SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
This shit makes me really fucking happy.

Reply to topic
thenose_knows
PostPosted: Oct 13 2015 07:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not dead. I don't know if anyone even remembers me, but I signed up over the summer and did my best to stay active.

I got a job, which is nice because now I can foolishly spend my money instead of foolishly spending my parents' money like a little shit. Also, I got decent classes this semester. They're almost all history classes, which is great because I'm garbage at history and wanted to rectify that. I also joined an organization which teaches music to underserved youths, which kicks off in November. I'm excited about that. I also started working with a singer, although his tastes are about the most milquetoast generic rock bullshit I've ever heard in my life. I'd feel bad about saying that, but I spent a week learning every dog shit radio rock Foo Fighters, Sonic Youth, and Weezer song he threw my way. Then when I suggested some Judas Priest (Sad Wings of Destiny just so I didn't scare him with the brilliant brutality of Screaming/Defenders), he dismissed it as glam metal shit. So fuck that guy. We won't be working together, I decided yesterday. I'd rather jam along to the 4th W.A.S.P. album in my bedroom than be onstage playing The Greatest Shits of Alt Rock.

I didn't know where else to make light of the fact that I've not abandoned the forums. But yeah, I'm super busy these days. For anyone who thinks that the forums are dead, there are way deader forums out there, trust me. Keep your head high.
LeshLush
PostPosted: Oct 13 2015 08:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome back, thenose_knows! Glad you're enjoying school and found a job.

I'll do my best to ignore your jab at Sonic Youth.
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Oct 13 2015 08:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As a huge alternative/indie fan, I will disagree with Foo Fighters, Sonic Youth, and Weezer being shit radio rock. Anyways, Judas Priest is just as radio rock and mainstream as those bands you listed. Calling Judas Priest glam metal shit is pretty dumb though. Judas Priest are metal legends. That's like the kids in my school who loved shitty mallcore metal (I refuse to call it metalcore because that's a disservice to good metalcore bands like Earth Crisis and Shai Hulud) but dissed the likes of Motorhead and Iron Maiden.

Anyway, welcome back.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

thenose_knows
PostPosted: Oct 13 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the welcomes. To clarify, I do not think all Foo Fighters, Sonic Youth, and Weezer is radio rock horse shit. But he is pretty much scraping the top of the barrel with overplayed radio numbers like Everlong, Dirty Boots, and Say It Ain't So. That is where my frustration lies: someone who only knows what's played on the radio dismissing Judas Priest as "glam metal shit" and likening them to Def Leppard is like a toddler calling Paganini a hack. I don't even think he's into the bands. While I have no proof of this, I am sure that diving deeper into these bands' catalogs would yield positive results, just like you have to trudge through tired crap like "Living After Midnight", the weaker tracks of Defenders of the Faith, and pretty much all of Rocka Rolla to unearth the true gems of Priest's catalog. The same goes for AC/DC, Accept, Maiden, LOUDNESS, all down the line.... but especially AC/DC.

Since this is things that make us happy, I am happy that you two are strong enough in your musical convictions to defend the bands you like. Didn't mean to come off as dismissing these bands as "radio rock horse shit", I was more referring to the songs he chose themselves and how they reflect his taste. While I am not a fan of alt-rock, I would certainly not dismiss their whole libraries as "radio rock shit" on the basis of their popularity.

Edit: to further clarify, there is nothing wrong with just liking what's on the radio. But for someone of that ilk to then liken Judas Priest to bands like Poison, Faster Pussycat, Lixx Array, and Kix.... yeah. No remorse.
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Oct 14 2015 09:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, now that you explained in further detail, I apologize for the miscommunication. This dude sounds like a hypocritical tool.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Oct 19 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

As of today, I am no longer employed for my job at a military contractor. The short of it is that there was a regime change shortly before I posted my two weeks notice and they gave me more work but not more pay and my body cannot deal. I decided for my health that the drastically cut income would be worth getting out while I still could. As a result, I suddenly have a ton of free time and every weeknight free, which I haven't had since I entered college in 2009. Everything feels fresh to me and I can now realistically finish all those games I never had the time to invest in, as well as get started on game development myself.

Working two jobs for a year got me a ton of cash in savings, so now I actually have to start using it. First thing I did was pay what was left of my car loan, which leaves me with just over three months' worth of bills as emergency funds.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Oct 19 2015 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good job dude! I was silently following your decision making on Facebook. Glad to hear you're happy with paying off your car.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Nov 17 2015 03:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Nov 17 2015 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Etch wrote:

Where are you finding all these rare Saturn imports? They look like they cost an arm and a leg.

Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Nov 17 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Where are you finding all these rare Saturn imports? They look like they cost an arm and a leg.

From a few different Japanese stores on Amazon. The only one I remember off the top of my head is Dragon Heaven, which was the "worst" one. And by "worst" I mean: they arrived on the last day of the predicted delivery date and the cases were slightly scuffed instead of pristine... Razz (One of the other stores arrived several days early, completely spotless packaging and had an origami crane with a 'Thank You' note written on it. Laughing )

And these games aren't rare (that's why I got them first). The whole thing was under $100; the controller was the most expensive thing ordered.

Now, Sonic Council ($50+), Rabbit ($65+) Prikura Daisakusen ($95+) and the like are rare.

(Baroque is really cool, too. First-person dungeon crawler/roguelike with very creepy atmosphere)

It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison

Cameron
PostPosted: Nov 25 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I find a certain pleasure in going back to threads from 5+ years ago and voting in the polls.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Dec 12 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

All of my exams are turned in to administration. I have half-days all next week, and all I have to do is show up to administer exams. Then, two weeks off for Christmas. I knew these last few months of insanity have been worth it somehow.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Dec 13 2015 04:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Signed up to take flight lessons in the spring, going to try and get my pilots license in the next year. I am looking to get into small aircraft and helicopters. Mainly doing it so I can get over my anxiety of flying. I figured learning more about the operation of various aircraft would help calm me when I am a passenger, and I might be able to put the skills to good use helping others. Can't wait for spring!

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Dec 21 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As the year is coming to a close I reflect back and am happy with most of it. Good times with family and friends, interesting new beer and music, saved money, the gym is now a mandatory part of the routine, and so on. Work during the last few/next couple months has been/will be the toughest experience of my life thus far, but it's been sort of groovy in an exhausting way, and will be worth a post of its own down the line.

Hope you all are doing fine.

Also @om*d the flight lessons sound really interesting man. Be safe and have fun dude! Would love to see photos of whatever you're flying.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Dec 31 2015 07:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My last bowel movement of 2015 was rock solid. It's been a great year of fantastic bowel movements.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 12 2016 09:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
My last bowel movement of 2015 was rock solid. It's been a great year of fantastic bowel movements.

this post made me fucking happy

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Preng
PostPosted: Jan 30 2016 07:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't quite know where else to put this, and I'm not making a standalone thread on Internets for it, so this will have to do.
"I've seen everything."
Preng
PostPosted: Mar 04 2016 06:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
...Work during the last few/next couple months has been/will be the toughest experience of my life thus far, but it's been sort of groovy in an exhausting way, and will be worth a post of its own down the line.

Work's finally calmed down, and I've taken the next two weeks off to decompress. I will still be somewhat busy with other projects that've been pushed aside, but it will be nice to relax for a change.
Cameron
PostPosted: Mar 15 2016 02:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I voted for Bernie Sanders today, that made me pretty happy.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Mar 15 2016 02:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I voted for Kodos.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

@om*d
PostPosted: Mar 16 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'll have to wait until April 19 to vote in New York's primary. Should be interesting to see what changes between now and then.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Mar 19 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

SPRING BREAK!
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Mar 21 2016 06:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
SPRING !

I don't even care that I'm not on break. Spring is god tier weather.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

@om*d
PostPosted: Mar 22 2016 05:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DRUGS FOR ALLERGIES!

Cameron
PostPosted: Mar 23 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Spring is my absolute worst favorite season in terms of weather. I'm already starting to feel the searing burn of pollen in my eyes.

Reply to topic

Jump to: