[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
UMD Movies are dead

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jul 15 2006 03:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3266

I don't own a PSP, so this doesn't affect me at all. I'm surprised they lasted this long; it was a pretty dumb idea in the first place. The new movie memory sticks sound like they could work... but:

Quote:
In typical Sony fashion, moving to the Memory Stick Duo as a movies release platform makes more sense, but the execution is convoluted and expensive. The 1GB version is $60 and the 2GB version $100, and you only get what look to be lame Sony Pictures releases (Hitch, S.W.A.T., The Grudge, or XXX: State of the Union??)- not much of a catalogue. To make matters worse, Sony steps down the resolution to 240x320 instead of the nicer 480x272 the PSP can do. Meanwhile, most people are simply converting DVDs to MPEG-4 and copy movies onto the PSP with a simple USB cable. Don’t expect this new move to change that.

On the plus side, no more of those redundant discs cluttering up store shelves or taking up space in the Sunday ads. Hurray!

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 15 2006 06:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

UMD, this is what I'm going to do to you: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325597/
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jul 15 2006 09:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
UMD, this is what I'm going to do to you: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325597/

I'm right there with ya.

Boy, I'll sure miss the opportunity to buy fullscreen versions of movies that cost more than DVDs but have no special features and can only be watched on a screen the size of a postage stamp. Rolling Eyes
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jul 15 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, nice attempt at a handheld Sony, but the DS whups the PSPs ass in my opinion. I never did see the appeal of UMD movies for it, I personally prefer to watch movies on a fairly good sized screen in the comfort of my (or someone else's that I've broken into) home, whereas having the option of playing the whole spectrum of GBA games and DS games on one hand-held is far more enticing. The PSP is just interesting until you get over the intial wow factor, then you realize it has a shitty game library and watching movies on it is stupid.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jul 15 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a portable DVD player. It was cheap, it's got a 7" screen, and it plays the DVD movies I already own. Amazing!
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jul 15 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarkMaze wrote:
I have a portable DVD player. It was cheap, it's got a 7" screen, and it plays the DVD movies I already own. Amazing!

Hahaha, exactly!

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

shadowforce420
PostPosted: Jul 29 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

anyone who bought a PSP for movies was dumb anyway, like DarkMaze, if you wanna watch movies on the road just get a portable dvd player, it's cheaper. Next year it'll be the same thing with blu-ray.

"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." - Jesse Ventura

R.I.P. Sherri

Sock
Title: Master Fornicator
PostPosted: Jul 29 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man, let's not get into next gen media. There's Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, both play on different hardware. We have two next gen mediums that are going to compete for a market. That's just bad news all around. I don't expect either of them to take off within the next two years. Monitors (this includes TV) have to catch up to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD before people start to even notice the extra detail that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD offer.
shadowforce420
PostPosted: Jul 29 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Chill, it was a joke. It took DVD 8 years to become the standard, I don't expect either one to be huge right off the bat. I should've wrote that it was sarcasm.

R.I.P. Sherri

Sock
Title: Master Fornicator
PostPosted: Jul 29 2006 03:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

In your defense, I don't think you expected a hecka dork to come in here and tell you why you won't be using a portable Blu-Ray player next year.
shadowforce420
PostPosted: Jul 29 2006 04:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well I can tell you why, I don't care. I didn't get a DVD player until it was the standard and I'll do the same with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, doesn't matter to me as long as I can still play my DVD's on it.

R.I.P. Sherri

Reply to topic

Jump to: