SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Online Comics chat, my rant on El Goonish Shive

Reply to topic
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: May 24 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not familiar with online comics but recently I've been reading this one called El Goonish Shive. In fact i just got done reading the series up until the most recent. It starts out as your average nerd comic with campy humor but kind of explodes into this madness that makes you question the author and your own sanity.

First EGS comic
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020121.html

All i can really say is it's it has it own humor that is obviously based off Anime. I'm not sure this comic is for everyone but there might be some of you who will find it hilarious enough to get into.

I've pointed out this EGS comic because it is hosted at a site that has other comics, which i have yet to read:

http://www.keenspot.com/

Then there is this online comic site that was advertised at keenspot.

http://www.comicgenesis.com/

Now, and i am going to be very skeptical about my following statement but i am certain, almost guaranteeing that everyone here will find at least one comic that they will find interesting enough to read between these two sites. I have yet to do a search outside of EGS at keenspot or the other site because that database has a shit load of comics.

And now i end this with an obvious statement:

Doctor MacNinjia owns all!

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: May 25 2008 06:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I looked at the first couple of EGS strips, but any webcomic that starts with breaking the fourth wall has a hard time convincing me that it's worth reading. It just looks like the author was eager to start a comic, but because he had no idea what to tell, he just wrote about writing a webcomic.

As for other webcomics, I used to read a lot, but nowadays the only ones I regularly visit are Dinosaur Comics, Questionable Content and White Ninja Comics. I also read Dilbert but that's not really a webcomic. It's required reading for any computer science student though.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 26 2008 01:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Webcomics I follow regularly:

The Devil's Panties (another keenspot item)
Questionable Content
Commissioned
Shortpacked!
Dueling Analogs
F@nboy$
Sore Thumbs
Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki
Better Days and New Worlds (both by Jay Naylor)
Awkward Zombie
God Mode
Dungeons & Denizens
Two Lumps: The Adventures of Ebenezer and Snooch
Super Effective

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

erock
Title: likes to party
PostPosted: May 26 2008 01:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

i really enjoy the noob.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: May 26 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love QC and shortpacked, as well as doc mcninja. I absoloutely hate dinosaur comics.

I was actually REALLY into roomies/it's walky/joyce and walky until dave willis started that whole "you have to pay me to advance the story" shit. I also kinda got annoyed with shortpacked when he decided that it woudl be a good idea to leave us on the "ethan and amber had sex and now ethan is dying in the hospital" cliffhanger and go back to making one shot jokes about transformers and stuff.

EGS sounds a lot like another keenspot comic that I really dig, called college roomies from hell.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: May 28 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sore Thumbs I started reading in those eBook format on WOWIO. I stopped reading after about three issues. It went from pretty cool to pretty weak fast. That's true for so many webcomics. They start out strong and then go down hill.

I will say 8-Bit Theater did the same. Once Red Mage joined the group the series was in a shitty lull for about 50 strips before it go good again. Although I haven't read 8-Bit Theater in about three years so who knows where it is.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 29 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
Sore Thumbs I started reading in those eBook format on WOWIO. I stopped reading after about three issues. It went from pretty cool to pretty weak fast. That's true for so many webcomics. They start out strong and then go down hill.

I will say 8-Bit Theater did the same. Once Red Mage joined the group the series was in a shitty lull for about 50 strips before it go good again. Although I haven't read 8-Bit Theater in about three years so who knows where it is.

A quick check in on the strip (I dropped off following it and vgcats) has Red Mage debating with the Warmech.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Tebor
PostPosted: May 29 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
A quick check in on the strip (I dropped off following it and vgcats) has Red Mage debating with the Warmech.

Holy crap! How is that comic still going? I beat the remake in less time! Razz

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: May 29 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I read all of EGS within 2 days, and I must say that it's supremely fucked up, and yet awesome.

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: May 29 2008 02:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:
I read all of EGS within 2 days, and I must say that it's supremely fucked up, and yet awesome.

It took you 2 days to read all of EGS? It took me a week, although i am a dyslexic and some of the segments i had to go back and read because i kept asking "wait, what?"

I often wonder when reading comics what a character would sound like if it was an animated movie instead. I picture Tedd's dad with an inspector gadget-ish voice. Grace most definitely would have a hi-pitch, kind of preppy school girl voice.

As for the story, it does keep you interested, even though as you stated char, it's really fucked up. Any thoughts on the story's development?

I most defently think that Raven guy is a vampire or some kind of Dark wizard that needs the blood of the innocent to survive. And the blonde girl that looks like susan, she's obviously a result of susan's Father fucking the hot blonde. Nanase and Ellen are destine for sadness, it took the author long enough to get them together but I foresee something to break them apart soon.

Fucken hell, listen to me . . . i truly am a nerd . . . no, an uber-nerd

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

Tebor
PostPosted: May 29 2008 04:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ReeperTheSeeker wrote:
Fucken hell, listen to me . . . i truly am a nerd . . . no, an uber-nerd

Where do you think you are? Mr. Green

I know, I only speak for myself... -_-

Kojjiro!
PostPosted: May 29 2008 06:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i read penny arcade, marry me, no need for bushido, krazy kow, dominic deegan (fav) and like 2 others

Greg the White
PostPosted: Jun 11 2008 02:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Achewood is great. The guy can pack like twelve jokes into a single strip and have them all be really funny. The characters each have their own great personalities and style. Only downside is that you really have to read it from the start to get the right experience, and the catalogue is fargin huge.

Beyond that, I've gotten really stingy with webcomics. I really only read Questionable Content, Penny Arcade, Perry Bible Fellowship (now dead), Nothing Nice to Say, Gone With the Blastwave (updates only a few times a year), and a few others I can't really remember right now.

EDIT: I would recommend Shortpacked! in all its original funny glory, but the author is kinda pissing me off at the moment. He's one of these guys that thinks he can write drama, so he just tosses in an arbitrary storyline where one of the characters was abused, and another character once had sex with her. It was funny because it started out making funny of crappy "serious" webcomics, but now he's genuinely into it.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Tebor
PostPosted: Jun 12 2008 02:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm fine when web comics stay on the web or even if they get the money to publish a collection. But WOWIO carries ebooks of collections which give an illusion of an actual comic until you read it and realize it's a shitty web comic. Maybe the material isn't shitty, but the structure sucks. I can only stand that kind of four panel story telling when it's Liberty Meadows.

R.I.P. Frank Cho... maybe not dead, but the animal sanctuary is.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jun 15 2008 08:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I read the following:
questionable content
shortpacked
CAD
Penny Arcade
girls with slingshots
Nothing Better
Something Positive
Multiplex
Dueling Analogs
striptease
Punch N' Pie
Afterstrife
misfile
menage a 3
vg cats
cyanide and happiness
weregeek

I used to read mega tokyo before it became horrible

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Jun 17 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Penny Arcade
Order of the Stick
Girly
Dr. McNinja

Not a lot of webcomics.

Cleandregs Z
Title: BACK 2 BACK
PostPosted: Jul 03 2008 02:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No one has mentioned The Parking Lot is Full or Lego Robot? Sad

ReeperTheSeeker wrote:
Thorinair wrote:
I don't understand live-action shows on a channel called CARTOON Network.

That's because most American cartoonist are going to Japan to draw Hentai.

Reply to topic

Jump to: