SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Summer Cleaning Crapstravaganza - BASIC and more

Reply to topic
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jul 12 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Is it just me or do the goofy Halloween animals on that alleged costume also appear in the end credits of "Count Duckula"?

Since you brought up BASIC programming in your article: I had much the same experience when I picked up a "Program Your Own Computer Games" book from my elementary school library. Fortunately, I did have a computer, and while those BASIC games were certainly not the type of video games I was used to, it was still pretty neat to have made something.

I ended up doing a lot of fiddling with BASIC, and eventually moved on to QBASIC, which I thought was the coolest thing ever. (Mind you, REAL programmers were using C++ and other languages at this point, but no matter.) I expanded from text games into simple pseudo-graphical games where you had to get from point A to point B while avoiding a "baddie" who took two steps for every one of yours. All the "characters", however, were just letters or symbols from the ANSI character set.

I was quite the youngin', but this became my hobby. I'd bring a notebook with me everywhere and scribble down lines of code while working out a new game idea in my head.

In middle school, our classroom had an ancient Apple IIe. After discovering how to get the sucker into programming mode and learning the quirks of Apple's variant of BASIC, I'd program games in home room and show them off to classmates. Unfortunately, something was wrong with the computer and it wouldn't save to a disk, so I only had 55 minutes per day to make a game and show it to people before it was destroyed forever.

I got pretty fast at it, though, and I continued to work out code ahead of time and write out the longer, more complicated programs on paper to save me time.

One of my home room triumphs was a 2-D fighting game drawn entirely with ASCII characters: a zero for the combatant's head, slashes for the arms and legs (which became dashes when you kicked or punched), and a "|" for the torso. You could throw fireballs (asterisks), too. But the best part was that, in an homage to my love of MK, you could perform a fatality, knocking the other stickman off "the pit" and into a bed of "spikes". It was swell.

I later recreated some of those games in high school on a TI-83 calculator, once I learned that its programming language was a hobbled version of BASIC.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 12 2006 03:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was wanted to be good at QBasic, but I never quite got there. I got further along than I did with VisualBasic, but I really never did anything execept text-based programs. The most graphical thing I did was a half-assed Logo. Generally, I resigned myself to over-ambitious programs that took way more effort to make than they were worth. For example, I tried to make an ASCII-based poker program at one point. I never finished it because I got sick of defined the various hands and what they beat. I also tried to make a medieval text adventure that included Final Fantasy style battles, but I got sick of defining variables for weapons, armor, and spells. That too, was never completed.

Eventually I found a program called ZZT, which was a graphical programming language that used ASCII characters. It had a set of predefined items for convenience, but you could program your own and do all sorts of clever things. One of the best ones that I played was a fan-made Zelda ZZT that included a working hookshot as one of the items. I made a couple of ones that I was really proud of, but they were lost in the annals of time when the old family Compudyne bit the dust.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jul 12 2006 03:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Eventually I found a program called ZZT, which was a graphical programming language that used ASCII characters. It had a set of predefined items for convenience, but you could program your own and do all sorts of clever things. One of the best ones that I played was a fan-made Zelda ZZT that included a working hookshot as one of the items. I made a couple of ones that I was really proud of, but they were lost in the annals of time when the old family Compudyne bit the dust.

OH MY GOD! I loved ZZT!!

I made a million games with that damn thing. Most of mine, too, have been lost forever. Some of my favorites were ZZT recreations of the X-Men arcade game, and my own sequels to it. I also did some collaborative projects with a friend online, which were a lot of fun: "Double WEIRD" and "Triple WEIRD", based on a series of ZZT games he had done before.

I tried to break free of the overhead-view format from time to time, too. I once made a 2-D platform game with a lot of clever object programming. I still have a handful of my games, but not that one.
B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Jul 12 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

may i suggest a Basic/Qbasic/Visbasic/ZZT Game based on the halarity that is syd's life?

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 13 2006 01:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Programming in QBasic was awesome. It made me want to be a programmer. Once I actually started training to be one in college however, I realized that programming sucks. QB was fun because I was trying to do really complex things like nested functions and linked lists, but I had NO idea what those things were. You could use functions in QB, but until I had formal instruction in C++ in high school I couldn't figure out how functions worked, so I did it using an ENORMOUSLY overcomplicated series of goto statements and a shitload of variables that were essentially the equivalent of flags.

Basically, I love the logic puzzle aspect of making a complex program using like 3 or 4 different commands, which is probably why I enjoyed learning assembly language so much.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

GreenFire1
PostPosted: Jul 14 2006 05:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a little worried by how many of those programs contain robots in some form or another. It figures, of course, since back then was when robots were "in", as it were. Hence Megaman - he was born in an era when people liked a) robots and b) guys with large, preferably technobabble-stuffed guns, so Capcom made a small, lovable blue amalgam of the two (who has been around in some form or another for over fifty distinct games). Still, it's a bit ironic that robots are going into programs, rather than the other way around.

The opinion I hold of fanfics in general is that they are like the night sky. The good ones are the stars, and the shittastic ones fill the black space in between.
- Original quote

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Jul 25 2006 03:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I dabbled a little in Apple BASIC on the old Apple computers in my 7th grade math class, but like DarkMaze, I couldn't save them. My teacher even offered to give me one of the old Apple computers at the end of the year to practice with, but my parents said I couldn't take it.

Reply to topic

Jump to: