[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Maniac Mansion article

Reply to topic
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Aug 09 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

I totally want to read it, but...

I've never played through Maniac Mansion before. Or should I say yet?
I'm going to download it and play it today. I'd play the NES one, but why when the controls would be much better with a MOUSE? Hahaha.

Anyway, everyone else can put their thoughts on the article here, and hopefully no one is creating the same thing at the same time. Sad

RIP Hacker.

greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Aug 09 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My love for "Maniac Mansion" is ridiculously strong, but damn. Good job, Valdronius. That kicked ass.
Necrotism
Title: Proud owner of pants
PostPosted: Aug 09 2007 02:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I nearly peed myself when I saw the box cover art from my favorite game of all time on here. (I mean my avatar is the purple tentacle for Christ's sake.) Kick ass article! If you haven't played this game DO SO! My only gripe is on the PC version you didn't get the "cd-player" with the characters cool theme songs which is included in the NES version.

BTW the sequel is fuckin brilliant as well!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 09 2007 03:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I definitely enjoyed the article, but unlike Val, I have some love for the NES version as well as the PC version. For some reason, I like the Edisons better with blue skin. Also, "DON'T BE A TUNA HEAD" remains one of my favorite video game lines of all-time.

The VGA version of the game I had (which wasn't the enhanced version) had the "tuna head" line as well, if I recall correctly. It was part of LucasArts Classics pack that included Loom, Zak McKraken, Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade, The Secret Of Monkey Island, and Maniac Mansion. All five games are pretty awesome. Loom is a true forgotten classic, and I really need to review it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Necrotism
Title: Proud owner of pants
PostPosted: Aug 09 2007 03:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

The VGA version of the game I had (which wasn't the enhanced version) had the "tuna head" line as well, if I recall correctly. It was part of LucasArts Classics pack that included Loom, Zak McKraken, Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade, The Secret Of Monkey Island, and Maniac Mansion. All five games are pretty awesome. Loom is a true forgotten classic, and I really need to review it.

You're correct. That version of Maniac Mansion was "edited" with the tuna-head line. I still have the 3.5" disks from that set, in fact I have almost every lucasarts adventure game in 3.5 format, at least what was released in 3.5". I'm not sure if Full Throttle or The Dig ever release in 3.5".

EDIT: Full Throttle and The Dig were released on CD-ROM only.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Aug 11 2007 05:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mucho gracias amigos.

It may surprise you to know that I had virtually that entire article mapped out within hours of the first time I ever read Syd's work. I was inspired.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 11 2007 06:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a full working copy of Full Throttle on my GP2X. (I also still have the original CD)

Still my all time favorite SCUMM game.

Great article!

If anyone wants to read about the battle of porting it to the NES thanks to NoA silly policies can read the article here: http://www.crockford.com/wrrrld/maniac.html

Also, if you haven't play Maniac Mansion yet, here's a link to the totally free "Maniac Mansion Deluxe" which works under Windows*:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_6367.shtml

*You might want to add that to the end of the article.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 11 2007 07:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
If anyone wants to read about the battle of porting it to the NES thanks to NoA silly policies can read the article here: http://www.crockford.com/wrrrld/maniac.html

That's linked to if you click on the "bastardized" link.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Aug 11 2007 07:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Knyte wrote:

That's linked to if you click on the "bastardized" link.

Didn't notice that. Embarrassed

That's what I get for reading articles at 4 in the morning.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Aug 13 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
Mucho gracias amigos.

It may surprise you to know that I had virtually that entire article mapped out within hours of the first time I ever read Syd's work. I was inspired.

So what you're saying is that you make Jeebus look like a speedy writer? Bell

Seriously, though, I really did enjoy the article. Very Happy
Cattivo
PostPosted: Aug 13 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I remember this article from his old site that Syd mirrored. Still a good read 9 months or so after I read it the first time.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Sep 01 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The second one was one of my all time favorite computer games, I miss the golden days of point and click adventure games.

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Sep 02 2007 04:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have the first Myst game, sadly my computer is too new to run it. And my old computer only had 1 GB (yes, one) so it ran all shitty.

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Reply to topic

Jump to: