SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
I'm a sucker for top 100 lists...

Reply to topic
JRA
PostPosted: May 12 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

that being said, anyone know which video game console is up next for a top 100? And I read that the Game Boy one ended in failure too, so we're never gonna see that?

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: May 12 2008 01:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If I could get some help, I'd be more than willing to make a Commodore 64 list. But, I don't know how many people here played Commodores as kids.

I don't think there area many console systems left that you could do 100 lists for.

The three I can think of are: Genesis, Playstation, and Gameboy.

Anything else, it would be hard to come up with a top 50, let alone 100.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 12 2008 01:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

genesis list makes the most sense imo.

if the gameboy list died, then you could probably just make a handheld one. where you take all handheld games and compile a list of 100.

a PS2 list seems feasible.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Cattivo
PostPosted: May 12 2008 01:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

While I would love a Genesis list, a top 25 n64 one sounds pretty good.
Bluey
Title: 99 Beserkers
PostPosted: May 12 2008 02:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm fairly well-versed in the Commodore 64, Amiga, Genesis, and N64 if those ever come up in lists (and would love to see them made sometime).

Image - This is Bluey's health meter. When it runs out he has to quit the forum.
My Sydapedia page lists my game collection and friend codes, if you're interested.

JRA
PostPosted: May 12 2008 02:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:

I don't think there area many console systems left that you could do 100 lists for.

Anything else, it would be hard to come up with a top 50, let alone 100.

Well those were the three I was thinking of that could an 100, yes. But top 100, top 50, top 3, whatever, I'm all for it.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: May 12 2008 02:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:

A Genesis list would be cool, but I'd love to see a Game Boy list if it doesn't include GBC and GBA games. There were 9 years between the original Game Boy and the Game Boy Color, so comparing those two wouldn't be fair IMHO.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 12 2008 02:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A Game Boy list is still a possibility. Last time around, it came down to SNES, Genesis, and Game Boy. Game Boy seemed like too much work and Valdronius hasn't played a lot of Genesis games, so SNES made the most sense at the time. Genesis would probably make the most sense to do next, but I still would like to attempt a Game Boy list. The main point problem is deciding what constitutes a Gameboy game. That is, should Game Boy and Game Boy Color be considered the same system? My inclination is yes. Of course, my inclination is jaded by the fact that I didn't own a GB until the GBC days. But at the same time, a list of just original GB games would be hard to pull off. A lot of them were just redone versions of NES and SNES games, and aside from Tetris, and most of them were terrible. Also most GBC games will run on a regular GB which contributes to my theory that the two pieces of hardware are not distinct enough to be considered separate systems.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 12 2008 02:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Given that the majority of Tiger Handhend Electronic "Games" were beyond crappy and virtually unplayable it would be fun to read a list of those, but I doubt anyone wold have any laying around to review (or the will power to force themselves to sit and play one for more than 3 minutes). Everytime I see one it's in a doctors office, and it's usually broken.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 12 2008 03:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest problem with Tiger games is that, as far as I know, there's no emulation system that runs them. Ergo, there's no way to get decent looking screenshots of them.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: May 12 2008 03:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The only problem I see with a C64 list is that the library is SO extensive that it's hard to determine which games I have and have not played. I don't think I could recall 100 off the top of my head. That, and there might be 20 games that everyone has played and the rest that only the person voting for them played.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 12 2008 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Impossible Mission would be #1.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: May 12 2008 05:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maniac Mansion and Zac McCraken would be tied for first.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 12 2008 05:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Those games are great, but I have a hard time viewing them as anything other than PC ports. But Maniac Mansion made the NES list, so the SCUMM games would probably make the C64 list as well.
OctoMan
PostPosted: May 12 2008 05:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
The only problem I see with a C64 list is that the library is SO extensive that it's hard to determine which games I have and have not played. I don't think I could recall 100 off the top of my head. That, and there might be 20 games that everyone has played and the rest that only the person voting for them played.

Agree completely with this, Val. Still, as a former - well, still current, I guess! - hardcore C64 fan, I would love to see this list.
OctoMan
PostPosted: May 12 2008 05:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Impossible Mission would be #1.

Heh. I forgot that the downside of any 'top anything' list is the inevitable outrage on the part of those whose favorite things are slighted.

Which is to say: I loved Impossible Mission - I still remember thinking how cool it was that the 'pause' button was a picture of paws - but I wouldn't call it #1. In my opinion that belongs to Pool of Radiance, which makes my list of Top Ten Video Games of All Time. (I was a huge D&D g33k.)
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: May 12 2008 06:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Difference of opinions is what make the Top 100 lists so much fun to do. When Syd does them, it's not just Syd saying here's the list in the order I think it should be. He takes a couple of people and they all vote together on which game should be where on the list. So what may be #1, may not nessicarily be Syd's personal choice, but the choice of the majority who made the list.

Also, I still think the best AD&D gold box game was "Champions of Krynn".
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: May 12 2008 09:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

can we all really stand to sit through another hundred polls in the vidcon forum?

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: May 12 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You can all relax. I'm done with that now.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: May 14 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was way into Gameboy back in the day, especially since the Super Nintendo and the Genesis belonged to my older brothers (therefore I was not allowed to play them). I had a shit load of games for the GB, most of which I sold to the fuckers at EB when PS2 came out so I could raise enough store credit to get one. I regret doing that shit especially when I see how much they are worth now. Luckily there were about 15 I couldn't part with, 5 of which are Mega Man I-V. I say do the GB list. GB Color games should count too because some of the GBC games did work on the original. If it was a black cartridge, it was backwards compatable. If it was clear, it was only for color.
erock
Title: likes to party
PostPosted: May 14 2008 01:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

does gba count? i mean it says game boy in its name.

or why not make the list the best 100 games a gba can play. that would get everything without stretching anything with technicalities.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 14 2008 05:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Despite having the Game Boy name, GBA was an entirely new system. The "Advance" part of the system's name was akin to the "Super" in Super Nintendo.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 14 2008 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Despite having the Game Boy name, GBA was an entirely new system. The "Advance" part of the system's name was akin to the "Super" in Super Nintendo.

Wasn't the GBA a handheld super nintendo for all intents and purposes?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 14 2008 04:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty much. It ran at a lower resolution than the SNES, but it was mostly the same.
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: May 14 2008 04:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think the sound chip was as good, either.

Reply to topic

Jump to: