"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Mortal Kombat II

Reply to topic
Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Jul 14 2006 06:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

A friend and I had fun murdering each other on this today, and I was using your article on alt-tab frequently to check new fatalities to do to him.

I got the kintaro one to work Cool

I took a screenshot too but I forgot to paste it into photoshop.
TacoFace
Title: Young Gun II
PostPosted: Jul 18 2006 08:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Am I crazy or is Baraka easily the best fighter in this game? I remember the days when I used to be able to run through MKII on one quarter with that blade-spinning machine. And everyone knows you can't jump kick on Baraka - he will slice you, white bread.

I just felt like ranting about how much I like Baraka in that game.
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Jul 18 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Baraka seems to be pretty dominant in all his games. I don't remember MK3 to well, but in Mortal Kombat: Deception he was pretty amazing. I have sliced and diced many people like they were white bread with that beast.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jul 18 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm terrible at MK in all it's forms, but the only fatality I ever pulled off ever was with Baraka and it was frantic button mashing that brought it about.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Jul 18 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Before me or any of my friends had the internet in elementary school, I remember playing Mortal Kombat on a Sega Genesis and we would always just mash buttons during the "Finish Him" screen praying a fatality would be performed. Whenever one got performed it would be the greatest thing in the world. What great times. I bet all of you here did the same thing when you were younger to didn't you?
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Baraka is a very good fighter. I've never been able to beat him (without cheating) on expert mode in MKII, because he tends to kill you in an average time of 8.2 seconds. Not to mention most of his moves are damn simple to pull off.

But, I'm a story nut, so I rarely play with Baraka because his story line always seemed kinda weak to me. I like the Mileena/Baraka pairing, but the games have yet to utilize it. It's usually just a throw away in an ending where one betrays the other. Where's the reward in that?

On the other hand, finding plot in MK is kinda useless, but I give credit to the games' story writers for attempting to please any die-hard fans who care about such.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

TacoFace
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

You played MK for the story? Crazy...

Anyway, I always liked that Mileena had the same freaky teeth as Baraka, but I didn't even remember they were a couple or whatever. I just figured the Outworld (?) just had shitty orthodontics.

And the simplicity of Baraka's moves is the key - you can pull em off so quickly in a pinch that everyone just gets caught up in that hedgeclipper move. He will slice Liu Kang like a birthday cake.

Call me al Qaeda, cause I have officially hijacked this thread.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 01:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

The only Fatality I ever did without reading a guide ahead of time was Rain's gimpy slice-n-invert uppercut in MK on the N64, whichever one that was.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 01:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe! I Loved that game a lot.

In fact, it was my friend's favorite game, or at least his favorite game out of the "Mortal Kombat" library. Very Happy

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Murdar Machene
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 01:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Baraka is my choice in MKII for sure. I can use almost anyone, but Baraka is probably my best.
Tebor
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 01:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
On the other hand, finding plot in MK is kinda useless, but I give credit to the games' story writers for attempting to please any die-hard fans who care about such.

TacoFace wrote:
You played MK for the story? Crazy...

I'd feel guilty, but then there's this and about fifty other pages collecting the "mythology" which is Mortal Kombat.

Remember, the money lies in appealing to all audiences. Some people may play MK and walk away with one aspect to it, another will play the same game and walk away with 250 different aspects. Having a multi-layered media is essential in this business (heh, I'm starting to sound like Johnny Cage Razz).

None the less, I picked up the story in later years of middle school. When the game first came out, I played with another kid's cartridge. No instructions and always pressed for time to get to the next fight.

For the record, my fav characters in MKII were Rayden and Sub-Zero. Guess I have a thing for non-gay Asians (eat it, Liu).

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Murdar Machene
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 04:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Do you guys agree that Johnny Cage is Peter North?
Jo_thepirate
Title: the Great Bob
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 06:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

LoL .. why not, both do movies Wink
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
a bunch of stuff about plot in MK

And I agree. There's good stuff there. Honestly, MK had oodles more plot than most fighting games, and that's part of what made it so appealing. Heck, there was even an official comic book that tied into the first game -- you had to mail order it.

Part of the reason the first MK movie was so well done is because there was a lot of material for Paul Anderson and co. to work with.
Tebor
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarkMaze wrote:
Part of the reason the first MK movie was so well done is because there was a lot of material for Paul Anderson and co. to work with.

And "Enter the Dragon". Cool

Seriously, MK might be the most faithful video game movie produced yet... unlike certain Tomb Raiders, Doom, Mario Brothers... and Silent Hills...

TacoFace
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't thnk Doom was too unfaithful - fighting monsters on Mars, isn't that the story of Doom? I mean, sure, they made them genetically-engineered instead of opening a portal to Hell, but still - fighting monsters on Mars.

I did find that first-person shooter segment literally nauseating, though. And my biggest complaint was they didn't bring enough of the totally ridiculous-looking demons into the movie (cacodemon, I'm looking at you).
Tebor
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 03:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TacoFace wrote:
I didn't thnk Doom was too unfaithful - fighting monsters on Mars, isn't that the story of Doom? I mean, sure, they made them genetically-engineered instead of opening a portal to Hell, but still - fighting monsters on Mars.

It loses points for "Vaako"'s bullshit backstory and the total lack of Hell in the film. Guns shooting monsters making a loyal movie is like saying the Mario movie was faithful for having Yoshi and mushrooms. Confused Rolling Eyes

I did enjoy both movies regardlessly. The Rock is surprisingly entertaining and Mario is a pretty cool sci-fi/popcorn flick. Dennis Hopper rules (rivaled only by Raul Julia Wink ).

BBH
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 08:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TacoFace wrote:
Am I crazy or is Baraka easily the best fighter in this game?

Jax and Mileena were top-tier. Jax's High Kick was nearly unbeatable air defense, and if you didn't jump on him he could just pound the ground. Mileena was good because of the fast release of her air fireball.

BBH's Waste of Bandwidth - shitty reviews of obscure arcade games

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 08:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm still a big fan of Scorpion. Nothing beats Scorpion.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cattivo
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 08:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Baraka was my favorite character in MKII. Besides the other points mentioned, nothing beats an easily done decapitation or impaling as finishing moves.

As for the movies, I still laugh at how horrible the second one is whenever it's on cable. Dear lord is that one corny. It's so dramatically corny too because the first movie was actually decent.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Baraka was my favorite character in MKII. Besides the other points mentioned, nothing beats an easily done decapitation or impaling as finishing moves.

As for the movies, I still laugh at how horrible the second one is whenever it's on cable. Dear lord is that one corny. It's so dramatically corny too because the first movie was actually decent.

And James Remar as Raiden made me cringe throughout the whole movie.

And I think I'm with Syd on Scorpion "pwnage", as the kids would say these days. But it'd be a close call. The palette-swapped ninjas (pre-Rain/Ermac/etc.) and Raiden were always my favorites. Incidentally, MK was the one fighting game series where I didn't prefer the female characters. Normally I'm all about the Chun Li/B. Orchid/Ayane/etc. with their quick, leggy moves. Wink
TacoFace
PostPosted: Jul 20 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Scorpion's my number 2 guy, and in MKI he's number one all the way. Nothing beats his teleport punch upside the back o' yo head. Plus, he's a skeleton, so that's cool. And he's got everyone's favorite quote - "Get Over Here!"

Oh, and Baraka's head slice fatality - simple, brutal, effective. And the same animation as his standard slice move.
Tebor
PostPosted: Jul 20 2006 06:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TacoFace wrote:
Oh, and Baraka's head slice fatality - simple, brutal, effective. And the same animation as his standard slice move.

I've always been partial to his impale and slide fatality, especially when there's a twitch involved.

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jul 20 2006 07:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How about least favorite MKII characters?
Cattivo
PostPosted: Jul 20 2006 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't like Mileena much, didn't seem to have any useful or flexible moves.

There's also Jax, who just seemed slow. Also, Johnny Cage seemed to outlive his usefulness after the first one. He was kind of good then, but by the second he was vastly overpowered by others' special moves.
Reply to topic

Jump to: