SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Dark Shadows

Reply to topic
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Mar 16 2012 04:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Never watched the show, wasn't alive in the 60's and 70's. Movie looks as Burtonized as it gets, but it still could be kinda fun/funny. Will probably rent it in a few years.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Mar 16 2012 04:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just saw that not a minute or two at most before you put it up. I have no idea what to say at this point except it doesn't seem to be taking the subject matter as much more than a rough story guideline.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Mar 16 2012 04:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I saw this earlier today and was trying to remember if Barnabas was as ridiculous as this in the show.

Kinda tired of seeing Johnny Depp as the lead in Tim Burton movies. I am sure he will do a good job, though.

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Mar 16 2012 05:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
Kinda tired of seeing Johnny Depp as the lead in Tim Burton movies. I am sure he will do a good job, though.

This

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 16 2012 05:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
Yeah, I saw this earlier today and was trying to remember if Barnabas was as ridiculous as this in the show.

I've watched the entire original series, as well as the TV series remake, and based on watching the trailer again (twice), I'm kind of torn. If the whole film has that same kind of feel to it, I think that Burton missed the mark some; the show was campy and melodramatic, but the trailer makes it just seem goofy. Given the wonderful job I feel Burton did with films like Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood, I think he could've simply ratcheted things down to quirky, something in more of a Sleepy Hollow vein. Again, it's hard to really give an informed opinion based off of two and a half minutes worth of cherry-picked scenes, so I'm not just going to trash it or anything, but I'm definitely leery about the idea of dropping sixteen bucks to take the wife to see it at this point. Might follow Josh's suit and just rent it later on.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Mar 17 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
@om*d wrote:

Given the wonderful job I feel Burton did with films like Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood, I think he could've simply ratcheted things down to quirky, something in more of a Sleepy Hollow vein.

That's what i thougth seeing the trailer. It seems a little too centred on the comedic aspect wich doesn't really work for me. Again, it's only a trailer so maybe the movie has something to offer. We'll see.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Mar 17 2012 01:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So it's a Tim Burton movie with gothic overtones featuring Johnny Depp in an offbeat performance as a pail outsider.

I've never seen that before. How unique.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Mar 17 2012 02:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They wanna make the movie accessible to more than just the extremely small percentage of people who saw the show in it's original run, and the small niche of people that sought it out and watched it later on. If they made the movie for just those people, it wouldn't make any fucking money.

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 17 2012 06:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
They wanna make the movie accessible to more than just the extremely small percentage of people who saw the show in it's original run, and the small niche of people that sought it out and watched it later on. If they made the movie for just those people, it wouldn't make any fucking money.

I guess accessibility is one thing, but this seems a lot more like pandering to the lowest common denominator. Again, those could've just been the only really 'funny' parts in the film, I've seen plenty of movies where they've twisted things like that, but here's the thing: If you make a solid movie, regardless of genre, people will watch it. The Artist, I think, is the most recent example of that. And again, I'll go back and cite Sleepy Hollow as a Burton film that was genuinely creepy, pretty serious in terms of tone and still did pretty well in the box office without an overt layer of schmaltz. Like I said, I'm going to hold off final judgement until it's released, but I doubt I'll see it in theaters.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Mar 17 2012 09:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
If you make a solid movie, regardless of genre, people will watch it. The Artist, I think, is the most recent example of that.

The Artist has made just over $90 million worldwide (96% of that coming after getting an Oscar nomination) and it cost $16 million to make. The rule of thumb is a movie has to gross twice it's budget to start earning a profit. So it's likely profited about $60 million. Not bad at all.

This Burton film will easily make that, and likely far more, even if it sucks donkey cock. Studios are in business to make money.

Plenty of "solid" movies get made and nobody sees them. The Artist is a major exception and not the rule. Making films like Dark Shadows more accessible to everyone means the studio turns a big profit so they can then invest and gamble in smaller (and most likely better) films like The Artist.

This wasn't going to be made into a movie UNLESS it had a good budget and big name director behind it. I'd never even heard of this show until this thread.

The biggest point is nobody's even seen the movie yet. It looks stupid as fuck to me, but I'm not a big Burton fan anyway.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Mar 18 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

i never heard of the tv show myself, but the preview looks alright. at least this vampire doesnt sparkle.

but, i am a bit biased since i am a fan of both depp/burton.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Reply to topic

Jump to: