"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Getting lost in portables

Reply to topic
Fortune Smiles
Title: Strangely Missing
PostPosted: Sep 04 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What was the first portable system OR game that got you into portable gaming?

For me it was Link's Awakening. I couldn't believe that that big of an adventure was contained on such a tiny machine. Of course I got my gameboy in '91. Mario Land got me into portable gaming first, but L.A. was the game that got me going. Mega Man II, for the GameBoy, got me going too. I used to play these games for hours... days... weeks. And as Syd said, the TMNT games on the LCD platform sucked other than the fact that they were handheld. GameBoy ruled. FFTA for GameBoy Advance was decent too, for what it was worth. But none of the new games touch what we had. Final Fantasy Legend 1-3 and Adventure. Great games for anyone to grow up with. Add Kirby and Wario, and you have a winner system. But GameGear, Gameboy Advance, and the DS espouse possibility.

But again, what portable game did it for you?
Lottel
Title: of the Eternal BWOG
PostPosted: Sep 04 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Link's Awakening for the Ice Blue Gameboy. Also my first Zelda game. Not a bad choice to start portable gaming and Zelda. I still love to play it a lot. My favorite portable game to date and still one of the best Zelda games.

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: Sep 04 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Game Gear with Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos bundle way back.

Then I got a Game Boy Color with Link's Awakening DX and Pokemon Blue. The rest is history. Neo Geo Pocket Color was good too, for SNK vs. Capcom alone.

It's become now that the only current gen console I own is a DS.

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Sep 04 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I got a special edition Game Boy Color that was yellow with pokemon on it and came with Pokemon Yellow. That lasted me a good while, until I turned off my pokemon game after I beat the Elite 4, not knowing that the game isn't over after you beat them and also not knowing that the game saves AFTER the credits are done. But after I got Killer Instinct and Dragon Warrior 3, I became completely addicted to the thing.

Now I have a DS and I'm currently playing the second Phoenix Wright game and The World Ends With You.

Asmodeous667
Title: Keeper of the briefcase
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 02:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I first got hooked with an Atari Lynx. I played the hell out of the system because of S.T.U.N. Runner and Klax. To this day, I still have sadly not beated S.T.U.N. runner. I can get inches from the finish line on the final run and I run out of time. It still drives me crazy!

Good....... Bad......... I'm the guy with the gun

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 08:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was given a Game Boy Color when I was leaving for school in Miami, as there were going to be many plane trips and airport waits to entertain myself during. I immediately picked up Pokemon yellow as well, and it was pretty awesome.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I used to have a bunch of the shitty Tiger and Konami LCD games. I also had the 1989 Nintendo Super Mario Bros. game watch. That thing was fucking impossible.

The first real handheld I owned was a metallic blue GBA SP, which I bought while in college so I could screw off during the boring core classes I had to take that had nothing to do with my major. Target was doing a promotion where it came with a free copy of Driver 2 Advance. D2A sucked major ass, and I played for about 3 minutes before going back to the store and getting Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World.

After that, I bought the limited edition Classic NES GBA SP, just because it was badass. Then in August of 2005, I got a metallic blue DS.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
ged1928
Title: A new hope
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I had a gameboy with Mario Land, Links Awakening, and I think it was Megaman 5. I definitely got the most absorbed into links awakening. I also remember a gameboy game that I must of put 100 plus hours into where a little boys sister was kidnapped by monsters, and you, as the little boy, got help from good monsters and taught you to breed stronger monsters to have them fight pokemon style. Anyone know the name of that one?

And I remember seeing one of those game watches in about 1992. My cousin had one and I was endlessly jealous.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Final Fantasy IV in 3D.

I never owned a portable system until one of my favorite games of all time was only released on one with updated graphics.

It was a good purchase because I also enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow on it.

Still both games easily could have been developed for a TV based console and I would have been happier that way.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

ged1928 wrote:
I also remember a gameboy game that I must of put 100 plus hours into where a little boys sister was kidnapped by monsters, and you, as the little boy, got help from good monsters and taught you to breed stronger monsters to have them fight pokemon style. Anyone know the name of that one?

My guess would be Dragon Warrior Monsters. Great game. I have the most recent one on the DS.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Asmodeous667 I am with you on the Lynx. Klax was the shit. I really got hooked though with the original Game Boy. Playing tetris, and Punisher The Ultimate Payback. Now I have an all black DS Lite. I always wanted both a turbo express portable because it played the Turbo Grafix 16 games, and I would love a nomad for some old Genesis on the go, though I do have a Game Gear my buddy got for my for next to nothing when Ames was closing.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I never enjoyed portable gaming. Sadly no

nowayguy
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 03:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LA DX with my Gameboy Color, got me into gaming in general.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think that the DS is great, it was just years of playing crappy tiger electronic handheld games in doctor's waiting rooms and never actually owning hand held until the GBA came out that turned me off on the whole concept. None of them had backlit screens so if you shifted the handheld even the slightest bit you couldn't see the screen. I always felt that video games should be played on a TV in the living room, and that at least one friend should be there on the couch to criticize your gaming prowess, it's just mkore fun to play together imo, yeah playing with yourself is fun, but it's not good if that's all you do.

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Sep 05 2008 08:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I started with the indigo GBA, moved up to a silver DS, imported a navy DS from Japan that broke, went back to a silver DS (my sister was nice enough to give me hers after she got a pink Lite), and grabbed a PSP over Christmas. I've been thinking of getting another Lite, but I don't really use my DS enough to justify the purchase of one.

Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Sep 06 2008 05:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Some no-name portable. I still have it:

It didn't play anything else but Tetris and the sound was horrible. After that I got a Game Boy for Christmas. Luckily my parents also bought me Super Mario Land or it would have been nothing but Tetris all over again. When I finally got Link's Awakening I was unapproachable for weeks. I haven't owned another portable since.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 06 2008 05:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i bought my first portable from some supervisor at my first job. it was a green GBC w/army men + tetris.

then i moved up to the GBA, the GBA SP twice, then the DS. and now i have nothing. but since i just got a job, i will soon buy myself a DS Lite. hope they have green by the time i have the money.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 02:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

A Green Game Boy Pocket with both Pokemon Red and Blue for Christmas.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 09:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Of course, for me what really got me hooked was Pokemon Red and Blue, but the first game I played for a while on GB was Tetris and Space Invaders. I bought a teal GBC back in 1999, and also got hooked into Mario Golf. Mario Golf for GBC is actually a really fun game.

Nowadays, I am a PSP guy.

Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 02:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My first portable was the original Game Boy and the first game I got with it was Mickey's Dangerous Chase. That game was awesome, but also very hard.

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Cleandregs Z
Title: BACK 2 BACK
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My first portable was the GBC with Pokemon Red. Great game(s).

My favorite portable would have to be the GBA SP. Awesome portable, and my overall second favorite system of all time. I still play it all the time, while my DS Lite gathers dust.

ReeperTheSeeker wrote:
Thorinair wrote:
I don't understand live-action shows on a channel called CARTOON Network.

That's because most American cartoonist are going to Japan to draw Hentai.

Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 06:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Bomberman wrote:
Game Gear with Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos bundle way back.

Oh yeah! That is one of my favorite handhelds and, until I got the Game Boy Advance SP, my most favorite handheld system. I got the Super Columns for my birthday and got Sonic 2 and Battletoads later that day. It has been my favorite handheld system for many years for various reasons:

1.) It's by SEGA. I've been a huge fan of SEGA for many years and I still love their retro stuff.
2.) It had a lighted screen. Until Nintendo released the Game Boy Advance SP, no Game Boy had a lighted screen, which really posed a problem during late night road trips. You had to get one of those lights that attach to the Game Boy whenever I wanted to play Kirby's Dreamland during some of them.

Mr. Bomberman wrote:
Then I got a Game Boy Color with Link's Awakening DX and Pokemon Blue.

I got a Game Boy Color with Pokemon Blue one Christmas. I then got Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Silver. I really got into Pokemon, but then one of my friends lost my copy of Pokemon Blue. I never got another Pokemon game after that happened until I got Pokemon Diamond for the DS this recent summer.

Mr. Bomberman wrote:
It's become now that the only current gen console I own is a DS.
Which DS is it: the bulky gray DS or one of those DS Lites?

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Lottel
Title: of the Eternal BWOG
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm throwing this out there.

I like the bulky DSes more than the Lites. They just seem to be more comfortable in my hands.
I get hand cramps if I use the Lite too much, and by too much, I mean more than a few minutes.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 09:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Portable games were a staple of my childhood. I got an original Gameboy back in the early 90's and spent most of my time on that because my older brothers had the SNES and Genesis and therefore they would hardly let me play them. Link's Awakening was a highlight of the time along with the Mega Man games and Pokemon blue to round out the GB's lifespan. I bought a GB color but nothing major ever really came out for it. I was anticipating the Resident Evil remake on it but unfortunately it was canceled and they released Gaiden instead.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Sep 07 2008 09:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer the bulky DS too. The DS Lite simply feels too thin and it feels like it might break in half if I use it too much.

Reply to topic

Jump to: