"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Anyone know how to install MediaWiki?

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: May 10 2006 01:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm trying to get the thing going, but it won't "online install". I'm an idiot, so I have no idea how I'm supposed to do this. The directions read like stereo instructions.

Can I do it through FTP?

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 10 2006 05:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know about WikiMedia, but most premade web software (PHPBB, Wordpress, TikiWiki) requires you to FTP a bunch of files onto your server and then activate the installation by going to a certain URL. You usually also to have MySQL support to do it.

UPDATE: I just read the installation instructions. OK, here's what you have to do:

1. Unzip the package into a direction on your computer
2. Create a subfolder on your webserver (such as /wiki) and copy
3. Through your FTP program, change the permissions for the config subfolder to 777.
4. Create a MySQL database. You should be able to do this through your account on your account on your webhosting service's site. If you are using a free site such as .tk, Geocities, or Tripod, you do not have MySQL support and you can't install it. Be sure to password protect the database when you create it. Be sure you know the database name, username and password, you will need them for installation.
5. Install MediaWiki by visiting http://www.yourdomain.com/installdirectory if that doesn't work, visit http://www.yourdomain.com/installdirectory/config. This will install the software.
6. After installation, copy LocalSettings.php from the config directory into the main directory. Delete the config directory.

You're done.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: May 10 2006 08:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
3. Through your FTP program, change the permissions for the config subfolder to 777.
4. Create a MySQL database. You should be able to do this through your account on your account on your webhosting service's site. If you are using a free site such as .tk, Geocities, or Tripod, you do not have MySQL support and you can't install it. Be sure to password protect the database when you create it. Be sure you know the database name, username and password, you will need them for installation.
5. Install MediaWiki by visiting http://www.yourdomain.com/installdirectory if that doesn't work, visit http://www.yourdomain.com/installdirectory/config. This will install the software.
6. After installation, copy LocalSettings.php from the config directory into the main directory. Delete the config directory.

You're done.

Step 3 gets hung up because I keep getting "Error -142: remote chmod failed". I'm not techno-saavy enough to figure out what that means. So now permissions are stuck on 755.

I also have no idea what MySQL is or how to tell if my host has it (right now, I'm using Comcast pages). Nothing on their website describes what it uses.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 10 2006 03:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I assume that Comcast is your ISP and that they give you free space for personal pages. If so, then you probably don't have MySQL support.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: May 10 2006 07:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Technically I'm paying for it, but I'll look around at one of my alternate sites... or I might just finally buy the domain name I wanted for the year.

Tebor
PostPosted: May 11 2006 03:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I got it working offline, which was really what I wanted to do all along.

Turns out the Mac way is the way to go.

For anyone in the future who wants to do this, this page helped a lot:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Running_MediaWiki_on_Mac_OS_X

Reply to topic

Jump to: