[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Final Destination 3

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 24 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I thought we already had a thread on this, but apparently not.

I finally saw this movie. It was pretty what I expected and I was entertained. Has anyone else seen this? I want to debate some aspects of the movie, but they involve spoilers.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Feb 25 2006 01:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I did post a thread on this already, but there were so many grammar errors I was embarassed by it. A rewrite of what I wrote can now be read at

I will discuss all the plotholes involving the mythology of "Final Destination" with you ad nauseam.

First, let's discuss whether or not Wendy was psychic. I say no and Alex is the only kid so far in the series who really was psychic and he's not really dead. Who dies by having a brick fall on their head? Really.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 25 2006 07:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've only seen bits and pieces of the first two, so I'm not 100% familiar with the mythology. But my questions would be this:

1. Was the trainwreck at the end related to the rollercoaster incident? If so, why would Death kill like 100 people just to get at Wendy, Kevin, and Julie?

2. Even if it WASN'T related, Wendy seemed to think it was. Once she realized Kevin and Julie were both on the train, she started freaking out. So if she thought Death was after them again, why would she try to stop it? If she was right, it would have meant that Death was still after them and there was absolutely no way for them to escape it.

3. All three survivors die off-camera. I know we already saw how they die in Wendy's premonition, but one of them could survived since we only saw what was supposed to happen and not what *did* happen. Especially Wendy. All she had to do was lie down flat like they do in action movies. I absolutely hate it when every dies in a horror movie. The "Ohmigawd, you thought it was over... but it wasn't!" ending is so annoying. At least one person needs to survive all the way through the movie, like in the Nightmare on Elm Street series. Maybe it's just me though. Maybe I liked Tru Calling a little too much.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 25 2006 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
I've only seen bits and pieces of the first two, so I'm not 100% familiar with the mythology. But my questions would be this:

1. Was the trainwreck at the end related to the rollercoaster incident? If so, why would Death kill like 100 people just to get at Wendy, Kevin, and Julie?

2. Even if it WASN'T related, Wendy seemed to think it was. Once she realized Kevin and Julie were both on the train, she started freaking out. So if she thought Death was after them again, why would she try to stop it? If she was right, it would have meant that Death was still after them and there was absolutely no way for them to escape it.

3. All three survivors die off-camera. I know we already saw how they die in Wendy's premonition, but one of them could survived since we only saw what was supposed to happen and not what *did* happen. Especially Wendy. All she had to do was lie down flat like they do in action movies. I absolutely hate it when every dies in a horror movie. The "Ohmigawd, you thought it was over... but it wasn't!" ending is so annoying. At least one person needs to survive all the way through the movie, like in the Nightmare on Elm Street series. Maybe it's just me though. Maybe I liked Tru Calling a little too much. I think they should have gone with the "False Alarm" ending where Wendy thinks something is going to happen and then nothing bad happens, she smiles and it fades to white.

1. Death is a bad mother fucker and would kill 100 people who didn't need to die to kill three that got away. Mostly though, Death is pretty psycho. In FD2, once the survivors never got on the freeway about 30 people died who shouldn't have. A kid would've died but didn't because someone who was supposed to die saved him, but death goes after the kid again... but the way the kid was supposed to die the first time wouldn't have happened had they not survived the freeway... OW! But the subway was Death killing more innocents than usual... unless it's like that episode of "Fact or Fiction" where two people supposed to be on Titanic ended up on the Hindenberg instead.

2+3. Wendy is stupid. Everyone I've talked to seems to agree with this. However, I have talked to a producer of the film that guarantees they all die at the end, and they cut out a scene which explains what happened to the characters who lived in FD2.

And Wendy is no Keanu Reeves. Not only did he survive a train crash, he dented a Hollywood tour van... didn't FD3 steal footage from that movie? I'm fairly sure it did.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 01:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd much rather be on the Hindenberg than the Titanic. I don't think anyone died on the Hindenberg, or maybe a very small handfull, but most people assume it was more of a disaster than it was because the only footage of it has the dude screaming "Oh the humanity!" whereas the reality of the situation was that everyone was pretty much unharmed.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 05:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Then I guess I don't really understand the point of FD movies. Nihilism bores me to no end, and that's what they seem to be pushing.

But I do enjoy the highly contrived death scenes immensely.

As far as I can tell, Final Destination is a slasher franchise without a slasher. Instead you have an intangible force with no discernable weakness. In a good slasher film, the slasher is almost unstoppable but not quite. Someone survives. In FD, death in unstoppable. So what's the point? What's the point of watching sequel after sequel when you know no one will survive? You can't root for death the way you can root for Freddy, Jason, Chucky, or any actual slasher because death is a vague disembodied evil. Rooting for death is like rooting for gravity; it's pointless.

The ingenious death scenes are fun to watch but the lack of any sort of real hope that a character might survive makes the overall movies less fun, because the only thing more fun than a cheesy death sequence is an equally ridiculous set of circumstances that allows a character to survive.
Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 06:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Then I guess I don't really understand the point of FD movies. Nihilism bores me to no end, and that's what they seem to be pushing.

But I do enjoy the highly contrived death scenes immensely.

As far as I can tell, Final Destination is a slasher franchise without a slasher. Instead you have an intangible force with no discernable weakness. In a good slasher film, the slasher is almost unstoppable but not quite. Someone survives. In FD, death in unstoppable. So what's the point? What's the point of watching sequel after sequel when you know no one will survive? You can't root for death the way you can root for Freddy, Jason, Chucky, or any actual slasher because death is a vague disembodied evil. Rooting for death is like rooting for gravity; it's pointless.

The ingenious death scenes are fun to watch but the lack of any sort of real hope that a character might survive makes the overall movies less fun, because the only thing more fun than a cheesy death sequence is an equally ridiculous set of circumstances that allows a character to survive.

Tony Todd IS death and that's who we FD fans attach ourselves to. Due to scheduling conflicts, Todd couldn't physically show up in the third film, but he still "appeared". His "character" (meaning Death) really seemed to be bored in this one. He knew the rollar coaster was going down and decided to have some fun with it. I think he got a kick out of it.

Todd was pissed off in one from his single scene ("That's one mack-daddy you don't want to fuck with!"). Then, in two, he seemed happy to see Clear, the survivor of the first one. In my opinion, he used the freeway pile up to get to Clear, cause she was untouchable. After accomplishing said goal, Death looked back on the mistakes that happened and said "That was fun! Let's do it again!" That's how three felt. Tony Todd got bored and decided to do it again. That's just fucked up.

Yes, I'm nerdy enough to find Death's motives in the FD films. Tony Todd deserves some credit. And he has been named by the producers to be Death personified, so it's no longer a rumor.

In other words, when you root for Death, you root for Tony fucking Todd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 07:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

But he's already Candyman! That's not fair!
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Feb 27 2006 02:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Nihilism bores me to no end, and that's what they seem to be pushing.

"They're Nihilists"
"Are they Nazis?"
"No Donnie, they're pussies. They don't believe in anything"

UsaSatsui wrote:

Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 27 2006 04:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
But he's already Candyman! That's not fair!

Look at Picard! And that Gandalf guy... and Christopher Lee... and Bryan Singer- waitaminute!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 27 2006 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think since they all learned valuable lessons, death should have let them off the hook. Julie learned not to be such an insolent little bitch, Kevin learned not to be a douche, and Wendy learned not to take pictures of people because that's how death decides how to kill people. Jigsaw would have let them live.

I just get really upset when the female lead dies in a horror movie. Especially if she didn't get naked, because that means she has class.
Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 27 2006 01:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I think since they all learned valuable lessons, death should have let them off the hook. Julie learned not to be such an insolent little bitch, Kevin learned not to be a douche, and Wendy learned not to take pictures of people because that's how death decides how to kill people. Jigsaw would have let them live.

I just get really upset when the female lead dies in a horror movie. Especially if she didn't get naked, because that means she has class.

What are you talking about? They didn't learn a damn thing. Not to mention they were all annoying as sin. Plus, who wants to see that evil chick from Sky High naked? Ew.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 27 2006 05:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
What are you talking about? They didn't learn a damn thing. Not to mention they were all annoying as sin. Plus, who wants to see that evil chick from Sky High naked? Ew.

I honestly didn't find them unlikable. I found the perv kid annoying and the football player annoying, but I liked everyone else. The Ashleys were supposed to be annoying, but I liked them too. I didn't feel bad for them when they died because they totally brought it upon themselves, but I still liked them as characters.
Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 27 2006 06:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Tebor wrote:

I honestly didn't find them unlikable. I found the perv kid annoying and the football player annoying, but I liked everyone else. The Ashleys were supposed to be annoying, but I liked them too. I didn't feel bad for them when they died because they totally brought it upon themselves, but I still liked them as characters.

I think we all know what I liked about the Ashleys.

I really hated that emo kid. He couldn't even attempt to kill Wendy right.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Feb 28 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

The emo kid was like any other emo kid, which is to say he was fucking retarded. The Ashleys were fantastic, and not cause they got naked, but because they're the only ones who did NOT need to die. Their entire death was their own doing. In fact, I'm not convinced death even hunted them down, he just knew they'd take care of things themselves.

Proof you ask? Well the reason they couldn't get out of the tanning beds is that the shelf broke and magically trapped them both in it. If either of them took a moment to think (and all it would take is a moment), they would've realized that since pushing up on the lid wasn't working, maybe the should SLIDE THE FUCKING PIECE OF WOOD THAT'S TRAPPING YOU INSIDE out of the bed first, THEN lift the lid. It's not like death is a 500 pound man who was sitting on that plank, making it impossible for them to move.

None of that is as stupid as Wendy though, who says to Ashley's voicemail "Sorry I was too late." Guess what bitch, she's never gonna hear that, nor is anyone else. Apologizing may make you feel less guilty, but none of that would've happened if you didn't insist on being a rebel loner and just hung out with the cool kids for once. Hell, maybe you even would've got laid!

[/psychopathic rant]

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 03 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Another thing that bugged me about Final Destination 3 is that when Ian is talking about life being unfair, he says that Charlie Manson lived to be 70. The way it is worded, it gives the viewer the impression that Manson is dead. Well he's not. Manson is currently 71 and still going strong. And by "going strong", I mean rotting in jail.
Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 03 2006 01:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Another thing that bugged me about Final Destination 3 is that when Ian is talking about life being unfair, he says that Charlie Manson lived to be 70. The way it is worded, it gives the viewer the impression that Manson is dead. Well he's not. Manson is currently 71 and still going strong. And by "going strong", I mean rotting in jail.

Maybe in the FD universe he's dead, the same as Jeffrey Dahmer is alive in the Demolition Man universe.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 03 2006 01:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
same as Jeffrey Dahmer is alive in the Demolition Man universe.

Unless it's the cable version of Demolition Man.
cybersst
Title: Let it
PostPosted: Mar 03 2006 05:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No "Spoiler" tag, huh?

ImageImage

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 04 2006 02:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

cybersst wrote:
No "Spoiler" tag, huh?

If you haven't seen "Demolition Man" yet, you might as well die now, because your life has been completely meaningless.

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Mar 04 2006 03:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
cybersst wrote:
No "Spoiler" tag, huh?

If you haven't seen "Demolition Man" yet, you might as well die now, because your life has been completely meaningless.

I'm pretty sure he meant it about FD3, not Demolition Man.

Tebor
PostPosted: Mar 04 2006 04:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

S. McCracken wrote:
Tebor wrote:
cybersst wrote:
No "Spoiler" tag, huh?

I'm pretty sure he meant it about FD3, not Demolition Man.

Good, good. Cause everyone can live a healthy life with only Simon Pheonix than whoever is the lovable character of FD3.

Two words: Teddy Bear.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Mar 06 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

The only Simon I care about is Belmont...and that annoying flashing lights game

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 06 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

What the hell, Jeebus? How can you not like pre-Blade Wesley Snipes?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 19 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
What are you talking about? They didn't learn a damn thing. Not to mention they were all annoying as sin.

Oh yeah? Well according to the television, I get to choose to who lives and who dies on the special edition DVD... and I say that Wendy and Julie get to live, dammit. And maybe Kevin too, if I'm feeling sporting. But he totally won't be invited to three-way.

In conclusion, I win. Take that, Tebor. Nyah nyah nyah! Razz
Reply to topic

Jump to: