[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
the cost of building your very own Death Star

Reply to topic
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
As fans already learned, the Death Star isn’t only huge, it’s apparently easily destroyed. Kinda makes you wonder how much it would cost to construct a Death Star of your very own. Luckily, someone else figured it out. Ryszard Gold considered the Death Star’s size, the price to launch it into space, and all the air you need to fill it so you and your own Tarkin BFF can run up and down the passageways.

Add it all up, and we have a figure of exactly:
$15,602,022,489,829,821,422,840,226 and 94 cents.
Tell you what, I’ll pitch in the 94 cents.

That is a lot of money. Wait, no that’s a disgustingly large sum of money. How much exactly? $15 Septillion, I told you. But how can we conceive of that number? Well, the figures I could find for the World Economic Value were pretty general, around $14 Trillion USD. In other words, the DS would cost 1.11 TRILLION times the amount of money available in the world, that’s not even including the fact that the majority of that is digital and not physical.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2009/02/03/one-death-star-for-15-septillion/
http://rickgold.info/ds/Site/Welcome.html

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I saw this a few weeks back. Something tells me that forced labor and stealing goods makes the cost go down significantly.

That is the power of the Dark Side of the Force.

username
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
I saw this a few weeks back. Something tells me that forced labor and stealing goods makes the cost go down significantly.

That is the power of the Dark Side of the Force.

hehe, or you could just hire a bunch of illegals. you can usually find them in front of home depot Laughing

This Is A Joke

Klimbatize wrote:

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 08:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And besides credits are easy to come by if kotor is to be believed. Kath hounds have like 500 credits on them at all times

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 09:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:
And besides credits are easy to come by if kotor is to be believed. Kath hounds have like 500 credits on them at all times

Well... you have to be slightly well equipped to handle a Kath hound.

I mean... grandma isn't going to be hunting those things.

Also, the Death Star was created nearly 4000 years later. So one must account for inflation.

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 09:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't believe you launch it into space. You build in space. The price of minerals go down do to gigantic automated mining operations on asteroids. Also consider the empire has the collective economies of several planets on its side, some covered entirely in cities.

The hardest part would be maintaining air supply. The empires folly is a blend of hubris and the need to intimidate and crush its foes entirely, which compells them to build gigantic impractical weapons like the Death Star and AT-ATs and star destroyers.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 09:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

RobotGumshoe wrote:
I don't believe you launch it into space. You build in space. The price of minerals go down do to gigantic automated mining operations on asteroids. Also consider the empire has the collective economies of several planets on its side, some covered entirely in cities.

The hardest part would be maintaining air supply. The empires folly is a blend of hubris and the need to intimidate and crush its foes entirely, which compells them to build gigantic impractical weapons like the Death Star and AT-ATs and star destroyers.

They need a mother maid.

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Feb 20 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

RobotGumshoe wrote:

You do build it in space, remember the DS in RotJ? Not finished, and still actively being constructed...in space.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Feb 21 2009 05:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah it's the size of a planet, so it's kind of entirely impossible to build it on a...planet. And of course, the Empire has money from more than one world, so there ya go.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 21 2009 05:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
Yeah it's the size of a planet, so it's kind of entirely impossible to build it on a...planet. And of course, the Empire has money from more than one world, so there ya go.

You know, that brings up a technical aspect of the DS I never considered before. Wouldn't something the size of a planet also have the gravity of a planet? And if so, wouldn't it throw off the orbit of Earth and anything else around it? I'm sure the Empire had some way around it (either via the Force or some whizz-bang gravity control technology), but for "practically" building it IRL...that would be a huge consideration.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Feb 21 2009 05:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

wow, shit. That's really...hmm...wow.

Haha, that kinda blew my mind. There's tractor beam technology, so there's probably the opposite hahaha

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Feb 22 2009 02:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

You know, that brings up a technical aspect of the DS I never considered before. Wouldn't something the size of a planet also have the gravity of a planet? And if so, wouldn't it throw off the orbit of Earth and anything else around it? I'm sure the Empire had some way around it (either via the Force or some whizz-bang gravity control technology), but for "practically" building it IRL...that would be a huge consideration.

You bring up a very good point. If you make the DS, and its the size of the moon, with moon gravity, why bother with the laser?

I mean, just send it to orbit around the planet, then watch as the ecosystem is obliterated and the whole thing is flung into another orbit with all the problems that entails. Just make it a ball of metal with rockets inside. Gravity FTW.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 22 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

While it is large and most certainly has some form of gravitational field, it is not as dense as a planet or other celestial body. It also doesn't seem to have an orbit or rotation of it's own since it can have its main weapon directed on demand.

What is interesting is that the Death Star does have simulated gravity inside it. I imagine that this creates an "Up and Down" rather than a "north and south" effect. The people at the bottom of the Death Star are still standing upright rather than upside down.

What type of affect would simulated gravity have on external objects?

So many questions...

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Feb 22 2009 01:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
What is interesting is that the Death Star does have simulated gravity inside it. I imagine that this creates an "Up and Down" rather than a "north and south" effect. The people at the bottom of the Death Star are still standing upright rather than upside down.

So many questions...

Very interesting. I once saw a show on History Channel about the technology in Star Wars (and one on Star Trek). I wonder if that was covered.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 22 2009 03:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

While it is large and most certainly has some form of gravitational field, it is not as dense as a planet or other celestial body. It also doesn't seem to have an orbit or rotation of it's own since it can have its main weapon directed on demand.

So many questions...

Couple of excellent points I hadn't considered. I guess your last question there would depend on how far the "simulated" gravity extends. Is it limited to within the walls of the station, or does it reach out farther? I'm kind of assuming it stays within in the walls, since it would be hard to keep the guns/towers/etc on the outside if simulated gravity was pulling them in different directions. It would probably also end up smashing TIE fighters and X-wings into the station (depending on the power of the gravity vs the power of their thrusters.)

militarysignatures.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 22 2009 06:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

So many questions...

Couple of excellent points I hadn't considered. I guess your last question there would depend on how far the "simulated" gravity extends. Is it limited to within the walls of the station, or does it reach out farther? I'm kind of assuming it stays within in the walls, since it would be hard to keep the guns/towers/etc on the outside if simulated gravity was pulling them in different directions. It would probably also end up smashing TIE fighters and X-wings into the station (depending on the power of the gravity vs the power of their thrusters.)

No doubt, it is contained within the unit.

But what type of weight would a room full of simulated gravity have?

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 22 2009 06:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

So many questions...

Well (and this is why I was wondering about the gravitational pull of the DS) I assume that to make something the size of a planet, that simulates the gravity of a planet so people can walk in it normally...it must have some kind of equivalent pull. Perhaps not in the same direction as a normal planet, since like you said its more than likely made so that everyone in the DS is "upright" no matter where they are. Still. I would think that if you bring that thing into a solar system, it would start screwing things up pretty badly. (Then again, maybe their laser has such a range that that never becomes an issue).

Still, it would be amusing to know that the thing is so big its constantly pulling in asteroids and stuff. Especially if one of those asteroids happens to fall into the trench, and down the exhaust pipe...lmao Laughing

No doubt, it is contained within the unit.

But what type of weight would a room full of simulated gravity have?

militarysignatures.com

Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: Feb 22 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know, one thing I thought star trek always had one thing on star wars in that you could find exactly how most of the ships are laid out and what room is what (I.E. Hacker's Guide to The Enterprise) somewhere. What's in the death star besides all the shit we saw in the movies? Where do the people live? Do they eat? What do the storm troopers look like underneath the helmet (since they are clones and are supposed to look the same)? Why is the writing in a completely different language?

I mean this in a simply curious way. It is something that has grated at me for a while.

Also, without a room by room layout of the death star, how can a cost be designated to it?

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Feb 23 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't seen the Star Wars movies in a while, but does the Death Star actually move? How much would it cost to actually move the thing? Or to run the entire thing with all of its appliances for a full 24 hours, given it's the size of a planet?

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 23 2009 01:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Shut up, Dorn"]You know, one thing I thought star trek always had one thing on star wars in that you could find exactly how most of the ships are laid out and what room is what (I.E. Hacker's Guide to The Enterprise) somewhere. What's in the death star besides all the shit we saw in the movies? Where do the people live? Do they eat? What do the storm troopers look like underneath the helmet (since they are clones and are supposed to look the same)? Why is the writing in a completely different language?

I mean this in a simply curious way. It is something that has grated at me for a while.

Also, without a room by room layout of the death star, how can a cost be designated to it?[/quote

Well, the people in the article the OP posted were just giving a rough estimate based on its estimated size, using that to extrapolate the cost of materials and shooting them into space. I don't think he even calculated labor or anything.

And Cam, as far as I understand it, the DS is supposed to be a mobile space station. That planet destroying laser wouldn't do much to strike fear throughout the galaxy unless it was mobile. (Or had amazing range. Which is possible I suppose, but...)

militarysignatures.com

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Feb 23 2009 02:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

No it moved. And the Stormtroopers are clones as well as regular people (both human and otherwise). And the Death Star is the size of a planet. Is has its own civilization really. But remember that it's basically hollow in the center. So it's not your average aircraft (as if it is anyway).

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Feb 23 2009 08:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Death Star wasn't really the size of a planet. According to Wookieepedia the Death Star I had a diameter of 160 km, while the Death Star II was more than five times that size with 900 km in diameter. Just so you have a feel for the numbers, our Moon has a diameter of 3500 km and the Earth is about 12700 km wide on the equator.

As for gravity, I did some rough estimates. The gravitational acceleration on the surface of the first Death Star is in the ballpark of 0.03 m/s², that of the second Death Star is around 0.19 m/s². That's only accounting for natural gravity due to mass, not for any artificial gravity. For comparison, on the Moon we have a gravitational acceleration of 1.62 m/s² and, as we all know, the acceleration on Earth is 9.81 m/s².

It also seems like the article about the cost has an error. The author used the diameter of 160 km to calculate the volume of the Death Star when he should have used the radius. So the real cost for the materials should be lower.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 23 2009 08:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Shut up, Dorn wrote:
You know, one thing I thought star trek always had one thing on star wars in that you could find exactly how most of the ships are laid out and what room is what (I.E. Hacker's Guide to The Enterprise) somewhere. What's in the death star besides all the shit we saw in the movies? Where do the people live? Do they eat? What do the storm troopers look like underneath the helmet (since they are clones and are supposed to look the same)? Why is the writing in a completely different language?

Also, without a room by room layout of the death star, how can a cost be designated to it?

Given its size and 3D shape, this would be a challenge even for Google Maps.

Tyop wrote:
The Death Star wasn't really the size of a planet. According to Wookieepedia the Death Star I had a diameter of 160 km, while the Death Star II was more than five times that size with 900 km in diameter. Just so you have a feel for the numbers, our Moon has a diameter of 3500 km and the Earth is about 12700 km wide on the equator.

As for gravity, I did some rough estimates. The gravitational acceleration on the surface of the first Death Star is in the ballpark of 0.03 m/s², that of the second Death Star is around 0.19 m/s². That's only accounting for natural gravity due to mass, not for any artificial gravity. For comparison, on the Moon we have a gravitational acceleration of 1.62 m/s² and, as we all know, the acceleration on Earth is 9.81 m/s².

It also seems like the article about the cost has an error. The author used the diameter of 160 km to calculate the volume of the Death Star when he should have used the radius. So the real cost for the materials should be lower.

This is awesome.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Feb 23 2009 02:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:

Tyop wrote:

This is awesome.

Seriously. Tyop wins lol.

militarysignatures.com

username
PostPosted: Feb 23 2009 02:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

wow, cant believe this thread went this in-depth

Klimbatize wrote:

Reply to topic

Jump to: