"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Twilight: A Fair and Balanced series summary

Reply to topic
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Apr 09 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...Not from me, because I haven't read it or seen the movie. I barely knew anything about it other than the most basic premise (human girl + vampire boy), until I read this:

http://www.cracked.com/topic/36-twilight/

I loved cracked.com before. Now I really, really love it, and am tempted to see the movie/read the book just for the MST-ing humor value. (And so I can form my own opinion, although seriously, if its a tenth of what the reviewer there says, I can't imagine it being much different.)

Anyway, hilarious stuff. Has anyone actually read the book? (Or seen the movie I guess, since I don't want to start the same topic in the movie forum.)

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Apr 09 2009 01:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
...Not from me, because I haven't read it or seen the movie. I barely knew anything about it other than the most basic premise (human girl + vampire boy), until I read this:

http://www.cracked.com/topic/36-twilight/

I loved cracked.com before. Now I really, really love it, and am tempted to see the movie/read the book just for the MST-ing humor value. (And so I can form my own opinion, although seriously, if its a tenth of what the reviewer there says, I can't imagine it being much different.)

Anyway, hilarious stuff. Has anyone actually read the book? (Or seen the movie I guess, since I don't want to start the same topic in the movie forum.)

I have gone on record as saying I would rather stick my dick in a beehive than see Twilight. My buddy saw it, and he told me that, in retrospect, he would have gone with the beehive too. Part of me, like you, wants to see it for the MST value, but another part of me thinks I'd just be driven insane. It doesn't help that the book and movie are all over my college bookstore, so anytime I need to buy Scantrons, I fly into a rage.
Maybe I should focus my hate into something productive...nah...
I will point out this:
Quote:
"Aren't you hungry?" he asked, distracted.

"No." I didn't feel like mentioning that my stomach was already full - full of butterflies.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Apr 09 2009 04:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't even get me started on this shit.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Apr 09 2009 06:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I read an interview with one of the actors in the film, who said that after getting the role, they read the book to get more insight on thier character. They said they felt like they were reading some teenage girl's private diary of sexual fantasies, and suddenly felt very dirty about being involved in it.
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Apr 09 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
I read an interview with one of the actors in the film, who said that after getting the role, they read the book to get more insight on thier character. They said they felt like they were reading some teenage girl's private diary of sexual fantasies, and suddenly felt very dirty about being involved in it.

Oh those poor kids. Confused They are so fucked for life now too, because they'll never be able to outlive the characters they played.

Hey Enshink, you know what's worse than

Quote: wrote:

"No." I didn't feel like mentioning that my stomach was already full - full of butterflies.

The fact that vampires don't go out into the sunlight because they melt or combust or burn, oh no. Vampires don't go out into the sun...because they sparkle Twisted Evil

Speaking of twisted though, that series really is. Have any of you read the whole article I posted, and gotten to the part in the third book where the vampire delivers whatshernames' baby by ripping open her stomach with his fangs?

militarysignatures.com

JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Apr 09 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:

Hey Enshink, you know what's worse than

Quote: wrote:

The fact that vampires don't go out into the sunlight because they melt or combust or burn, oh no. Vampires don't go out into the sun...because they sparkle Twisted Evil

Urge to kill...rising...

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

Kojjiro!
PostPosted: Apr 09 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i read the first book - it's actually kind of funny. i know it's geared at teenage girls, but the way the author wrote edward is kind of funny. most of the young readerbase won't pick up on it, but half of his dialogue is about him making fun of the main girl and treating her terribly

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:

"The only sparkling vampires I want to see are the ones I pump full of magnesium rounds." - Me

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Neutral-Bob
Title: Zarkin Frood
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 03:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I read that article some time ago. Ironically one of my old friends from school kept telling me to go see it back when it first came out. I thought he was crazy then, but it really made me question his sanity after I heard that the vampires are afraid of sunlight because, for some strange reason, UV rays create some sort of chemical reaction that causes them to sparkle.

I seen Twilight Valentines day candy at work. It's only a matter of time before I start seeing those damn "Team [insert name here]" shirts everywhere.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 04:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Having actually read the article now, I have to say Book 4 is all kindsa fucked up.

P.S. Nice Wizards drawing there bob.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it doesn't seem like something teenage girls should read.

Thanks, my little brother drew it. He was only twelve, but I think he did an awesome job.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Having actually read the article now, I have to say Book 4 is all kindsa fucked up.

P.S. Nice Wizards drawing there bob.

No shit. That description of the pregnancy/birth might be the most disturbing thing I've ever heard. I mean, that's right up there with fucking Saw when you stop to think about it. And they are marketing this to little girls? And these characters are supposed to be role modles? As a woman, I can't tell you how insulting the whole series is basically, but that just takes the cake. If the author wanted an excuse to make her a vampire, have her get hit by a fucking car or something and have him save her life. Don't fucking do that.

P.S. Bob, that is a kickass drawing! Except for some reason when I saw it, the first thing I assumed was that it was a Fremen, from Dune. Awesome stuff though. Smile

militarysignatures.com

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 02:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So...wait, why does her spine break? Just from having a vampire baby? WTF? This whole thing sounds like a fanfic that was mistakenly published.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 04:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
So...wait, why does her spine break? Just from having a vampire baby? WTF? This whole thing sounds like a fanfic that was mistakenly published.

Exactly. That's exactly fucking what the entire Twilight series is. And all of the screaming fangirls are nothing more than the hollow praise anyone who can string a coherent string of words together on www.fanfiction.net gets. Its sick, I swear to god its sick.

As for the vampire baby, as far as I can tell the reason her spine etc broke is because--wait for it--she trips and falls while pregnant, inducing a miscarage/early birth (author seems to have the two things confused), the placenta rips off (oh yes, you read that right), and causes early labor to set in, or something like that. Since this is a vampire super strength baby, and since she is human, its struggling inside of her causes all kind of damage, including but not limited to, snapped spine, broken ribs and (somehow) broken legs. And lots of vomiting blood.

I would like to remind you at this point that this book is being marketed to ten and eleven year old girls (and boys...but yeah, we all know its mostly girls.) Fucking disgusting. I know I rolled my eyes at people who protested Harry Potter for satanism and shit, but this seems genuinely, really, really bad. Where are all those Christian groups now? Oh yeah, they don't care about the violence or anything else, because the stories ostensibly promote abstinence. Except when the evil, whorey, temptress of a lead female character finally succeeds in seducing the poor, brooding, purity of the vampire boy. But since she gets horribly punished for it in the birth scene (and presumably damned to hell since she is also turned into a soulless undead), the book stays "on message" and is therefore okay.

People who think like that make me sick. Author of this shit included. Speaking of which, I wonder if she is a Fundy...I'll have to look into that because now I'm curious. Also going to the library to get the books, and going to rent the movie, so I'm more directly informed and don't turn into one of those people I hate who rail against things without seeing it for themselves.

EDIT: Well, I discovered she's not a Fundy, she's Mormon. She sucks regardless of religious affiliation though Razz

Edit of edit: I just realized...her main character's name is Bella Swan. Bella Swan. Beautiful Swan. I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth...ugh.

militarysignatures.com

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

"The only sparkling vampires I want to see are the ones I pump full of magnesium rounds." - Me

This needs to be in a sig.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 08:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

MOGHARR wrote:
lordsathien wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

This needs to be in a sig.

Excellent idea, and done. My fast food addiction status will just have to remain a Secret To Everybody for now Very Happy

militarysignatures.com

Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
No shit. That description of the pregnancy/birth might be the most disturbing thing I've ever heard. I mean, that's right up there with fucking Saw when you stop to think about it. And they are marketing this to little girls? And these characters are supposed to be role modles? As a woman, I can't tell you how insulting the whole series is basically, but that just takes the cake. If the author wanted an excuse to make her a vampire, have her get hit by a fucking car or something and have him save her life. Don't fucking do that.

P.S. Bob, that is a kickass drawing! Except for some reason when I saw it, the first thing I assumed was that it was a Fremen, from Dune. Awesome stuff though. Smile
That's really messed up that they are marketing stuff like this to teenage girls. I know the vampire guy is supposed to appear all mysterious and intriguing but he just comes off as creepy to me.

Thanks, I appreciate it. It was my younger brother's handiwork though. He was only twelve when he drew it. It's a shame that he doesn't like to draw that much...

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jesus Christ, between this girl and Anne Rice, the coolness of vampires has been ruined forever.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Was Anne Rice that bad? I've never read any of the books; I always just assumed her vampires were semi-Dracula like seducers (which is why there seemed to be so much sex in them.) Not so much?

militarysignatures.com

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Was Anne Rice that bad? I've never read any of the books; I always just assumed her vampires were semi-Dracula like seducers (which is why there seemed to be so much sex in them.) Not so much?

As a former rabid fanboy of her Chronicles, I can attest to the fact her writing was...drippy. Spending 1-3 paragraphs to describe a single physical act (more if someone's feeding on someone important). However, she kinda stopped caring about the Chronicles and her witches and whatnot and started writing books about Christianity (I suppose her Catholic conscious finally bit her in the behind).
However, the events in the Chronicles, compared to the stuff in Twilight, seem like Shakespeare/Bacon.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Her whole thing is that since Vampires are immortal, they all eventually become gay as springtime and play electric guitar

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Her whole thing is that since Vampires are immortal, they all eventually become gay as springtime and play electric guitar

*snicker* Except for the women. And don't even get me started on Queen of the Damned's movie.

Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Apr 10 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The last vampire-related movie I watched was Bram Stoker's Dracula. After that I just sort of lost any interest in vampires. It seems that everyone has their own take on what a vampire should be and it just seems to get more distored with time.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 11 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Neutral-bob wrote:
The last vampire-related movie I watched was Bram Stoker's Dracula. After that I just sort of lost any interest in vampires. It seems that everyone has their own take on what a vampire should be and it just seems to get more distored with time.

Vampire: the Maquerade sort of took that approach and typecast each of the 13 clans as a different style. Toreadors were Anne Rice types, Brujah were Lost Boys types, Nosferatu were well...Count Orlock/Nosferatu, etc.

Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Apr 11 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think I'm just going to watch this stuff from the sidelines. When I was younger I loved watching the old campy vampire flicks on sci-fi. Heck, I used to like practically any of the old horror-line up. Creature of Frankenstein, Wolfman, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. Stuff like that always interested me. For some reason I don't really find them that interesting when they are portrayed as edgy and cool.

Reply to topic

Jump to: