"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Letters to the Earth

Reply to topic
Neutral-Bob
Title: Zarkin Frood
PostPosted: Apr 16 2009 04:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone here read it? I have always been a big fan of Mark Twain and I was really surprised when I read this book. It's not so much one story as it is a compilation of short-stories and things of that nature. My favorite part of the book is easily the beginning story where Lucifer muses about earthlings and the frivolity of contradictions in their religions. He also goes about comparing and contrasting the differences between the perception of God by human beings and God's true nature. It's a bit controversial considering he threw religion into play, however I always loved his works and this book is no different.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Apr 16 2009 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For the record, it's not like the entire book is related to religion. Alot of the stories are simply notes from his travels and short stories.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Apr 16 2009 02:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Holy crap I have not read it, and I am a huge Mark Twain fan. Must seek it out asap! Thanks for the tip. Smile

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Apr 16 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's a compilation of his unpublished works recovered after his death. It's a really good read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The footnotes of the editor/Mark Twain enthusiast are a bit pretentious, however it's still really good.

I'm a big fan as well. I thought I had read all of his works in High School until my friend let me borrow this. Funny thing is, he had never even read it. He just wanted it in his collection.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Apr 17 2009 01:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I REALLY have to go check it out. And no worries about the footnotes...after majoring in English, I'm pretty well vaccinated against pretentious literary criticism Wink . Thanks for the tip, can't wait to read 'em.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Neutral-Bob
PostPosted: Apr 17 2009 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

You're welcome. I think I'm going to buy a copy for myself when I get paid. I also have to get another copy of Confederacy of Dunces, my copy is losing it's spine...

Reply to topic

Jump to: