SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Fuck Apple. Fuck them so hard.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
JRA
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 06:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:
its the trendy white headphones

Not me. I hated those from day one. They looked like they would fall out of your ears at any time. Especially if you like to go running like me.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

crookshow
Title: Donkey Kong Savage
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 07:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For the record, both of my old iPods are still in good working condition. I've only upgraded twice because I needed more space. The 5 and 20 gig models I had weren't nearly enough for me, but they were the biggest available at the time I made the purchases. I had no issues with the functionality, I simply got tired of having to delete shit to make room for new stuff. I'd hardly call that making a poor choice.
Richo Rosai
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 09:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

crookshow wrote:
For the record, both of my old iPods are still in good working condition. I've only upgraded twice because I needed more space. The 5 and 20 gig models I had weren't nearly enough for me, but they were the biggest available at the time I made the purchases. I had no issues with the functionality, I simply got tired of having to delete shit to make room for new stuff. I'd hardly call that making a poor choice.

I'd call it a poor choice, not knowing the details of your situation. Until from 2000 until 2007 I used a 512MB player. To overwrite albums from my collection on my PC's hard drive (while it was charging) took about 10 seconds. Let's assume it would have cost me 1000 dollars over the years keeping up with the latest and "best" shit that I don't need (I have no idea how much your iPods cost, but a quick search shows that the 5GB was $399 when it came out). Well, looking at my investment portfolio, those 1000 dollars which I didn't waste are now worth more like 2000, and when I'm 36 they'll probably be double that.

In my opinion, choosing to give up 4000 dollars in order to avoid pressing CTRL+C, ALT+TAB, then CTRL+V once a week is, in fact, a poor choice.

Of course I don't know the details of your situation; I'm just justifying my opinion in mine.
Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a Macbook, and besides the fact that I constantly pound the shit out of it, it was the best $1200 investment I have ever made in my entire life.

I do understand and agree with all of the hatin' on the rich pale white guy who wears the stupid Mac shirt at the apple store. I always get on them about it when I go in there.

Thats not to say I havent had a few problems with my computer, like having a fraying power cord, and my battery slowly dying (ive had this computer about 22 months now). Yeah, they are expensive, yes you have to deal with the dickass customer service people, but its still better than having to install 100439231 drivers just to put some photos from your digital camera onto your computer. I just really like the accessability of my Macbook the most, after getting sick of the BS from XP.

crookshow
Title: Donkey Kong Savage
PostPosted: Jun 30 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well Richo, you may not value the utility of a large capacity jukebox type player, but if you're collection is anywhere near the size of mine, 512MB is simply not feasible no matter how you try to spin it. Let's say I did spend $1,000 (and I'm well aware of the time value of money, I have a BS in Finance) on MP3 players over the last decade. To me, it was well worth it. I don't care to argue over this anymore so I'll leave it at that.
Richo Rosai
PostPosted: Jun 30 2008 01:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

crookshow wrote:
Well Richo, you may not value the utility of a large capacity jukebox type player, but if you're collection is anywhere near the size of mine, 512MB is simply not feasible no matter how you try to spin it. Let's say I did spend $1,000 (and I'm well aware of the time value of money, I have a BS in Finance) on MP3 players over the last decade. To me, it was well worth it. I don't care to argue over this anymore so I'll leave it at that.

I assume "jukebox" means you want to be able to play all your songs randomly. Can't argue with that. Although my collection is large, I never found myself needing more than about 4 albums at a time, because I only listen to albums, not songs.

But my disgust was with the idea of buying new stuff just because it's there (while half the world starves). At least you can name a reason why you upgraded. Oh, and I have a BS in Never Having Even Finished High School, which I'm pretty sure trumps yours.
homefry25
Title: Jumpin' Johnny
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 02:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I had an Imac once, and I know what you mean. The computer I had wasn't compatible with damn near anything and just made everything that should be simple a real pain.

WTF Haley Barbour??! Don't you know your state is a fucking 3rd world country?

Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 05:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a Macbook as well, and in the last 10 months I have been using it, it hasn't given me shit. Not even one time.

Until I tried to beat Battletoads while drunk. I kept dying and I may or may not threw it at a wall. It came back from the repair shop polished. How many of you PC users can say that about your service shops? "My Dell just came back from the repair shop and they even cleaned it up!"? I don't think so.

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

Richo Rosai
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 06:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru wrote:
I have a Macbook as well, and in the last 10 months I have been using it, it hasn't given me shit. Not even one time.

Until I tried to beat Battletoads while drunk. I kept dying and I may or may not threw it at a wall. It came back from the repair shop polished. How many of you PC users can say that about your service shops? "My Dell just came back from the repair shop and they even cleaned it up!"? I don't think so.

So much stupidity condensed into a single post...

For future reference, what is your native language?
Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 07:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Polish.

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

Avian
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

On the topic of Apple, why is it that so many people claim that Mac's are better than PC's?

I don't know how to use a Mac, and have no real desire to learn. My PC's have always worked (as well as you can expect a computer to work, anyway) so I see no real point in switching over.

The Mac commercials always make me feel so unhip and loser-ish for not having one. Is this feeling justified, or am I justified in referring to the "Mac guy' as a douchebag?

"Wolfman's got nards!"

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

drewbocop
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mac Guy is a douchebag

Rycona wrote:
Now that rainbows are confiscate of the Gay Empire Or Whatever©, they're suspect to foul play. People follow it expecting a pot of gold and a leprechaun, but all they find is a mannequin with a melted ass and a bloody rubber inside... and a leprechaun.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Avian wrote:
On the topic of Apple, why is it that so many people claim that Mac's are better than PC's?

Lets say that you know 200 people who own computers.

190 of them own Windows machines and 10 of them own Macs.

If 1/10 of the population has problems with their computers then an odd scenario occurs.

One mac user has a problem, but no one to commiserate with.

On the other hand, 19 PC users have problems and each other to bitch to.

So in reality there are 9 happy mac users and 171 happy PC users, but happy people don't talk about how happy they are.

Sad people bitch.

Avian wrote:
I don't know how to use a Mac, and have no real desire to learn. My PC's have always worked (as well as you can expect a computer to work, anyway) so I see no real point in switching over.

Computers are computers. If you know one, learning another won't be hard. It would take you two days to be 100% comfortable with a mac. Well... as comfortable as you are with a PC.[/quote]

Avian wrote:
The Mac commercials always make me feel so unhip and loser-ish for not having one. Is this feeling justified, or am I justified in referring to the "Mac guy' as a douchebag?
Think of it as entertaining or annoying advertising. It is just that. It isn't a news article.

Richo Rosai
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru wrote:
Polish.

Okay, that backfired, heh. Good English! (Or so I assume, not knowing the average of your culture).

Avian wrote:

Here's an interesting take on it:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/30/39-apple-products/

tl;dr: Snobby, trendy, pretentiousness. But don't let it fool you. You can accomplish any goal on a PC which you can on a Mac, while the converse isn't true: there are lots of things you can do on a PC that a Mac won't let you do. Also, PCs are less expensive, and when something goes wrong they are easier to fix (by yourself, or through searching for the readily-available info since PCs are so ubiquitous). So unless you enjoy being a pretentious, air-headed snob or there's some REALLY specific task you want to primarily use your machine for which a Mac can do more efficiently, don't let the commercials get to you.

Good points, GPFontaine, but I don't know about "two days". My Windows-specific shortcuts are so second-nature to me by now that I think it might take more like two years plus shock therapy for me to ever feel as comfortable with another shell. Confused
Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 04:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
So in reality there are 9 happy mac users and 171 happy PC users, but happy people don't talk about how happy they are.

Then you've never met a satisfied Mac user. All they talk about is how happy they are with their Macs.

But while I dislike Apple as a hardware company because of their ridiculous prices, I still somewhat admire them as a software company. They were the first to create a Unix-based operating system for the average user that achieved considerable market share. Something that NeXT tried for years, but failed until they were purchased by Apple.

Burt Reynolds
Title: Bentley Bear
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 05:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've worked with both. I'm a graphic designer, so I meet tons of mac fanboys. Honestly several years ago, it was the way to go. They had the processing power to work on high resolution graphics. Now, however they are on par with eachother, so there is no real advantage to either. I personally use a PC because I can piece it together for less than buying the whole mac package, and there is more variety of software available. Also, the bluescreen of death angle mac takes to attack pc is bullshit. While they don't have the bluescreen, I've lost a lot of precious work on a mac before. So while there is no bluescreen technically, it's definitely not rock-solid and indestructible.

Macs are pretty. Praise their visual designers. They are very desirable because of their appearance.

Dances with Wolves 2 is gonna ROCK!

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 09:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tyop wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

Then you've never met a satisfied Mac user. All they talk about is how happy they are with their Macs.

But while I dislike Apple as a hardware company because of their ridiculous prices, I still somewhat admire them as a software company. They were the first to create a Unix-based operating system for the average user that achieved considerable market share. Something that NeXT tried for years, but failed until they were purchased by Apple.

I rarely hear mac users talk about how happy they are with their Macs. Rather I hear them talk about how unhappy people with Windows machines are and how much better the Macs are.

The only point that they often do talk about is how nice the machines look. And to be fair, I do like Apple's design on many of their products.

Tsunami Red
Title: Maniacal Tactician
PostPosted: Jul 06 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I purchased the latest iMac a month ago....so far it's been smooth sailing.

But I ordered it a week just before the 'Buy a Mac with the student discount, get a free iPod' promo kicked in. I called Apple and they sent me an iPod along with my order, and assured me that I was still eligible for the promo (it's basically a rebate for the iPod).

I thought that was good CS by Apple.....at least, for now. Still awaiting for that cheque to come in the mail. To hear that you aren't able to exchange iPhones, Syd.....that really sucks. Bad CS.

"So I say live and let live. That's my motto. Live and let live. Anyone who can't go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It's a simple philosophy, but it's always worked in our family." - George Carlin

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: