[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
New article (Game & Watchmen)

Reply to topic
Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: Mar 16 2009 06:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good Article, Syd.

I want to point out to the readers that if you are interested, there are (at least) two GB(C) games called "Game and Watch Gallery" that have both remakes of the games, and original (or at least they look original) versions of the games themselves. It's probably worth whatever you will pay for it.

I have the second one, and it gave me a few good hours of solid playing. I mean, the games themselves just dont lend themselves to hours upon hours of marathonning, but this game shouldnt run you more than five bucks.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 16 2009 06:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Mar 16 2009 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For some reason I had a hunch it was an emulator...seems I was half-right.

jackfrost
Title: Cold Hearted Bastard
PostPosted: Mar 16 2009 09:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I never knew there were Game and Watch emulators. I have the all the ones for the Gameboy, but I never knew there were free ones out there. I know the Radio Shack ones are cheap knockoffs, but its a shame there aren't any emulators out there for them too. Prior to the Gameboy those things were sanity savers on long distance family vacations and long trips in the car.

Does anybody know if the games that were actually watches were the same as the handheld versions? I could swear I had a Zelda watch that you could wear at some point that had a game on it.

[img]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/akajackfrost/megaman.jpg[/img]

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 16 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There was a Zelda watch, a Mario watch, a Star Fox watch, and possibly some others. Mario & Zelda were a lot more basic than the G&W versions, and Star Fox never had a G&W.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Mar 16 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have some cherries in my fridge that expired about three years ago or so, but I don't think you'd want those.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 16 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not unless they're super special promotional cherries like the ones Yoshi eats in Super Mario World.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Mar 16 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
There was a Zelda watch, a Mario watch, a Star Fox watch, and possibly some others. Mario & Zelda were a lot more basic than the G&W versions, and Star Fox never had a G&W.

Are you saying there wasn't a StarFox Watch that had a game on it? Cause if so I call bullshit sir. I owned that and the Super Mario World one.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Mar 16 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Totally off topic but what were those metal bracelets that you slapped against your wrist? The impact of the slap would cause the metal to coil around your wrist, they came with brightly colored Eightiestastic patterns, and there was an rumor going around that the metal edge could cut through the fabric and your wrist and you'd bleed to death. Confused

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 16 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

Are you saying there wasn't a StarFox Watch that had a game on it? Cause if so I call bullshit sir. I owned that and the Super Mario World one.

No, that is not what I am saying at all.

Game & Watch is a series of rectangular devices that had an LCD game and an LCD clock. They were technically both a game and a watch, but none of them were wristwatches, which are universally what most people assume you mean when you're talking about watches.

Nintendo also had a series of Game Watches (note the lack of an ampersand), that were wristwatch-shaped devices that played a tiny LCD game. There were a few. There was LoZ, SMB, Star Fox, and according to you, SMW. I had the SMB one. If I recall correctly, these devices were JUST a game, and could not actually tell time.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I just read that wrong.
There most definitely is a Super Mario World Watch though. It held your highscore and I'm pretty sure it had a time telling function. Cant remember if the startfox watch did or not, it probably didn't.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
Totally off topic but what were those metal bracelets that you slapped against your wrist? The impact of the slap would cause the metal to coil around your wrist, they came with brightly colored Eightiestastic patterns, and there was an rumor going around that the metal edge could cut through the fabric and your wrist and you'd bleed to death. Confused

slap bracelets

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 09:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

There most definitely is a Super Mario World Watch though. It held your highscore and I'm pretty sure it had a time telling function. Cant remember if the startfox watch did or not, it probably didn't.

Not sure. I believe the Star Fox watch a cereal prize though. One of those deals where you had to send in 4.95 shipping and X number of UPCs.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

so technically, they were more game & digital clocks vs game & watches. i guess im just splitting hairs now

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I almost addressed that in the article, but the dictionary defines a watch as any small portable device capable of telling time.

These days, the only kind of watch that is widely sold is the wristwatch, so people assume that a watch is a clock that straps onto your wrist. This is incorrect. In previous centuries, the watch of choice was the pocketwatch. Game and Watch fills the basic standards of watchiness, and thus it is a watch.
Milhouse
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That article was great. I have the Mickey Mouse Panorama G&W. It has a flip screen and a mirror. It still works great, but no box anymore.

For some reason, Mickey is standing on a ball and juggling flaming batons. If you drop one, Donald Duck gets pissed; he probably paid to get into the circus and didn't want to waste his time seeing some asshole who couldn't juggle.

I remember getting it for Christmas back in 1985 or 1986. My sister actually had the Mickey Mouse Egg G&W.

Setting the time on those things is harder than the game.
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Mar 17 2009 03:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Not sure. I believe the Star Fox watch a cereal prize though. One of those deals where you had to send in 4.95 shipping and X number of UPCs.

The SMW definatley does exist, I remember having one way back when.

Nintendo also had a Tetris watch, perhaps the most practical of all of them.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 30 2009 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I got a package in the mail today, so there's been a small update to the article: http://www.sydlexia.com/who_watches_the_watchmen.htm#Egg
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 07 2009 09:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I got some hatemail today on this article. You'll find it below, followed by my response.
Tyrone L. Warbasse wrote:
"Unless you've spent the last several years hiding in caves in or near Afghanistan, or unless you fucking hate video games, you've almost certainly played Super Smash Bros. Melee or its sequel, Super Smash Bros. Brawl."

Could you explain this to me? I hate the Super Smash Bros. series and other fighting games where I have to push a jump button instead of up as in Street Fighter, and ergo, I don't play games that're like that. Nor do my Wii-loving friends. I was going to read your article on the Game and Watch series, but I think I'll pass, because of this statement. We don't hate video games at all, I personally own over 5000 games myself on over 35 to 40 different game systems and computer systems, so I'd like to know why you'd compose such a statement in the first place, assuming that we "fucking hate video games" and assuming we've "almost certainly played Super Smash Bros. Melee or its sequel, Super Smash Bros. Brawl." We have not, nor care to.

Thanks for your time if you read this all the way through, and it doesn't mean I won't poke around your site, or read other articles composed by you, it's just something that hit me in the face, so to state, because it's making an assumption and a claim without a basis of fact.

I wish you all the well, and take care.

--
Tyrone L. Warbasse

First of all, it is my opinion and it not presented as fact. It is not explicitly stated as opinion because it doesn't have to be. This isn't third grade English class, and you should be able to infer that it's an opinion without me directing stating so. I consistently use the first person at various points in my articles, and if you were a regular reader of the site, or if you had even read further, that would have become very apparent.

Secondly, I stand by my statement. You don't have to own a Smash Bros. game. You don't have to play it religiously. You don't even have to have played it more than once or twice. But if you profess to love video games and you are not at least dimly aware of two of Nintendo's biggest selling console games in the last 8 years, their rosters, and their mechanics, then yes, something is definitely and seriously wrong with you. If you immediately wrote these games off and never even attempted to play one of these games just because someone told you that they have a jump button, then I openly question your alleged passion for video games. I fucking hate the Halo series. Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3 are vapid, cliche, and completely uninspired excuses for first person shooters. And while I do not and will not ever own them, if I'm over a friend's house and the majority of people there want to play Halo, I don't throw a hissy fit and run out of the room; I join in and make the most out of the experience. Sir, you seem to be entirely too judgmental and entirely too hasty in your decisions. You say that you will never consider playing a Smash Bros. game because you think pressing a button to jump is stupid. You say that you refuse to read my article because you didn't like the first line. I pity you, sir. You are overly emotional, and you have likely missed out on many great experiences in love, life, and video games because of this.

- Syd Lexia

PS: If you had ever actually bothered to play Melee or Brawl, you'd know that you can jump by pressing up.
Teralyx
Title: Master Exploder
PostPosted: Apr 07 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

The "PS" was the first thing to come to mind that I wanted to say to this AssHat.

<TheFlamingSchnitzel> Didn't your mom teach you not to punch girls?
<FigNewton> I was too busy /punchin' her/

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Apr 07 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Why do idiots latch on to statements like that? I mean seriously. Syd didn't even say the games were GOOD, he just said most if not all modern gamers are aware of SSBB. Which is fucking DUH, as Syd has already eloquently explained above. What a tool. I mean, I am by NO means an SSBB fan at all, but even I was aware it was coming out, and have played it at my friends house a few times. Exactly like Syd said. Sheesh. Rolling Eyes

Everything else I could say, Syd's already said, so I'll leave it at that. Great answer, Boss. Smile

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 07 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it's amazing how people latch on to statements like that. It's a joke, don't take it so seriously or in a personal manner. Geesh.
jackfrost
Title: Cold Hearted Bastard
PostPosted: Apr 07 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have to wonder how people like that behave in their daily life.

[img]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/akajackfrost/megaman.jpg[/img]

Reply to topic

Jump to: