"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Metal Appreciation Thread.

Reply to topic
Penguin_Doomsday
Title: The penguins are comin-
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 04:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, to all of those out there who enjoy a good metal up your ass this thread is for you. Discuss all things that are heavy, loud and Bruce Dickinson!

I don't have a signature. Sorry. Try again later.. probably not though.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 04:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't be afraid, you're safe with me,
Safe as any soul could be ... honestly,
Just let yourself go.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 05:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kinda gives a whole new meaning to "Run to the Hills"
Penguin_Doomsday
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 05:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Just let yourself go.

CAUUUGHT SOMEWHERE IN TI-YE-I-EE-IME! Image

JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 06:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hellz yeah. Metal is, by far my favorite genre of music. I'm the bassist in a metal band, because, dammit, it's what I want to do with my life. I figure I'll name some of my favorites by genre:
Thrash: Sepultura, Slayer, Metallica (KeL, RtL, MoP, DM), Megadeth, Anthrax, Kreator, Hirax, Exodus, Skeletonwitch, Overkill, Exhorder, Demolition Hammer, Sodom, Shah
Death: Obituary, Morbid Angel, Voor, Slaughter (Can.), Death, Dethklok, Deicide (1st album), Vader, Incubus (GA), Dismember, Massacra, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, and I've been getting into Cannibal Corpse, Atheist, Cryptopsy (first two albums), and Cynic
Classic: Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Venom, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Budgie, Diamond Head, and I'm getting into Mercyful Fate
Other: Pantera (favorite band of all time), Down, Darkthrone (especially Soulside Journey), Helloween, Mastodon, Kyuss, Lamb of God (last two albums), Black Label Society, Corrosion of Conformity

Please discuss any of the above groups with me, its what I love doing.

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 06:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

METAL RULES, PRIEST RULES, MAIDEN RULES, BLACK SABBATH, PANTERA, METALLICA RULES, MEGADETH RULES, ANTHRAX, OZZY, HELLOWEEN, ARMORED SAINT, THEY RULE, METAL RULES, EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS, FUCK YOU.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 07:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What are your thoughts on Alex Webster's ass kickery in regards to death metal bass playing?

JStrangiato
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 08:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
What are your thoughts on Alex Webster's ass kickery in regards to death metal bass playing?

He blew me away when I heard the live version of "Hammer Smashed Face". I've checked out a few more songs, and his bass is very good, especially any fills he plays. If I'd discovered him earlier in my masterbassing career, he could have been a huge influence on me. I'd download some more CC, but I'd prefer to buy some albums whenever I'm back in my hometown.
What are your feelings on Steve DiGiorgio? He was a huge influence on me, and is the very reason I do the three fingered gallop technique.
But I'd just like to mention there is none higher in terms of my influence than Clifford Lee Burton. R.I.P.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 08:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love Cliff Burton's playing, without a doubt. I just think his influence is overrated as he only really played on like, 20 some songs ever.
Penguin_Doomsday
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 09:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzell wrote:
I love Cliff Burton's playing, without a doubt. I just think his influence is overrated as he only really played on like, 20 some songs ever.

No fucking way his influence overrated. All four (5 if you include Mustaine) of those guys MADE Metallica. In my opinion, if Kirk or Lars were in Cliffs position, there's a chance that Metallica MAYBE could've continued making great music. But without Cliff Metallica's sound and style COMPLETELY changed, and even before Death Magnetic came out their name was completely tarnished.
There's not many members of bands where you can pick them out and say "They changed the face of music as we know it" but with Cliff, he was definitely one of those people.

Cliff fuckin' B! Image

Blackout
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Watch some of the Burton Bass solos on the Cliff Em All video, that mofo could play a mean bass. Cool

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Oct 24 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I own all of the records until the dreaded black album on vinyl, and I also have cliff em all on VHS so I'm well aware of the man's influence. I just don't think he should be hailed as god of all death metal bass really. I am not understating his awesomeness guys, I'm just giving my opinion, I thought that is what this whole place was about. But when it get's to the point that 14 year old kids can play every song or solo he ever did note for note (or sometimes better) on youtube, you have to fucking move on. There is better shit out there, but he will always be a nostalgic influence to all of us. May he rest in peace.
JRA
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Just let yourself go.

EPIC WIN!!

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

JStrangiato
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzell wrote:
I own all of the records until the dreaded black album on vinyl, and I also have cliff em all on VHS so I'm well aware of the man's influence. I just don't think he should be hailed as god of all death metal bass really. I am not understating his awesomeness guys, I'm just giving my opinion, I thought that is what this whole place was about. But when it get's to the point that 14 year old kids can play every song or solo he ever did note for note (or sometimes better) on youtube, you have to fucking move on. There is better shit out there, but he will always be a nostalgic influence to all of us. May he rest in peace.

It should be noted that Cliff's connection to "death metal bass" was nonexistent given that the genre was in its earliest stages upon Cliff's death. (Mantas demos in '83, Possessed in '84 and '85, Bestial Devastation in '85, and Scream Bloody Gore in '87)
As for my rebuttal. I'll be honest. Cliff wasn't the most technical or fast bassist in the world. But he had an absolutely amazing ear for composition, and a thorough knowledge of theory. The notes of "Orion" and "For Whom the Bell Tolls" just sound so brilliant to my ears. It was Cliff's intro solo to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" (and the song itself) was the key moment where I decided I wanted to pick up a bass. So I do understand that I hold a bias towards Cliff. To say that there is "better shit out there" is subjective anyway.
Also, to my knowledge, no metal band had ever put a three-minute bass solo on an album before, much less their debut album (Though, admittedly, Sabbath came close with "Bassically/N.I.B.). When one factors the usage of distortion (that had really only been used by Motorhead and Venom) and bass wah (which had only been used by Geezer Butler), they can see how innovative Cliff was. Cliff popularized those elements and used them in ways that no one could have imagined. Admittedly, I'm young, and wasn't even a thought in my parents eye when Cliff died. But I still feel the need to state my opinion. I won't say he was the best bassist in the world, because 'best' is largely subjective. But he was the one who had the biggest impact on me, and without him, my life wouldn't be the same.
Sorry to talk your ear off, but what would you expect from a guy with a Cliff Burton avatar? Very Happy

OctoMan
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 09:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Why do people dislike the Black Album so much? I like it. I don't think they started to suck until Load.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Because growing up on their first fabulous albums, it was disapointing to see them go such a mainstream route, and be ass backwards from their beginnings. I don't hate "The Black Album" I just consider it the beginning of their downfall.
Blackout
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sandman, Wherever I May Roam, Unforgiven, and Nothing Else Matters are all great songs, they're not just the ass kicking balls to the wall Metalica that everyone was used to from the first few albums, and I think that's what people don't like, the fact that it's different.

But look at the new single, which sounds like they're trying their damndest to re create the And Justice for All sound, no body really loves that either do they?

Personally I think that the Black album was the last decent album, and that S&M was the last cool thing they ever did. Nothing else after The Black Album or after the S&M project interests me.

Penguin_Doomsday
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 01:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
Sandman, Wherever I May Roam, Unforgiven, and Nothing Else Matters are all great songs, they're not just the ass kicking balls to the wall Metalica that everyone was used to from the first few albums, and I think that's what people don't like, the fact that it's different.

But look at the new single, which sounds like they're trying their damndest to re create the And Justice for All sound, no body really loves that either do they?

Personally I think that the Black album was the last decent album, and that S&M was the last cool thing they ever did. Nothing else after The Black Album or after the S&M project interests me.

Have you listened to Death Magnetic in it's entirety? "The Day That Never Comes" is the only song where I was able to point out some of it's AJFA riffing and its "Fade to Black" song structure. With just about every other song on the album it's like they're actually trying to write balls out heavy metal again, without sounding too much like their 80's thrashness.
PS. And that's beside the fact that they allowed Trujy to add contributions to their songs, Trujillio is the fucking man!

Blackout
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 03:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Penguin_Doomsday wrote:
Blackout wrote:

Have you listened to Death Magnetic in it's entirety? "The Day That Never Comes" is the only song where I was able to point out some of it's AJFA riffing and its "Fade to Black" song structure. With just about every other song on the album it's like they're actually trying to write balls out heavy metal again, without sounding too much like their 80's thrashness.
PS. And that's beside the fact that they allowed Trujy to add contributions to their songs, Trujillio is the fucking man!

No I have not, which is why I'll only comment on the single, I've been wanting to check it out, I just don't have the cash to spend right now.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JRA
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

enshinkarateman wrote:

Also, to my knowledge, no metal band had ever put a three-minute bass solo on an album before, much less their debut album (Though, admittedly, Sabbath came close with "Bassically/N.I.B.).

Manowar- William's Tale/Battle Hymn

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bringing up Metallica in a metal discussion is like bringing up Yoko Ono in a Beatles discussion.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Oct 25 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Penguin_Doomsday
PostPosted: Oct 26 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

MOGHARR wrote:
This
http://history.sydlexia.com/index.php?title=The_List_of_Metal

Pantera's missing. FAIL!

JRA
PostPosted: Oct 26 2008 01:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Penguin_Doomsday wrote:
MOGHARR wrote:
This
http://history.sydlexia.com/index.php?title=The_List_of_Metal

Pantera's missing. FAIL!

I was hoping to find Exhorder on that list after reading that, but I didn't. EPIC FAIL! Mr. Green

Reply to topic

Jump to: