[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
LOL @ A-Rod

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 09 2009 08:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

So the highest paid guy in baseball is apparently a cheater. Discuss.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 09 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very upsetting.

They might as well put an asterisk on the past 20 years of baseball history. Bunch of cheaters....
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Feb 09 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's really sad. I mean, I understand it's a competitive game, but I feel bad for all the players who are legit and get overshadowed by these 'roid junkies. I honestly think they should be put on some sort of probation that includes therapy depending on the person's mental interaction and feelings about steroids, else they be removed from the league for life. They seem to baby them too much sometimes, but probably because they keep the money these players tend to draw in mind.

RIP Hacker.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 09 2009 01:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
So the highest paid guy in baseball is apparently a cheater. Discuss.

Please don't make me go looking on the internet for my own news. What happened specifically that I should read.

Link please.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 09 2009 01:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dude, just go to ESPN.com.

Frankly, I'm surprised you don't already know. It's been plastered all over TV, radio, and the internet all weekend.
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Feb 09 2009 02:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rycona wrote:
It's really sad. I mean, I understand it's a competitive game, but I feel bad for all the players who are legit and get overshadowed by these 'roid junkies. I honestly think they should be put on some sort of probation that includes therapy depending on the person's mental interaction and feelings about steroids, else they be removed from the league for life. They seem to baby them too much sometimes, but probably because they keep the money these players tend to draw in mind.

I like this idea. I'm not sure what the current policy is, but I also like a three strike rule so if they test positive three times they get a lifetime ban from baseball. But not the Hall of Fame.

I'm not for banning people from the Hall of Fame. I'm also not if favor of an asterisk. Steroids may not have been a part of the golden age of baseball (or sports in general), but cheating was. Cheating is cheating. If eventually steroids was completely removed from sports, someone would come up with a new way to get an unfair edge. If we put an asterisk by the steroids era, its like pretending that cheating didn't happen in other eras. I don't want to blaspheme some of the greats, but for all we know guys like Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, etc could have all been cheaters. Albeit, players are innocent until proven guilty, but that is just individual players. We would be dumb to assume that cheating wasn't always a part of the game. I would be surprised if someone told me that Babe Ruth cheated. But I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that a plethora of great players from the past were dirty.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 09 2009 02:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To quote Stephen Colbert:

"If the game is for our enjoyment, aren't they Enjoyment Enhancing Drugs?"

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 09 2009 03:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

*Sigh* I'm not a huge baseball fan anyway, but its still sad to see all these guys come out and admit to cheating like this. I mean, at least the Chinese gymnasts at the Olympics were pretty blatant about it when they cheated (not with steroids of course, with breaking the minimum age rule, but still...)

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

IceWarm
PostPosted: Feb 09 2009 05:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And now they're saying that leaking the information that A-Rod took steroids could be a crime:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=li-arodlegal020909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I am tired of how these people do steroids and then they have some loophole basically making it OK.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Feb 09 2009 05:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheating's starting to become a pastime in sports, then again it's been around for quite a while...just instead of steroids, it was corked bats and bribings.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 10 2009 08:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:

Frankly, I'm surprised you don't already know. It's been plastered all over TV, radio, and the internet all weekend.

I had been away all weekend.

I have caught up on the story and am not surprised.

At this point I vote that they fire all current baseball players, have a new draft of 12 year old little league players who haven't been exposed to steroids yet, and start the entire thing over with a salary cap. Oh, and test for drug use at the start of the season, mid season and end of season as well as one random check per player per season.

Yeah... baseball will suck for about 15 years, but it sucks as a sport anyways, and at least in 15 years or so no one will remember shit and the game will be clean.... er.

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Feb 10 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

YOU suck as a sport!

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Feb 10 2009 01:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Cattivo wrote:

I have caught up on the story and am not surprised.

At this point I vote that they fire all current baseball players, have a new draft of 12 year old little league players who haven't been exposed to steroids yet, and start the entire thing over with a salary cap. Oh, and test for drug use at the start of the season, mid season and end of season as well as one random check per player per season.

Yeah... baseball will suck for about 15 years, but it sucks as a sport anyways, and at least in 15 years or so no one will remember shit and the game will be clean.... er.

That's good in theory. But there are still cheaters in little league. See Danny Almonte.

Also parents of 12 year olds (at that level) are probably even more competitive than MLB players. I wouldn't be surprised if there was actually more cheating going on.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 10 2009 09:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:

Where, Mars? Razz

Just busting your balls, GP Hammer Time!

I'm thankful that A-Roid at least apologized. I'm not sure if I can condone him eventually being in the HoF, though.
Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Feb 11 2009 05:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I guess that leaves only one kind of Rod you can still trust:

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 11 2009 08:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

Where, Mars? Razz
Close!

Vermont!