"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Let Me Fall

Reply to topic
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 05:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So CNN is reporting right now that Chrsyler and GM are asking for an additional $21 BILLION to survive. That's in ADDITTION to what they already got back in December.

They, of course, are claiming the economy will get worse if we don't pay them billions of dollars right now for cars we don't care to buy.

Let them fall as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't get $1 billion to be bailed out.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 05:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love how they are essentially extorting the U.S. Government.

"Give us the cash, or the economy gets it!!"

RIP Hacker.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 05:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, if the government gives me $20 billion dollars, I will create a new car company, employ all those people, and make it a successful business.

Shit, I'll pay back the 20 billion in 5 years and you will all be driving my petroleum free cars.

As an alternative, I think that those companies should have to offer their patents to the general public. Allow for competition without repercussions.

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 05:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever happened to these companies getting shut down? That would stop the debt from growing so high.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 06:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't assume I have an opinion one way or another, but do remember that a few hundred thousand people suddenly out of work is the last thing the economy needs right now.
SevereFlame
Title: Superpowered President
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 06:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

21 billion? Fuck you. Your cars are shit anyway.
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 06:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

But a few hundred thousand people working at a failing business isn't what we need either.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Ghandi
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 06:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No company is too big to fail. If they didn't want to need government handouts they'd have run a better business.

What do you hink they'll do with the $21 billion anyway? Probably buy a jet Wink

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 06:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How about we use the 20 billion to start a brand new car company?

Ghandi
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 06:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, the letters sent to CNN about the car bailout weren't sugar coated. Only 1 person they showed on the air wanted to bail them out.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

IceWarm
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 07:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How do they come up with 21 billion? Why not just 20, a round number. Anyway they want more money to make more crappy cars that get crappy gas mileage. Also they ask for all this money and then lay off a ton of workers. Wouldn't the payroll of the employees that got laid off give them a nice amount of money? Why ask for more? So they can buy private jets and pay huge bonuses to people who don't deserve them?

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Teralyx
Title: Master Exploder
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

IceWarm wrote:
How do they come up with 21 billion? Why not just 20, a round number.
Because rounding down by a billion to get a "round number" isn't the most economic way to do things.

<TheFlamingSchnitzel> Didn't your mom teach you not to punch girls?
<FigNewton> I was too busy /punchin' her/

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I so feel where you're coming from on this. I had a similar reaction today when I heard a guy on the radio whining about how the bank "wasn't doing enough to help him with his mortgage."

Now don't get me wrong, I like Obama's idea to help people who are in bad mortgages--not on principle, but I think its a necessary thing that will do a good amount of overall good.

This guy, though, almost made me change my mind. When did it become the bank's responsibility to "help" people who took loans and mortgages they knew they couldn't afford? I mean, I'm sure some people were genuinely lied to or had shit misrepresented to them, but not THIS many people. I mean, my mom waited until she could afford it to buy a house (and that was until she was almost 50). I'm waiting. And the student loans I have taken, I have never missed a payment on. Fuck this asshole for thinking he deserves a handout just because he's a moron.

Like I said, I approve of the 'mortgage bailout' as it were, and I think it will help a lot. But on principle, it kills me that assholes like him are feeling ENTITLED to it. If I was in his shoes I would take the help, but I'd fucking be curled up in shame over it. And I DAMN sure wouldn't be on a radio station talking about it.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Feb 18 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
I so feel where you're coming from on this. I had a similar reaction today when I heard a guy on the radio whining about how the bank "wasn't doing enough to help him with his mortgage."

Now don't get me wrong, I like Obama's idea to help people who are in bad mortgages--not on principle, but I think its a necessary thing that will do a good amount of overall good.

This guy, though, almost made me change my mind. When did it become the bank's responsibility to "help" people who took loans and mortgages they knew they couldn't afford? I mean, I'm sure some people were genuinely lied to or had shit misrepresented to them, but not THIS many people. I mean, my mom waited until she could afford it to buy a house (and that was until she was almost 50). I'm waiting. And the student loans I have taken, I have never missed a payment on. Fuck this asshole for thinking he deserves a handout just because he's a moron.

Like I said, I approve of the 'mortgage bailout' as it were, and I think it will help a lot. But on principle, it kills me that assholes like him are feeling ENTITLED to it. If I was in his shoes I would take the help, but I'd fucking be curled up in shame over it. And I DAMN sure wouldn't be on a radio station talking about it.

In my opinion it's one of the downside of consumer culture, people want what they think they need so bad they're willing to take all sorts of ridiculous risks for it. Example working at a call center I've had to at times answer the phone for loan companies. During these calls you (the applicant) answer a slew of Y/N questions I (representing loan company) ask you which I then run through a program which checks your answers and decides if you pre qualify or not. People routinely are declined for a multitude of reasons based on their answers, and many MANY of them call right back and change their answers to see if they can slip through and get pre approved. Now is it just me or is lying during a loan application kind of STUPID? Confused They don't care about the consequences, they just want whatever the slick commercial led them to believe is the next big quick fix answer to their problems, be they perceived or real.

Ghandi
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just for reference, in December they got $17 Billion.

They now want $21 Billion.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 09:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

RobotGumshoe wrote:
How about we use the 20 billion to start a brand new car company?

Hey, like I said in my post, I'll fucking run that shit and pay back the money in 5 years!

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 09:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

In my opinion it's one of the downside of consumer culture, people want what they think they need so bad they're willing to take all sorts of ridiculous risks for it. Example working at a call center I've had to at times answer the phone for loan companies. During these calls you (the applicant) answer a slew of Y/N questions I (representing loan company) ask you which I then run through a program which checks your answers and decides if you pre qualify or not. People routinely are declined for a multitude of reasons based on their answers, and many MANY of them call right back and change their answers to see if they can slip through and get pre approved. Now is it just me or is lying during a loan application kind of STUPID? Confused They don't care about the consequences, they just want whatever the slick commercial led them to believe is the next big quick fix answer to their problems, be they perceived or real.

In all fairness, it's not ENTIRELY the people who took the loans faults. They were being flat out lied to by the people giving them the loan. What happened was these people were giving out ridiculous loans and then were selling them to larger loan companies (The larger companies were doing this in such high volume that they didn't bother to actually review any of the loans before buying them to see that they were completely impossible to repay). They didn't care if the loans could ever be paid because the agent had his commission and he company had its money back. A coworker of mine was looking at buying a house when all this was happening. He and his wife had done all the math and knew that the absolute maximum they could afford was a $225,000 mortage. They were approved for up to $450,000 and when he explained that there's no way they could possibly do that, they just tried to convince him that he was wrong. The people who fell for this are still idiots for not actually checking any of this information, but the companies were also flat out lying to them.

Funny, because it's those two groups of people that were wrong, and yet I'm the one who has to suffer for it to save them from their stupidity and/or corruption.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

In any other economic climate, I'd say "Fuck 'em". Even if it would create an economic downturn, there comes a point where your business isn't viable and nobody will give you a loan to keep it afloat. That should include the Feds.

In today's times, however, I'm not sure of that position. A metric fuckton of people depend on the auto industry in this country. And it's far more than you think. If GM goes under, the people who make the cars lose jobs. The people who make the parts lose jobs. The people who deliver the cars lose jobs. The people who sell them, and fix them, and probably a whole slew of people I can't think of right now, are gonna be in serious danger of losing their job or lose it altogether. A few hundred thousand people out of work (or more) in a time where there ARE no jobs. All now on welfare and unemployment. And it's not like it's THEIR fault the company they work for is tanking.

I say instead of writing a check, the Government just fucking takes the company over, fires all the CEOs, and hands it to someone who knows what they're doing. Not ideal, but hey, they work cheaper and can't fuck up worse.
Milhouse
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck them. I'm getting laid-off, but I still have to pay taxes to support this bullshit. You know taxes, right? Those silly little things that Timothy Geithner and Tom Daschle neglected to pay...oh,. and according to the Washington Post, "about two-thirds of corporations operating in the United States did not pay taxes annually from 1998 to 2005."
Space Fury
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Your federal government could sell out and place banner adds on all of their websites.

I'm sure that the money they generate using Google's tools would cover the bribe they gave me so that I don't destroy the planet.

YOU WERE AN EASY OPPONENT.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Milhouse wrote:
And according to the Washington Post, "about two-thirds of corporations operating in the United States did not pay taxes annually from 1998 to 2005."

That statement reeks of bullshit.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Milhouse wrote:
Fuck them. I'm getting laid-off, but I still have to pay taxes to support this bullshit. You know taxes, right? Those silly little things that Timothy Geithner and Tom Daschle neglected to pay...oh,. and according to the Washington Post, "about two-thirds of corporations operating in the United States did not pay taxes annually from 1998 to 2005."

i know what you mean, man.

working in collections, i hear that all day long. especially coming from california. and i just read that they are about to lay off 20k more state employees, on top of all the budget issues they are having.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Blackout wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

In all fairness, it's not ENTIRELY the people who took the loans faults. They were being flat out lied to by the people giving them the loan. What happened was these people were giving out ridiculous loans and then were selling them to larger loan companies (The larger companies were doing this in such high volume that they didn't bother to actually review any of the loans before buying them to see that they were completely impossible to repay). They didn't care if the loans could ever be paid because the agent had his commission and he company had its money back. A coworker of mine was looking at buying a house when all this was happening. He and his wife had done all the math and knew that the absolute maximum they could afford was a $225,000 mortage. They were approved for up to $450,000 and when he explained that there's no way they could possibly do that, they just tried to convince him that he was wrong. The people who fell for this are still idiots for not actually checking any of this information, but the companies were also flat out lying to them.

Funny, because it's those two groups of people that were wrong, and yet I'm the one who has to suffer for it to save them from their stupidity and/or corruption.

I do understand its not totally their fault. I wasn't mad at the guy for his situation as much as I was pissed as his whiny, entitled tone. (Although after thinking about it a bit more, I am a lot more sympathetic to why he was so pissed off.) I was just irritated at the story in general, and this guy really set me off.

I agree with Usa, though. As bad as it is propping those companies up, it would be worse if they tanked and dragged us all down with them. Remember that they employ tons of people outside the US to, so its not even just our country that would be affected. Bailing them out, as much as it grates me to say it (and as much as I'm fucking SURE they're using this as leverage to extort every last penny out of taxpayers they can get) is about the only shot we have right now I think.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Ghandi
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like the system is collapsing upon itself. Which is not surprising since it was built on debt and literally, money out of thin air, with interest on those debts.

Printing more money is likely to do little but delay, the system may need a reboot, from the ground up.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

IceWarm
PostPosted: Feb 19 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is not related to this new proposed auto bailout but one thing last year was right after AIG got a 75 billlion dollar bailout they spent $440,000 for a vacation at the St. Regis Resort. Rooms at that resort go for $1000 per night. They spent all this money on rooms, spa treatments, golf and other stuff that they shouldn't be doing with taxpayer money. Not only did the taxpayers bail them out but then they take the money we gave them and use some of it to go on a vacation...fuck that. Go on vacation after you're repaid us and are profitable again, not right after we just save your asses.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=5973452

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Reply to topic

Jump to: