"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
the Next Silent Hill

Reply to topic
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Aug 12 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The next Silent Hill game is going to be made by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro, and is going to star Norman Reedus.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Aug 13 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

I stopped caring about the post-4: The Room portion of the franchise after 0rigins disappointed me, except for that one time I went through Shattered Memories.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 13 2014 07:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

If anyone can revive creepy, it's the guy behind Pan's Labyrinth. Involving Norman Reedus is just a nice bonus.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Cameron
PostPosted: Aug 13 2014 09:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
If anyone can revive creepy, it's the guy behind Pan's Labyrinth.

This was my line of thinking as well. The first demo definitely has my hopes up.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Aug 14 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's rad that Guillermo's working on it. The dude knows how to convey things without saying it, letting what you see speak for itself. He is, also, from a completely different medium, which can be good or bad depending on how you view it (like whether you remember Spielberg's game involvements more for Boom Blox/The Dig or for Trespasser).

I'm worried about Hideo. While he can come up with really neat gameplay premises and memorable characters, I do not look forward to him going MGS4 and just jamming retcons, lame twists, and plot spackle all over the place just because he needs to say everything that comes through his mind during a script process. My guess is that with Del Toro present, he's going to run into editors for the first time in years, which may or may not be a good thing.

If anything, it'll definitely be pretty cool, as I felt that SH4-and-later games were made by crews who were really under someone's thumb, pressured into making cash-in sequels or re-imaginings (my heart's warmed to Shattered Memories and Downpour, but neither still do anything for me). In this case, there will most likely be some directorial control, which will at least produce something different.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Aug 15 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
I'm worried about Hideo. While he can come up with really neat gameplay premises and memorable characters, I do not look forward to him going MGS4 and just jamming retcons, lame twists, and plot spackle all over the place just because he needs to say everything that comes through his mind during a script process. My guess is that with Del Toro present, he's going to run into editors for the first time in years, which may or may not be a good thing.

I expect him to go MGS1 on it instead and let out all the backup from not being able to do Psycho Mantis-style gimmicks all over the place since memory cards stopped being a thing. Could be cool if kept under control.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

dddddddd
PostPosted: Aug 15 2014 07:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eh i never really cared for those two guys but i will probable give it a rental when it comes out
Greg the White
PostPosted: Aug 17 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
Greg the White wrote:

I expect him to go MGS1 on it instead and let out all the backup from not being able to do Psycho Mantis-style gimmicks all over the place since memory cards stopped being a thing. Could be cool if kept under control.

Regardless of my issues with the MGS games, they typically play very well, with a mixture of fun core mechanics and cool extra touches. MGS3 in its entirety and MGS4's first two chapters in particular are goddamned fantastic to play.

The Playable Teaser is interesting. It's got the trope of "walk through repeating scenery, except it's different/more scary each time," that games like to do, but there are glints of what made the Silent Hill games great, as well as some Kojima-like mindfucks. It's promising.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Leatherface
PostPosted: Sep 10 2014 04:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Next Silent Hill will be a piece of shit. Anytime you hear the name: 'Hideo Kojima' you know the game is going to be a faux-cinema experience since all wants to be is a film maker....Take for example MGS, where every character has a fucking introduction of who they are and who their voice actor is when they first appear. Now where is that common?....OH A FILM. Then you get to the fact that his plots are too fucking retarded to actually be made into films so he has to resort to making his shitty stories in a video game format. Kojima stories include such classic characters as a guy who shoots bees which aren't actually fucking bees, people pissing/shitting themselves and a game where the main fucking character Solid fucking Snake doesn't recognize the President of his own fucking country is a fucking clone of him.

Fucker should be making a game about me.
The Opponent
PostPosted: Sep 10 2014 04:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

From now on, I'm going to call this game Silent Hillses.

Cameron
PostPosted: Sep 10 2014 05:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Leatherface wrote:
Anytime you hear the name: 'Hideo Kojima' you know the game is going to be a faux-cinema experience

That's pretty much all that I want.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 11 2014 01:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Leatherface wrote:
Next Silent Hill will be a piece of shit. Anytime you hear the name: 'Hideo Kojima' you know the game is going to be a faux-cinema experience since all wants to be is a film maker....Take for example MGS, where every character has a fucking introduction of who they are and who their voice actor is when they first appear. Now where is that common?....OH A FILM. Then you get to the fact that his plots are too fucking retarded to actually be made into films so he has to resort to making his shitty stories in a video game format. Kojima stories include such classic characters as a guy who shoots bees which aren't actually fucking bees, people pissing/shitting themselves and a game where the main fucking character Solid fucking Snake doesn't recognize the President of his own fucking country is a fucking clone of him.

Fucker should be making a game about me.

hah i like this rant

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

The Opponent
PostPosted: Sep 11 2014 05:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Leatherface wrote:
Anytime you hear the name: 'Hideo Kojima' you know the game is going to be a faux-cinema experience

That's pretty much all that I want.

Same. Anyone expecting anything more is setting themselves up to hate it.

The Opponent
PostPosted: Nov 01 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

So I got the idea to play it for the first time on Halloween night. Oops.

Reply to topic

Jump to: