"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Samurai Pizza Cats

Reply to topic
TacoFace
Title: Young Gun II
PostPosted: Jul 20 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, listen up, this girl at work yesterday asked a group of us who while eating lunch if we remembered Samurai Pizza Cats. I said I did, but now I'm thinking I may have just been remembering SWAT KATS. Was it just a Ninja Turtles rip-off like the title and memory lead me to believe?
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 20 2006 01:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Pizza_Cats should help you out, as I never really saw it as a ripoff of TMNT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6KjelzkR0A the theme song to Fullmetal Alchemist footage.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jul 20 2006 06:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I remember it being an import of a Japanese show. I don't think I ever watched it, but I remember seeing an ad for it back in an old issue of Disney Insider.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Jul 20 2006 07:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was a remake of the Japanese cartoon Kyatto Ninden Teyandee. And it was a knock off of TMNT when it was americanized, as indicated by the line in the themesong, "They've got more fur than any turtle ever had."

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 20 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I always wondered if the American show followed the Japanese plots or if the show was just recut and redubbed into something new. In particular, I remember an episode where The Big Cheese steals a nuclear potato that plans to use to some nefarious end. I remember thinking, "This can't actually be the original plot of this episode." Of course, back then I didn't know that the Japanese were batshit crazy.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 21 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest change I can remember is that the big Cheese is actually a fox, but because we don't associate rats with nasty, sneaky animals as much as we do big rats, it was a cultural change. The other thing is that Saban's crew didn't have any transcripts, they just had tapes from the show (kinda like how Power Rangers wound up).

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 21 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Foxes are considered to be sneaky and clever in western culture too. There's an old fable about a fox and some bird. The bird has a piece of cheese that the fox wants. So the fox flatters the bird and coaxes it to sing for him. When the bird opens her mouth to sing, she drops the cheese and fox eats it. The reason The Big Cheese was made into a rat was because rats and cats are natural enemies, so they thought it would make more sense to have the Cats' main enemy be a rat.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Jul 21 2006 01:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the storyline was drastically changed when it was brought over. It was basically reduced to one-liners. In the Japanese version, Speedy and Polyester develop a relationship though the course of the series. In America, it sort of spontaneously happens at the end.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Reply to topic

Jump to: