at retail stores like Target and Wal-mart. They're $2, and include a basic land, 3 commons, an uncommon, and one card of random rarity (Mythic replaces a rare 1/8 of the time as normal, foil replaces a common at the normal intervals). They started them with Conflux, and they're generally considered a ripoff, but hey, 2 bucks. And I pulled my Progenitus out of one, so there.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: May 06 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You forgot to mention that Magic 2010 is like 50% new cards. Of course, there isn't a whole lot of info available, so not much to discuss.

And yeah, Serra Angel was originally an uncommon, and I've been pissed every time I opened one as a rare.

Also, the 6 card packs are called gravity packs, and are exactly as Usa described. They're a terrible deal, but serious players aren't the target market, little kids in the checkout isle of a major retailer like Target are.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: May 06 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Also, the 6 card packs are called gravity packs, and are exactly as Usa described. They're a terrible deal, but serious players aren't the target market, little kids in the checkout isle of a major retailer like Target are.

Not quite. Parents are. "Oooo, here's that little card game Billy plays. And its only a dollar ninety nine."

Some price points are very important to do your best to get your product under to entice people to buy them. $2 is one of them...parents who would balk at paying 4 dollars will plunk down 2. And it doesn't matter that it's an inferior product, you can now say it's "Under $2". The XBox 360 and PS3 did something similar to get under key price points.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 19 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

The more important issue here is that the new Serra artwork is FUCKING AWFUL.

Isn't LOTP being reprinted in Magic 2010 as a mythic?

ATTN Mark Rosewater and the other R&D assholes: Can we PLEASE make the core set expansion symbol bigger? The 2010 design is far too inconspicious. Can you also make it more generic looking? That current one is far too flashy.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: May 19 2009 07:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Really, You don't like that print of Serra Angel?

That's my favorite out of all of them. My local card shop has a framed lithograph of that painting that I am seriously considering to buy. That looks like a bad ass angel who can stomp you, which is what the Serra Angel always was. She was always one of White most powerful and dangerous creatures since the beginning.

The older ones, just don't have that sense of power to them.

The one I don't like, is the new artwork for Akroma from the Devine vs Demonic set.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 19 2009 07:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The original one is my favorite.

Looking at the bigger version of the new Serra, it actually is a fairly cool picture. But surrounded by a very white and very plain border, it looks like ass.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: May 19 2009 07:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you liked the original, then here is the artwork (from the same artist) for the unused Unglued 2 card "Que Serra, Serra"

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: May 19 2009 08:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd just likes the boob close-up.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 19 2009 08:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now THAT'S a Serra!
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 29 2009 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This isn't an actual scan, it's a mock up, but that's the actual art.

UsaSatsui wrote:

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: May 29 2009 02:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: May 29 2009 02:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Impressive..at first.

I think it is well ballanced. It more of a card to build a deck around, then a universal stomper. At best, you couldn't use it until turn 5. Then you have a one shot burst of mana, but then your down 3 lands. If you got a nice big nasty or two to bring out with it, you could have some fun with it.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 29 2009 03:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Turn 2 rampant growth lets you play turn 3 Golden Lotus. That then lets you hardcast Progenitus on turn 4 Very Happy

UsaSatsui wrote:

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: May 29 2009 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Turn 2 rampant growth lets you play turn 3 Golden Lotus. That then lets you hardcast Progenitus on turn 4 Very Happy

It's an all-in play through. One Remove Soul and you're pretty much screwed.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 29 2009 06:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It is, and the land will mianly be used to enable combo decks, but it's still really cool and shold be worth about $12 because it's mythic.

UsaSatsui wrote:

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jun 10 2009 02:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/42a

Of the changes...

#1 isn't significant.

#2 has already been pretty much discussed to death in the other thread. I will add only that I like the new dual land.

#3 ...I disagree, but I don't really care. No more mana burn makes one incredibly broken card even more broken (Mana Drain), and closes off some really stupid tricks people could pull off with stuff like Pulse of the Forge.

#4 is a good change. Not much else to say.

#5 is the one that will make people forget about the mana burn thing. It stops some popular tricks. But think about it, the combat damage on the stack thing doesn't make sense. It was thrown in to give a damage prevention window, and it's been used for pretty much anything but. And it also gives the impression that OTHER things use the stack for damage (I've heard "Lightning Bolt...and with the Bolt damage on the stack" a whole lot). I don't like the change because it's been part of the game for 10 years, but I think it's something that should have never been in the game in the first place. I wish they came up with this system 10 years ago.

#6 and #7 are good, but not shocking. Just things that might change from set to set.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 10 2009 06:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

1. Why would a lotus enter the battlefield? Is it gonna fight? Is it gonna block? Look at that thing. It's fucking huge. If it's on the battlefield, it seems like it should be able to your Grizzly Bears.
2. Golden Lotus is a terrible card that noobs will drool over and doucebags will put into douchey combo decks.
3. There was no need to change "in play" to "the battlefield". By changing "play" back to "cast", they eliminated any confusion that would exist between "in play" and play", since "play" would no longer exists. Changing both terms was unnecessary.
4. If I see the word "flavorful" one more time, I'm gonna find the person who used it, rip off their genitals, and shove them right up their worthless fucking nose. It's a wicked queer term. Food has flavor. Marlboro cigarettes have flavor. Magic cards do not.
5. Removed From The Game is only a misnomer if you're a complete fucking idiot, and apparently every single member of R&D is a fucking idiot. Did they just hire a bunch of new people who had never played Magic to design cards or something? How is Removed From The Game confusing in any way? Oh noes, stuff can come back from the RFG zone! So what? No one ever said it was PERMANENTLY removed. It wasn't fucking called the Gone Forever And Ever zone, you fucking shitheads.
6. They're changing the token ownership rule? Completely fucking gay. It's not a trick that's widely used, and if you're playing casual games with other friends who don't understand it, it's never going to come up. If you're at a tournament and you don't understand it, when then your deck probably wasn't very good anyway because you're a noob and you suck at MTG and at life.
7. Same goes for mana burn.
8. No more stacking combat damage? What the fuck is that?
9. Also, unless I'm reading that section incorrectly, the defending player now puts his blockers in a "line" and they must be killed in order. So if I block your 6/6 guy with a 1/1 and 5/6, I now not only killed your guy, but I can force you to kill the 1/1 by putting it first in "line". Have people noticed this? The other rules changes are defensible, this is not. You can argue the other rules changes are intuitive and reasonable and all that other horseshit, but this one is absolutely not. If MTG players get mad about one rule, it should be this. This gives the defending player a MASSIVE advantage and will slow matches in draft and sealed tournaments down to a near crawl.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jun 10 2009 08:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Why are we all ignoring the fact that BALL LIGHTNING IS BEING REPRINTED? Also, those new dual lands are pretty cool I suppose.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jun 10 2009 08:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad they removed damage going on the stack, but the way they make blocking happen now, while it kinda makes sense, is also kinda awful

#edit: Syd, you read that wrong. The ATTACKING player puts the defender's creatures in a line, not the defending player. Otherwise, all creature would essentially have banding. I'm not a big fan because you can no longer split damage and then finish everything off with a Pyroclasm, but it is more in line with how trample works and does make a reasonable amount of sense, even if I hate it.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 10 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it's def still dumb.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 10 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Question: can effects be played after the order has been locked in?
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 10 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know shit about this game but I do know that the Birds of Paradise card could have been a bit more informative and perhaps a tad too personal if the authors had really given it some thought.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jun 10 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Question: can effects be played after the order has been locked in?

Yes. Order goes:
Enter attack phase (mana pools empty as you enter this step)
Each player can play spells or abilities.
Declare attackers (mana pools empty as you enter this step)
Defending player declares blockers/attacking player orders blockers if anything is being gang blocked (mana pools empty as you enter this step)
Combat damage resolves (mana pools empty as you enter this step)
Enter second main phase (mana pools empty as you enter this step)

UsaSatsui wrote:

Reply to topic

Jump to: