"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Syd's new 100 Best SNES games post.

Reply to topic
ged1928
Title: A new hope
PostPosted: Aug 16 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

As far as the dreamcast go, I have always been a staunch pre-1997 gamer, but recently have been turned on to a lot of new resources when it comes to the Sega Saturn and the Sega Dreamcast. Everybody knows there are gems for the systems, but there is a lot that happened with those systems that would impress any game enthusiast. Anyone who hasn't come across it should check out the retro gaming site racketboy. It has sweet articles, but be forewarned that the forums are ridiculously juvenille for the most part. The community there is terrible compared to this one, and thats saying something (haw haw haw.) Seriously though, they are like the retarded uncle in relation to this site,. And I mean that will all due respect, Uncle Paul.
Greg the White
PostPosted: Aug 16 2008 03:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the Saturn and Dreamcast were pretty good systems. They had a cult following, then all of the revisionists shit on the consoles, now they're known as turds for some reason. Screw it, I'd rather play Mr. Bones and In the Hunt over any gritty dross released nowadays.

I'd love a Genesis list. Hell, I can probably name off about 100 good games for the system (I think about 85 of them are shooters) that I've actually PLAYED. Either that, or just make a top 100 list where all of the entries are for M.U.S.H.A.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Aug 16 2008 09:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

MUSHA fucking rules.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Aug 16 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:
MUSHA fucking rules.

Fuck yeah. That, Elemental Master, and Thunder Force 3 were well worth the carpal tunnel syndrome they caused.

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: Aug 17 2008 04:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
MUSHA fucking rules.

Fuck yeah. That, Elemental Master, and Thunder Force 3 were well worth the carpal tunnel syndrome they caused.

And Sagaia.

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

Greg the White
PostPosted: Aug 18 2008 08:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Bomberman wrote:
Greg the White wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
MUSHA fucking rules.

And Sagaia.

And Valis 3...
And Ranger X...
And Robocop vs Terminator...
And let's end this before the mods start breaking our fingers with doors.

MegaManPDA
PostPosted: Nov 26 2008 01:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
Thanks for posting that and great job! I was waiting for that right after I read its older brother the "100 greatest NES games."

Here are my thoughts.

-Fuck you I liked Super Mario All Stars. (though that might have to do with my NES breaking on me as a result of repeatedly leaving it on all night long and my parents never getting a replacement).

-Mega Man X2 is the best Mega Man game ever. It had a double blast super shot for christ sake! Speaking of Mega Man X, Zero doesn't give you his "Z-buster" in the first game, or at all for that matter, he gives you his sword (which was still awesome) he gives it to you in the 3rd game, if you kill Vile before you get to Doppler's fortress that is. But that's a different discussion.

-I liked the polygons in the original Star Fox. I loved the polygon bosses even more. That game was fucking impossible though, I never made it past the first "Great Commander" ship on the hard route.

- I agree Zelda III was the best SNES game, though Super Mario RPG was a close second. Although Zelda III had a slightly higher replay factor. Once I beat SMRPG, I didn't really wanna play it again for a while. Plus Zelda III had something SMRPG didn't...THE BOMBOS MEDALLION!

There never was a Zelda III!!! just an infintite number of prequels!!!
Space Fury
PostPosted: Nov 26 2008 08:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

MegaManPDA wrote:
JRA wrote:
Thanks for posting that and great job! I was waiting for that right after I read its older brother the "100 greatest NES games."

Here are my thoughts.

-Fuck you I liked Super Mario All Stars. (though that might have to do with my NES breaking on me as a result of repeatedly leaving it on all night long and my parents never getting a replacement).

-Mega Man X2 is the best Mega Man game ever. It had a double blast super shot for christ sake! Speaking of Mega Man X, Zero doesn't give you his "Z-buster" in the first game, or at all for that matter, he gives you his sword (which was still awesome) he gives it to you in the 3rd game, if you kill Vile before you get to Doppler's fortress that is. But that's a different discussion.

-I liked the polygons in the original Star Fox. I loved the polygon bosses even more. That game was fucking impossible though, I never made it past the first "Great Commander" ship on the hard route.

- I agree Zelda III was the best SNES game, though Super Mario RPG was a close second. Although Zelda III had a slightly higher replay factor. Once I beat SMRPG, I didn't really wanna play it again for a while. Plus Zelda III had something SMRPG didn't...THE BOMBOS MEDALLION!

There never was a Zelda III!!! just an infintite number of prequels!!!

While I ultimately plan to take over the earth, for now I am amused by this so called Syd Lexia and choose not to destroy him.

The humans who view this virtualized message posting site have limited toleration for the one named M3GA MAN. While this process is entertaining to me, I do not think a second MEGA person will create double the pleasure.

You do not amuse me yet. You shall obey or face your destruction.

Dance monkey.

YOU WERE AN EASY OPPONENT.

YOU WERE AN EASY OPPONENT.

Decoy
Title: !
PostPosted: Nov 26 2008 06:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm slightly disappointed that Terranigma is nowhere on that list, but I guess it makes sense since it was only released in Europe and Japan.

A shovel and a complete lack of ethics can get you anything.

TopShelf
Title: Not the Pantry
PostPosted: Jan 13 2009 03:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I recall a few times in the past I have come home from a night of drinking at the bar, and like a drunken dumbass I find myself on e-bay buying things that are totally unnecessary and 99% of the time I regret it the next day.

So a couple weeks ago, I'm at it again, spending quality time with Jacky Daniels(which isn't good for anyone except e-bay). I go home and run into Syd's 100 best snes list and after reading the inspirational article, the love for the snes is completely rejuvenated. A short time later i'm workin the e-bay for a few snes games that eventually turns into a 13 game buying spree. Going to bed, I was like "oh fuck, I did it again".

Two weeks later my games arrived and there was no regret to be seen on this purchase. Mind you it did cost me a little bit, but what is money when snes games are involved. Anyway, here's to you Syd and staff for helping me make an e-bay purchase I didn't regret.

Kids, don't drink and e-bay drive, it's not healthy.

"I'm the best actor/model and not the other way around! -Fabio

JRA
PostPosted: Jan 13 2009 05:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TopShelf wrote:
I recall a few times in the past I have come home from a night of drinking at the bar, and like a drunken dumbass I find myself on e-bay buying things that are totally unnecessary and 99% of the time I regret it the next day.

So a couple weeks ago, I'm at it again, spending quality time with Jacky Daniels(which isn't good for anyone except e-bay). I go home and run into Syd's 100 best snes list and after reading the inspirational article, the love for the snes is completely rejuvenated. A short time later i'm workin the e-bay for a few snes games that eventually turns into a 13 game buying spree. Going to bed, I was like "oh fuck, I did it again".

Two weeks later my games arrived and there was no regret to be seen on this purchase. Mind you it did cost me a little bit, but what is money when snes games are involved. Anyway, here's to you Syd and staff for helping me make an e-bay purchase I didn't regret.

haha. What games did you buy?

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 14 2009 01:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

TopShelf wrote:

im curious as to what games you bought as well.

i also have this problem, but mostly is at comic book shops, amazon.com, and/or best buy. lately, its just been on amazon.com

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

TopShelf
PostPosted: Jan 14 2009 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I tried to stick to the top 20 or so. Chrono trigger, ff2, super metroid, super street fighter 2 turbo, earthworm jim, actraiser( which is surprisingly fun), secret of mana, megaman x, castlevania ix, gradius and a few others.

oh, and I just received Super Punch-out yesterday which doesn't really get enough credit around here. I admit the characters are kinda lame, but the game play is stellar. I also really wanted to get earthbound, but I wasn't drunk enough to spend $100 on a snes game.(even though I was very close)

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jan 14 2009 06:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TopShelf wrote:
castlevania ix

The guy you bought that from must be an idiot because you can resell that for 1000's of $$$.

TopShelf
PostPosted: Jan 14 2009 08:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
TopShelf wrote:
castlevania ix

The guy you bought that from must be an idiot because you can resell that for 1000's of $$$.

What are you going on about McCallister?, 1000's of Rupees maybe. I got it for $8.99.
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jan 14 2009 08:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm assuming you must have got Castlevania IX with Super Castlevania IV guts then?

TopShelf
PostPosted: Jan 14 2009 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Toucher McCallister, you got me on the old type-o.

My apologies, I meant Super Castlsevania IV. I thought for sure you were fucking with me because there were several copies on ebay for a reasonable price.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jan 14 2009 08:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TopShelf wrote:
Toucher McCallister, you got me on the old type-o.

My apologies, I meant Super Castlsevania IV. I thought for sure you were fucking with me because there were several copies on ebay for a reasonable price.

No problem just busting balls. Laughing

JRA
PostPosted: Jan 27 2009 02:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:

I kind of understand that, but then you might as well put the Original Mega Man game at the spot where Mega Man III is on the the Nintendo list and put Super Mario Bros. where SMB III is. Just because the game was the first of the series doesn't make it the best.

I have never played any RPG's other than "Link To The Past" and SMRPG. I respect those types of games, but I can never find the time to sit down and play them.

It has been over a year since I started this triumphant thread, and that second paragraph can be utterly fucking disregarded, as since then I have played Final Fanatasy IV, VI, and Chrono Trigger twice.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Jan 27 2009 03:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

TopShelf wrote:

Everytime I read Syd's top NES games of all time I get like that, Syd is a master of putting you in a nostalgic mood. Everytime I read the following i want to buy SMB3

Quote:
Syd Lexia: I will never ever get tired of this game. Specifically, I will never ever get tired of World 5-3, because Kuribo's Shoe is the best power-up ever. In fact, Mario has never had better power-ups to play around with than he did in SMB3. The New Super Mario Brothers may have sold like gangbusters, but power-ups like the Mega Mushroom and Blue Shell from NSMB are complete shit when compared to the sheer awesomeness of the P-Wing, Frog Suit, Hammer Bros. Suit, and Tanooki Suit. In addition to that, the game added a whole bunch of new enemies, minigames, and eight wonderfully designed worlds to play through. My personal favorite was Giant Land.
Reply to topic

Jump to: