SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Best E-Book Reader

Reply to topic
IceWarm
PostPosted: Apr 03 2009 01:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

For anybody here who has used an E-book reader device which ones are good choices? I'm interested in getting one someday and would like opinions on them. I want one that can basically read anything, PDF, DOC and so on. I don't want to get something that limits you to a proprietary format. I think the Amazon Kindle does this and you are required to buy the books for the reader. I also need something that can hold many books and does not cost an arm and a leg. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Mitch
PostPosted: Jun 27 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

laptop Wink j/k, I'd like to hear any legitimate responses to this as well
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 07:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why not just get a library card? I seriously don't understand the appeal of reading a full length novel on a tiny screen.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 07:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To answer your question, Ice, I've heard very, very good things about the Kindle II, and its the brand I'm planning to buy down the road. Problem is its new, and expensive as heck right now. From everything I've seen and read its well worth the money, although I'm personally waiting to pick one up until the price drops.

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Why not just get a library card? I seriously don't understand the appeal of reading a full length novel on a tiny screen.

Easy--portability. Being able to carry most to all of your entire library in a relatively small, portable device like that is awesome. Lets you read "Hamlet" for example without carting around an entire Works of Shakespeare, for example. Now granted I'm probably one of seven people on earth who have that particular issue, but I think it still demonstrates my point.

From what I've seen, the screens aren't too bad either. They aren't harsh and annoying like a regular computer screen is, and you can zoom in on the text so its not so small. Overall, I want one too, and I'm the biggest library whore you will ever, ever find.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 07:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Easy--portability. Being able to carry most to all of your entire library in a relatively small, portable device like that is awesome.

1. Books are portable enough. Especially paperbacks.
2. Why would you EVER need to carry around your entire library at once? How does that serve you in anyway? What, you started reading Needful Things, and got bored, then after a few pages, you decided to read Goblet of Fire instead, then got bored and switched to Tolkien? You should only be reading one book at a time, and thus you should never have cause to carry around more than two or three books with you.
3. The great thing about books is that they fit on a shelf or a coffee table, thus allowing you to showcase your awesome taste in authors.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 09:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:
Easy--portability. Being able to carry most to all of your entire library in a relatively small, portable device like that is awesome.

1. Books are portable enough. Especially paperbacks.
2. Why would you EVER need to carry around your entire library at once? How does that serve you in anyway? What, you started reading Needful Things, and got bored, then after a few pages, you decided to read Goblet of Fire instead, then got bored and switched to Tolkien? You should only be reading one book at a time, and thus you should never have cause to carry around more than two or three books with you.
3. The great thing about books is that they fit on a shelf or a coffee table, thus allowing you to showcase your awesome taste in authors.

1. No argument there; one book (especially a paperback as noted) is not a hassle to take anywhere.

2. For especially long trips perhaps, or like I said if the work(s) are just too damn big to be portable on their own. Personally, I often read more than one book at once; not switching back and forth a few pages at a time, but the book I'm in the mood for tonight is not necessarily the book I'll be in the mood for tomorrow night, or the next day or whatever. If one book is all you have with you due to space constraints you make due, but it *would* be nice to have everything I like to read easily accessible.

3. Agreed. I would never, ever argue that electronic readers could, would or should ever replace actual printed books. But I think they're a wonderful option, and personally I love the idea.

militarysignatures.com

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why not just carry around all the cds you currently want to listen to. Why would you ever need to carry your entire music library at once.

Maybe....just maybe it would be more constructive to actually answer the question and not jump down the person's throat who just wanted a question answered. And if it bothers you, avoid the topic to avoid a flame war.

To answer your question, the best e-readers will be expensive if you want a very visible screen. I am not sure about the kindle but other e-readers allow text formats and there are several older books that are legally available online and newer ones through alternative means.

The other option would be to get one of those cheaper net book computers and use it for an e-reader sense it has a big screen and can also go on the internet.

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Jun 28 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a comic book reader application for my DSi, it can also be used to view full books. The resolution is surprisingly high and you have an array of options.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jun 29 2009 02:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:

The other option would be to get one of those cheaper net book computers and use it for an e-reader sense it has a big screen and can also go on the internet.

You know the only argument I've heard against that (bearing in mind this is not from personal experience) is that the netbooks are too much like, well, computers, and are hard on your eyes after hours of staring at black-on-white text. I understand that e-readers have some sort of special background/lighting that makes it a bit easier to take. On the other hand, being able to go on the 'net *is* a plus, and some of the netbooks out now are actually cheaper than a top of the line e-reader like the Kindle II, or the new one out from Sony.

And dammit, I wish I had thought of that ipod analogy first... Mad

militarysignatures.com

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 03:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:
Why not just carry around all the cds you currently want to listen to. Why would you ever need to carry your entire music library at once.

Maybe....just maybe it would be more constructive to actually answer the question and not jump down the person's throat who just wanted a question answered. And if it bothers you, avoid the topic to avoid a flame war.

To answer your question, the best e-readers will be expensive if you want a very visible screen. I am not sure about the kindle but other e-readers allow text formats and there are several older books that are legally available online and newer ones through alternative means.

Because a song lasts around 5 minutes, and you don't have to worry about earstrain when comparing a CD to an mp3.

I'd go with the netbook option. They can be bought for around $300, and will do more than just read books.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

E readers lack the nifty old book smell (and the new book smell for that matter) and the thrilling experience of turning pages! Sadly no

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 06:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
E readers lack the nifty old book smell (and the new book smell for that matter) and the thrilling experience of turning pages! Sadly no

But like I said, they're not going to replace books. They're just be a convenient way to have your favorite books easily accessible while in transit or not at home.

militarysignatures.com

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 07:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:

Just like I don't understand the appeal of playing a card game about magical items that don't exist pretending to be in a world that doesn't exist, to win a prize that doesn't exist. Razz However I would like to know about this e-reader you speak of. Can you put Text-books in it? If so I would definitely buy one just so I don't have to lug around 7 textbooks everyday. I literally have no clue how this works.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 08:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

Just like I don't understand the appeal of playing a card game about magical items that don't exist pretending to be in a world that doesn't exist, to win a prize that doesn't exist. Razz However I would like to know about this e-reader you speak of. Can you put Text-books in it? If so I would definitely buy one just so I don't have to lug around 7 textbooks everyday. I literally have no clue how this works.

some textbooks yes\
http://www.amazon.com/Dyslexia-at-College-Third-ebook/dp/B000SM83K4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1246406975&sr=1-2

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 08:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I do think the e-textbook thing will become very, very big in the next 10-20 years, especially in high school. As we speak, the high school I work at is discussing ways to eliminate textbooks entirely, and just check out e-readers to each student with their needed textbooks preloaded onto them.

College would be a bit harder to do that with I think since its a lot less regimented and the campus book store is an institution. Book publishers will probably be against it too--if you paid for the book legit I'm sure they'd make the same obscene amount of money as if you bought it in the bookstore, but electronic files are far too easily pirated right now. And the loss those companies stand to take up the ass if people start handing out unlimited copies of their books is huge. It would be beautiful, beautiful karma, but I don't think they'll allow it without a lot of precautions in place.

militarysignatures.com

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jun 30 2009 08:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I ended up buying an electronic copy of my accounting book last semester. It was pretty sweet and it was like having the hard copy right on my screen. I wish I could do that for every book.So I didn't have to worry about selling them back and getting the equivalent of finding money in a urinal. (Sure it's money, but do I want it that bad?)

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Jul 01 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wish I could do that for every book.So I didn't have to worry about selling them back and getting the equivalent of finding money in a urinal. (Sure it's money, but do I want it that bad?)

Haha, I like that analogy and whole-heartedly agree with it.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Jul 03 2009 03:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I ended up buying an electronic copy of my accounting book last semester. It was pretty sweet and it was like having the hard copy right on my screen. I wish I could do that for every book.So I didn't have to worry about selling them back and getting the equivalent of finding money in a urinal. (Sure it's money, but do I want it that bad?)

I think you'd get a better return if you didn't urinate on the books first.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jul 09 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use a Compaq pocket PC for reading e-books

...that reminds me, I still have to finish the enders game series

IceWarm
PostPosted: Jul 10 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've heard good things about the Kindle readers. One of the newer ones also has PDF conversion but you need to pay for it and the free workarounds don't work that well from what I've seen.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 04 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

IceWarm wrote:
I've heard good things about the Kindle readers. One of the newer ones also has PDF conversion but you need to pay for it and the free workarounds don't work that well from what I've seen.

so, the kindle is now $299. you pick it up? or still debating?

im thinking of picking it up in a month or two, when i have the disposable income for it.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Aug 05 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm more impressed with someone who has 500 ACTUAL books compared with someone who has 500 books on iPod.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Aug 05 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

SpraCoalee wrote:
I'm more impressed with someone who has 500 ACTUAL books compared with someone who has 500 books on iPod.

i agree, but i dont have the packrat mentality + i am running out of room in my room. and i hate lugging around books when i move from house to house

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Aug 05 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I probably have 500 or so books, but most are trash sci fi. And username is right moving books is a pain in the ass.

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Aug 05 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

*Actualy thinks for a moment *

I see your point(s), it's just most people have that many books on their iPod 's just to be cool, and don't give damn about it.

It's the yin & Yang

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Reply to topic

Jump to: