[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Iran hostage situation

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 30 2007 09:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone want to discuss it? I feel like we should talk about current events.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Mar 30 2007 01:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like the stand that Britain is taking. From what I've seen, it shows that Blair and his government have balls... balls that are well justified. Now, I have no clue in which waters the sailors were actually in, but at least Britain had evidence to prove that they were in Iraqi territorial waters and, as far as I know, Iran just claims that they were in their territory.

Britain did go to the UN upon which Iran disdained and then refused to let the only female sailor go. Also, Britain stated it wasn't enough and demanded that all of them be released (balls).

Iran seems to have an affinity for taking military hostages for what I see as being poor political reasons. They don't seem to have any decent argument nor any evidence. If they don't let them go, I hope Britain kicks them in the ass. Watching Tony Blair this last week or two makes me yearn for the time when we have a strong president, somebody like Teddy Roosevelt or Harry S. Truman (my favorite).

Speaking of Truman, we should have just big-bombed our enemies like we did Japan. I know it sounds rough, but we have more efficient bombs now so there would be no radiation or even much for property damage (Cobalt Bombs). I mean, we bombed Japan and look at them now! They rock! The Middle East just needs a good spanking. We could probably use a timeout as well.

RIP Hacker.

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Mar 30 2007 02:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hate that Iran is making the soldiers "apologize" and "take responsibility" on tape for the supposed encroachment into Irani waters. Do they really need reassurance that badly, and do they think anyone is buying that the soldiers are actually sorry for something they KNOW isn't true? They're only going through with it because of their fear, as well as the very likely scenario that the Iranians have threatened torture and death to those soldiers who won't comply.

Not a very smart move on the part of the Iranians, given that the British have decided to start pulling troops out of the Middle East. Stunts like this will only dissuade Blair and the British government from continuing the pullout. Way to go, Iran.

I agree that we should've just bombed the shit out of Iran and Iraq near the beginning of the war. No insurgents, no problem.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Mar 30 2007 05:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Iran saw weakness, so they pounced. It was foolish of them to doubt the resolve of the British, however. Considering that they were willing to go to war with Argentina over something as insignificant as the Faulkland Islands, the Iranians shold have known how they would react. The West may sound weak with all of our diplomatic talk, but when it comes down to it, we're willing to kick ass if necessary.
Rycona
PostPosted: Mar 30 2007 07:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If British does decides to extend their size 16, I'm sure (and hope) they'll have a way of removing said shoe. I want to laugh at the joke, but it's ridiculously bad that we had no exit strategy. I mean, Christ.

No exit strategy = bad strategy

RIP Hacker.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Mar 30 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, to be fair, our exit strategy was: Iraq becomes a placid democracy, we reduce military presence to Rammstein levels.

We just didn't anticipate the republican guard and the fedayeen withdrawing early, into the shadows, and then instigating a guerrilla war. Combined with Rumsfeld foolishly not moving enough troops into the country at the beginning of the occupation so that the resistance could be stamped out, we ended up with this four year mess that should have been resolved in less than a year. I mean, even the average Civ3 player knows you have to flood an occupied city with many units to defeat the rebels. Confused
Rycona
PostPosted: Mar 30 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
I mean, even the average Civ3 player knows you have to flood an occupied city with many units to defeat the rebels. Confused

HAHAHAHAHA!! Razz

Seems we need to send Bush and his lackeys a copy of Civ4. It would be one of the government's wiser investments.

RIP Hacker.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Mar 30 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You got problems with Iran? Need someone to negotiate the release of hostages? Someone willing to take charge, and bend the rules if need be! Someone, who stands up for what he believes is right!

This looks like a job for:
Ollie!!!!
ChildrenofSlayer
PostPosted: Mar 31 2007 08:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's important to distinguish between the government of Iran and terrorist cells within that country. It was the latter that kidnapped the troops, not the former.

That being said, Iran is a really tough case now. They're developing (or have already developed) both nuclear weapons as well as an exceptional number of brilliant scientists and engineers to rival any country in the world.

Under a government that doesn't subscribe to the radical elements of Islam, that's not a major catastrophe. Under the leadership of religious zealots, it's fucking scary and potentially cataclysmic.
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Mar 31 2007 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The what with the where who? Damn, I really gotta watch the news.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 01 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I know who could put a stop to this.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Apr 01 2007 05:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:
The what with the where who? Damn, I really gotta watch the news.

I'm with you.

I thought this was about the hostage situation during Carter's term. Shocked

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Reply to topic

Jump to: