Now that I have Metroid: Samus Returns under my belt, I feel I can bring this up: Somewhere down the line, Super Metroid is going to be remade. Let's be honest, beloved classic though it may be, it's only really super in comparison to its prequels. Next to Zero Mission and AM2R/Samus Returns (note how I didn't specify whether it'd be fanmade or official), it seems like a lateral move and a huge step back, respectively. If the fans and/or Nintendo are going to continue this "new" continuity, some changes will have to be made. Here are just a few off the top of my head:
- Samus needs to still be able to grip ledges.
- Zero Mission axed the fake Kraid, so this remake needs to do the same.
- Kraid in Zero Mission was only a bit shorter, but significantly heftier, than his Super Metroid incarnation, so the Kraid of this remake needs to be even bigger than that.
- In Metroid Fusion, Samus explicitly states that the Dachora and Etecoons "helped [her] unlock abilities [she] never knew [she] had." Since she knows how to do both those things in Zero Mission, they either need to be axed or teach her something new entirely.
- Mother Brain needs to not be the final boss; it wouldn't be the first time.