[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Save The Internet

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 25 2006 06:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.savetheinternet.com/

I don't know if this is real or not... I've seen so many hoaxes over the years, it's hard to say. I sure hope this isn't for real.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Apr 25 2006 06:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Man, fuck that. If this shit goes through I'm moving to Mexico. I'm sure I can get good internet there, as well as tacos.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Apr 25 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh, I wouldn't be surprised if the internet started being owned by major corperations. What isn't these days? Confused

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Sock
Title: Master Fornicator
PostPosted: Apr 25 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

If it's not fake America would regress into a state of anarchy if it were passed.
Chrisby
PostPosted: Apr 25 2006 02:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually inclined to believe this is true. I was skeptical at first, but it seems to be legit, especially now that I've seen it at at least one other site I go to.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

As awful as this is, I'm not sure there's any reason that it wouldn't pass. Someone will make the argument that "Well it's their bandwidth that people use, they have the right to let it work better for blah blah blah" It's not a valid argument since other utilities like water, electric, and cable TV don't care what I use their product for, but I'm sure it'll pull some weight.

"This just in, Comcast declares that MTV will now appear in hi-def on normal TV's while CNN will be interrupted with static ever 5 seconds because they think it's 'gay'"

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know this story is true for a couple of reasons: first off, my dad mentioned it last night. my dad doesn't use the internet, doesn't know anyone his age who does use the internet, and gets all of his news from the local stations and the Boston Herald. And he knew about this. Strike one.

The guy who is sponsoring the add-on for Net Neutrality is actually the congressman from my district, Ed Markey. I called his district office (I know one of his local aides from when I worked at the Statehouse) and she confirmed it. Strike two.

Actually, fuck strike three; I confirmed it with the guy's office. If that's not enough for you, you're a moron.

Save the internet!

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Telecommunications giants scored a victory over Net Neutrality advocates in the U.S. legislature yesterday as the proposed "Markey Amendment," a provision to prevent Internet providers from creating access chokepoints was voted down in the House of Representatives.

The amendment's defeat has caused a firestorm of accusations against the telecom industry and the legislators siding with them in the debate. A diverse and growing opposition believes that Congress members like Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) and Rep. Bobby Rush (D-ILL), who pushed for the amendment's defeat, are acting not in favor of their constituency but in favor of the big-money telecom industry.

Telecoms, like AT&T and Verizon, want to create a two-tiered Internet where customers and content providers can be charged for premium content delivery at higher speeds and quality than other content. The harshest critics believe that ability will give ISPs the ability to block, slow, or degrade content unfavorable to them, including access to websites and email.

The Markey Amendment, proposed for addition to the Communications Opportunity, Promotion and Enhancement Act (COPE), was created to protect what proponents call "Network Neutrality," a philosophy that the Internet should remain free and open to encourage innovation, startup business, and free speech. Called the "Internet's First Amendment," this concept is supported by Internet and technology giants like Google and Microsoft.

The amendment expressly warned the telecom industry " not to block, impair, degrade, discriminate against, or interfere with the ability of any person to use a broadband connection to access, use, send, receive, or offer lawful content, applications, or services over the Internet." It was voted down by a vote of 34-22 in the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

The COPE Act will now move to the full House for a vote, and then to the Senate if passed. The Senate Commerce Committee is expected to propose its own Net Neutrality legislation in the coming weeks.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

In order for the bill to pass, it must pass the House and the Senate in the same form. It may pass the House, I would like to think that the Senate will either shoot it down or modify it greatly and then send it back to the House.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I just heard last night that it passed the House.

Perhaps they should change the amendment's name to the "Fuck the Internet Amendment".
Reply to topic

Jump to: