[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Xenogears and Xenosaga

Reply to topic
Deezee
Title: Disregard me.
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 05:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody played either of these?

The internet likes to throw around terms like "Best Game Ever" a lot, and Xenogears is often a target of that. I disagree. It's a solid game, but the second disc is fucked. I mean, come on...you know you've got a rushjob when the characters are sitting on chairs telling you about the great adventures they had (the ones that you should have played through!).

Conversely, Xenosaga gets a lot of negative criticism and I don't understand why. (Xenosaga was made by the same people who brought you Baten Kaitos, by the way.) Yeah, it's a little heavy on the cutscenes, but certainly nowhere near as heavy as Metal Gear Solid is. (Metal Gear Solid is a 3 hour game with about 10 hours of cutscenes and codec transmissions, while Xenosaga is a 30 hour game with 8 hours of cutscenes.) Xenosaga is an RPG for crying out loud -- you'd expect it to focus on plot, whereas MGS is supposed to be an action game! (Not that I think MGS is bad, quite on the contrary. I just think the criticism that Xenosaga has "too much plot" is ridiculous.)

As far as gameplay goes, Xenosaga had a fairly interesting combat system thanks to Boosting. It was quite tactical, although towards the end game, if you customized your characters properly, you could roll over everything. Xenosaga 2 tried to fix this with the Break system, which I personally loved, but wasn't well receieved either. Most of the criticisms come from Xenogears fanboys who are pissed that Xenosaga isn't going to end up being a remake... -sigh-.

Anyway, thoughts?
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 06:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Saga games were the first two games I got when I bought my PS2 last year. I'm currently going through the Heaven's Garden area since I've already beaten Ep II. My biggest complaints with Ep II were the changes in character designs as well as voices for pretty much every character (Suddenly MOMO has a compound bow??!!) in the party and the changed fighting system (and, to a smaller degree, the depowerent of Erde Kaiser Fury; since most of the bosses you fight by the time you come across it have like 20k HP it seems less of a magic bullet usable against anyone but the game's final boss[the first game experience]). I'm waiting eagerly for the third and final Episode, even though most of the original staff is gone and they snagged Yuki Kajiura for the music.

Another note on the voice casting. I absolutely loved that they scored Crispin Freeman to do Nigredo/Albedo's voices.

Regarding the 2nd disc of Gears, I liked the change in pace.

From the Wikipedia entry:
"...the speculation that the production [Xenogears] was cut short for various reasons, such as lack of funds, inability to move deadlines, etc., has accrued considerable credence, despite the lack of a reliable source. The main cause of this speculation is Xenogears' second disc of play, on which the plot seems to degenerate into repeated instances in which a few major characters narrate the events of the story rather than fully experience them. This issue polarizes the Xenogears fanbase to this day; there are those who love the game but feel that the second disc depreciated the overall experience, whereas there are others who feel that, since the storyline was the most compelling aspect of Xenogears, the switch in narrative style was appreciated. Some people have speculated that Square began to lose interest and confidence in the profitability of Xenogears. These people cite the formation of Monolith Soft, a subdivision of Namco that was composed primarily of ex-Square employees who had worked on the Xenogears project, as evidence. Monolith Soft created the Xenosaga series under Takahashi's direction, although Square still owns the rights to Xenogears."

One last note: The DS is getting Episodes 1 and 2 in one game. The DS episode II will be using the fighting system from Ep 1 and take place from Shion's POV instead of Jr's.

If you ever wanna chat more in-depth about this, feel free to IM me on YIM with this name.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Deezee
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 09:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

It wasn't just that the narrative switched (I too feel as though Xenogears' plot was its strongest point) it's just that everything about the second disc felt rushed. The plot points weren't developed very well and a new monkey wrench of a twist is thrown into the works about every half hour, including some rather ridiculous crap like...

**SPOILERS**
Robots and Chu-Chu getting crucified? WTH is that, seriously.
**END SPOILERS**

About Xenosaga ep II: Yeah, I didn't like some of the voice changes. Pretty much all the female playable characters got shafted. On the other hand, I liked Chaos' new voice actor a lot better (seems to be a hit or miss issue - some love him, some hate him).
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 09:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's chaos. No capital C. But both of his voice actors are recognizable. You've got Grand Kai/Koenma for Episode 1, and Joshua Seth (known for his work as Tai on Digimon) for Episode 2.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Deezee
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 09:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
It's chaos. No capital C.

Yeah, forgot about that (been a while.) I always did think that was dumb though Wink.

Besides, we all know his REAL name after the end of XSE2.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah yeah, no need to tell anyone else about that though. I liked their take on names. For one, you have two characters with all caps in their name, another with all lower case, one who's an abbreviation, and another going by a humanization of a serial number. In short, the only playable characters with normal names are Shion, Jin, and once Also Sprach Zarathustra (aka Episode III) comes out, Allen Ridgely (he uses some kind of crossbow).

Btw, when I first read XSE II, my first thought was of Xavier's Security Enforcers from Marvel Comics heh.

Reply to topic

Jump to: