"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Vido Gams Are Fun: Diary of a game-obsessed first grader

Reply to topic
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jun 20 2006 09:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Will there be MK cake at the Press Start premiere?

Heh. That'd be awesome.

Actually, if you want to know how my personal circle of MK fandom became complete...

So, that party was at Aladdin's Castle, where I'd go to play... well, lots of games, but particularly MK games. The arcade was one of many stores in a fairly standard strip mall. Eventally it closed, and now it's a martial arts dojo -- where we just filmed this scene for Press Start.

That's not much of a coincidence on its own. BUT... right next door -- the adjacent space in the strip mall -- was a small multiplex theater. And in 1991, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze came out. I saw it there with an aunt, and before the show, there was a martial arts demonstration by two of the stunt actors from the movie! Now, I was too young to realize that this was one of the coolest theatrical experiences ever. And as it turned out, one of the martial artists was Ho Sung Pak, who would play Liu Kang just one year later, and from whom I got an autographed TMNT2 poster. But until recently, I had no idea who the other guy was.

It was Daniel Pesina.

So Press Start has been a bit of a coincidence-laced, bizarre nostalgia trip for stuff like that.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jun 20 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All that - better be on the DVD Cool

Too cool.

See, there is a God. An MK God.

EDIT: Grammar-wise, it should be "A MK God", however, saying this aloud would constitute the use of "an" because MK is pronounced Em-kay, with "E" being the starting letter and a vowel. That's your English lesson of the day, kids.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Mjcool
PostPosted: Jun 20 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wait, two of the stuntmen from TMNT II acted in the Mortal Kombat games?
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jun 20 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
See, there is a God. An MK God.

I always knew it! Cool

Mjcool wrote:
Wait, two of the stuntmen from TMNT II acted in the Mortal Kombat games?

Yep!
SamanthaMcPoopenstein
Title: Gadabout Ragamuffin
PostPosted: Jun 26 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

That form letter is classic. I don't think Nintendo of America puts that much effort into their responses anymore. It even looks like someone actually signed that paper instead of the printed out signatures that are the standard now.

As for the rest of the conversation... I think MK must skip generations or something. I really can't recall playing it more than once, and I never thought much of it. Then again, I was really young during that game's heyday. Pretty much every arcade that thrived on MK and the like was shutdown by the time I was old enough to appreciate them.

Oh yeah, adorable drawings, Syd!
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jun 26 2006 08:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man. I wish I still had my game from from my childhood. I had more video game ideas than I can remember including:

- A James and the Giant Peach RPG, for which I already had about 6-7 full laid out maps with all events, storylines, key items, and enemies.

- Countless other RPG's, including a battle system I based on dice and cards so I could just improvise an RPG for myself.

- A few maps of side-scrolling caves for something like Zelda II.

- A Mega Man game, complete with all 8 bosses, attacks, weaknesses, Rush power-ups, and a few stage maps done.

- Later on, another Mega Man with all 8 bosses and such layout for an RPG on RPG Maker.

- A bunch of other things done on RPG Maker, like Wheel of Fortune, an overhead shooter, a Harvest Moon type game.

These are all I can recall. I really wish I still had some of the materials from these ideas. Well, some of them I didn't write down... like some of the RPG Maker programs and the dice/card battle system.

RIP Hacker.

Reply to topic

Jump to: