[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Lego Nazis!?

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 13 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=519&d=70

In February, Lego is launching an Indiana Jones line. Seeing as two of the four movies feature Nazis, we very well may get some Lego Nazis. That is, unless Lego gets all queer and replaces the Nazis with generic bad guys... which they might.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Jan 13 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GAY BIKER!!!

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: Jan 13 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did they forget to mount a heavy machine gun on the rooftop of the Lego building? you know, for the soccer moms? =P

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 14 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

A Polish artist created a series of modules for a Todeslager (death camp) Lego series.

Only linked to in case some people might find the images disturbing (though I doubt it since they're just legos), but here ya go:
http://users.erols.com/kennrice/lego-kz.htm

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

erock
Title: likes to party
PostPosted: Jan 14 2008 01:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lego isn't stupid. Their primary target audience probably doesn't understand what Nazi's are. And probably hasn't seen any of the Indiana Jones movies anyway. No way they'll make Nazi Legos however cool it would be. I say bring back Wolfpac, the old school pirates , the aquanaughts, and the old ice station lego's.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 14 2008 06:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the thing though: if you're going to make Legos based off a series of movies, you ought to be as faithful to that series as you can. That's the whole fucking appeal of the Star Wars legos. Also, this series is a direct marketing tie-in to Indy 4, which will be either PG or PG-13 (much like the other Indy movies) and which will certainly revive interest in the older films. I was six when I first saw Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it was awesome. No six year old boy should ever be so sheltered as to not see Raiders, or so naive as to not know what Nazis are, so I DEMAND Lego Nazis.

Would people like the Batman legos if The Joker were replaced with Funny Klown Man™? No. No they wouldn't.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
erock
Title: likes to party
PostPosted: Jan 14 2008 08:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I agree but if they even put 1 toe over that line so many groups would boycot them theyd be pummeled into the next decade.
MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Jan 14 2008 08:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure someone posted pictures of those, but they were taken out of the kits and were set up.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Jan 14 2008 09:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I was six when I first saw Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it was awesome. No six year old boy should ever be so sheltered as to not see Raiders

Remember when melting nazis was considered pg material? Now your lucky to find anything that is 1/10000000 that cool in PG films today. This country has really gone puss. And those indy legos look awesome and would be even cooler with nazis legos but i'm not holding my breath.

It would be awesome if they made a Major Arnold Toht lego and reinact the scene about Wink

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jan 14 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair PG-13 didn't exist yet... it took Indy's Temple of Doomy Doom to bring that one coming.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jan 16 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
A Polish artist created a series of modules for a Todeslager (death camp) Lego series.

Only linked to in case some people might find the images disturbing (though I doubt it since they're just legos), but here ya go:
http://users.erols.com/kennrice/lego-kz.htm

wtf

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Jan 17 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that Lego had the Johnny Thunder line as an Indy-esque product, and now they have the actual license? They could just rehash some Johnny Thunder sets with new boxart and minifigures, and make a killing.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 17 2008 09:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
To be fair PG-13 didn't exist yet... it took Indy's Temple of Doomy Doom to bring that one coming.

Tsk tsk, Mr. Film Major.

The Flamingo Kid was the first film to receive a PG-13 rating.
Red Dawn was the first film to be released with the PG-13 rating.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jan 17 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, but he didn't say it was the first. He just said that it brought about the PG-13 rating.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,130492,00.html

Spielberg himself suggested the addition of a "PG-14" rating which ultimately became PG-13.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jan 17 2008 03:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thank ya kindly. Smile

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Feb 23 2008 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think if Lego mad some Lego Nazis, then people would make movies that feature Nazis ruling the world on YouTube.

Actually, I think people may have done that already, so never mind.

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Löba
Title: Who's scruffy looking?!
PostPosted: Mar 23 2008 05:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=519&d=70

In February, Lego is launching an Indiana Jones line. Seeing as two of the four movies feature Nazis, we very well may get some Lego Nazis. .

Whoa, I wanna get my hands on some of those! Smile Also, I hope they make some Communists too after the next Indy movie.

Bore thy enemy to death before he has a chance to see what hit him. Such is the art of war.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 31 2008 02:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I get the impression that the Swastika is actually what is being discussed.

Arnold Toht is a Nazi in Raiders of the Lost Ark but his character would just be a guy in a suit as a Lego.

Wouldn't he still be a Nazi Lego though?

I personally don't see a need to introduce symbols of hatred as Lego parts. If a kid can draw the conclusion that a person in the movie was a Nazi, then the Lego character of that person would be a Nazi Lego.

Please don't miss my point here. I am not trying to hide from history or deny a film its history. A Swastika is a symbol which stands for more than just what team someone was on in a movie. There is more depth here than just good guys vs bad guys. A six year old doesn't need to understand that in order to watch the film, but they sure as fucking hell should understand a symbol as powerful as a Swastika prior to playing with it. I can picture it now... all the Lego parts get dumped in a tub and the next thing we see is Pirates of the Caribbean with ships baring Swastika flags. yeah... I vote that is fucked up.

So to clarify:

Should the movie ok for young kids? Sure why not. It should NOT be edited though.

Should Lego make Nazi characters? Sure why not. They were in the movie.

Should Lego make Swastika parts? FUCK NO. We have enough issues to deal with as a society.

Blackout
PostPosted: Mar 31 2008 06:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The swastika was a symbol before the Nazi's claimed it.
I forget who's symbol it was but I think it was supposed to mean peace and balance or somthing like that, kind of like an all is well kind of statement. Confused

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Mar 31 2008 06:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hinduism
In Hinduism, the two symbols represent the two forms of the creator god Brahma: facing right it represents the evolution of the universe (Pravritti), facing left it represents the involution of the universe (Nivritti). It is also seen as pointing in all four directions (north, east, south and west) and thus signifies stability and groundedness. Its use as a sun symbol can first be seen in its representation of the god Surya. The swastika is considered extremely holy and auspicious by all Hindus, and is regularly used to decorate items related to Hindu culture. It is used in all Hindu yantras and religious designs. Throughout the subcontinent of India, it can be seen on the sides of temples, religious scriptures, gift items, and letterheads. The Hindu god Ganesh is often shown sitting on a lotus flower on a bed of swastikas.

The swastika is found all over Hindu temples, signs, altars, pictures and iconography where it is sacred. It is used in Hindu weddings, festivals, ceremonies, houses and doorways, clothing and jewelry, motor transport and even decorations on food items such as cakes and pastries. Among the Hindus of Bengal, it is common to see the name "swastika" (Bengali: স্বস্তিক sbastik) applied to a slightly different symbol, which has the same significance as the common swastika, and both symbols are used as auspicious signs. This symbol looks something like a stick figure of a human being.[17] "Swastika" (স্বস্তিক Sbastik) is a common given name amongst Bengalis[18] and a prominent literary magazine in Kolkata (Calcutta) is called the Swastika.

The Aum symbol is also sacred in Hinduism. While Aum is representative of a single primordial tone of creation, the Swastika is a pure geometrical mark and has no syllabic tone associated with it. The Swastika is one of the 108 symbols of Lord Vishnu and represents the sun's rays, without which there would be no life.

Buddhism
The symbol as it is used in Buddhist art and scripture is known in Japanese as a manji (literally, "the character for eternality" 萬字), and represents Dharma, universal harmony, and the balance of opposites. When facing left, it is the omote (front) manji, representing love and mercy. Facing right, it represents strength and intelligence, and is called the ura (rear) manji. Balanced manji are often found at the beginning and end of Buddhist scriptures (outside India).

Buddhism originated in the Indian subcontinent in the 5th century BC and inherited the manji. These two symbols are included, at least since the Liao Dynasty, as part of the Chinese language, the symbolic sign for the character 萬 or 万 (wàn in Chinese, man in Korean/Japanese, vạn in Vietnamese) meaning "all" or "eternality" (lit. myriad) and as 卐, which is seldom used. A manji marks the beginning of many Buddhist scriptures. The manji (in either orientation) appears on the chest of some statues of Gautama Buddha and is often incised on the soles of the feet of the Buddha in statuary. Because of the association of the right-facing swastika with Nazism, Buddhist manji (outside India only) after the mid-20th century are almost universally left-facing: 卍. This form of the manji is often found on Chinese food packaging to signify that the product is vegetarian and can be consumed by strict Buddhists. It is often sewn into the collars of Chinese children's clothing to protect them from evil spirits.

In 1922, the Chinese Syncretist movement Daoyuan founded the philanthropic association Red Swastika Society in imitation of the Red Cross. The association was very active in China during the 1920s and the 1930s.

Jainism
Jainism gives even more prominence to the swastika than does Hinduism. It is a symbol of the seventh Jina (Saint), the Tirthankara Suparsva. In the Svetambar Jain tradition, it is also one of the symbols of the ashta-mangalas. It is considered to be one of the 24 auspicious marks and the emblem of the seventh arhat of the present age. All Jain temples and holy books must contain the swastika and ceremonies typically begin and end with creating a swastika mark several times with rice around the altar.

Jains use rice to make a swastika (also known as "Sathiyo" in the state of Gujarat, India) in front of idols in a temple. Jains then put an offering on this swastika, usually a ripe or dried fruit, a sweet (mithai), or a coin or currency note. In 2001, India issued a 100-rupee coin to commemorate the 2600th anniversary of the birth of Mahavir, the 24th and last Jainist Tirthankara; the design includes a swastika.

Native American traditions
The swastika shape was used by some Native Americans. It has been found in excavations of Mississippian-era sites in the Ohio valley. It was widely used by many southwestern tribes, most notably the Navajo. Among various tribes, the swastika carried different meanings. To the Hopi it represented the wandering Hopi clan; to the Navajo it was one symbol for a whirling winds (tsil no'oli'), a sacred image representing a legend that was used in healing rituals (after learning of the Nazi mimic "whirling winds" the Navajo rejected the symbol).[23] A brightly colored First Nations saddle featuring swastika designs is on display at the Royal Saskatchewan Museum in Canada.[24]

A swastika shape is an ancient symbol in the culture of the Kuna people of Kuna Yala, Panama. In Kuna tradition, it symbolizes the octopus that created the world; its tentacles, pointing to the four cardinal points, gave rise to the rainbow, the sun, the moon and the stars.[25]

In February, 1925, the Kuna revolted against Panamanian suppression of their culture, and were granted autonomy in 1930; the flag they adopted at this time is based on the swastika shape, and remains the official flag of Kuna Yala. A number of variations on the flag have been used over the years: red top and bottom bands instead of orange were previously used, and in 1942 a ring (representing the traditional Kuna nose-ring) was added to the center of the flag to distance it from the symbol of the Nazi party.[
Blackout
PostPosted: Mar 31 2008 07:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So long story short the Nazi's took a cool symbol and ruined it forever by associating it with their more than a little bit frowned upon activites / beliefs. Neutral

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Apr 01 2008 02:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

The manji is also the design for Level 4 of The Legend of Zelda.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Apr 01 2008 05:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder if the head of F1 racing will be the first in line for the nazi Legos.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=6&id=3323737

Blackout
PostPosted: Apr 03 2008 03:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
The manji is also the design for Level 4 of The Legend of Zelda.

Yeah that freaked me out a bit when I was a kid. Laughing

Teralyx
Title: Master Exploder
PostPosted: Jun 04 2008 05:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout Boy wrote:
The swastika was a symbol before the Nazi's claimed it.
I forget who's symbol it was but I think it was supposed to mean peace and balance or somthing like that, kind of like an all is well kind of statement. Confused
It was from japan, it meant what you said, but the japanese swastika was backwards.

<TheFlamingSchnitzel> Didn't your mom teach you not to punch girls?
<FigNewton> I was too busy /punchin' her/

Reply to topic

Jump to: