"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Bravely Default

Reply to topic
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: May 19 2014 05:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My girlfriend keeps trying to pressure me into buying this game, but all the reviews I've read make me less and less interested in playing it, despite the fact that they're all extremely positive. Can someone who has or has played this game explain to me the appeal?

Reasons why I haven't been interested:
1. The art style - it looks exactly like the art style of Final Fantasy III (which is by far my least favorite Final Fantasy). Granted, this in and of itself is an entirely stupid reason not to play a game, which leads me to:
2. Lack of innovation. It looks like a mishmash/copy of games I've previously played, namely the Brave/Default system (which looks almost exactly like Xenogears' battle system) and the job system (which I'm failing to differentiate between the job systems of Final Fantasy III, VI, X-2, and Tactics Advance). Which, I guess there's nothing wrong with doing things over and over again if they're done well, but these elements alone aren't really compelling me to play this game.

I guess I'd have to play the game to understand, because every review I've read/seen seems like people are getting really excited over a bunch of stuff that's already been done before.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: May 19 2014 07:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have not played Bravely Default myself. Though from what I've picked up, people enjoy it for its callback to the older Final Fantasy games. You know, in contrast to the XIII trilogy which has been its own style.

Also, I have heard the music is excellent. Haven't verified this for myself, but I am speaking to Cameron and so this may be a critical factor to consider.

Also also, I am not sure how I feel about the mouthpose comeback!
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: May 20 2014 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not very far into the game, but up to now I like it. The music is really good, the story seems nice enough, the voice acting is fine...
It's not very innovative, but it's well done.

I'm playing on Hard personally (because I'm weird), and I got close to losing, what, half the boss fights up to now? Maybe that's just me sucking, but I like the challenge.
LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: May 22 2014 06:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

This game is a strong contender for best original title on the 3DS.

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 22 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

If the old school grind of NES RPGs appeals to you, then Bravely Default is for you. It's basically a cross between FF1 and FF5. It has a job system where you unlock more jobs as you progress, and you have to grind levels and job points to optimize your guys. Job Level is actually a lot more important than XP Level. A Level 90 guy in a Level 1 job is going to be borderline useless against the caliber enemies a Level 90 guy should be facing.

This game is not for everyone though. Remember the Time Loop plot in FF1? This game has a Time Loop too. But instead of it just being a plot point revealed right before the final dungeon, it is an actual time loop. You actually have to replay sections of the game multiple times, only harder each time.

I'm not a huge fan of the 3D character models, especially for the four main characters. Most of the enemies look fine. The water color backgrounds used in towns are gorgeous though. I wish they had done the whole game in that style.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: May 23 2014 05:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
You actually have to replay sections of the game multiple times, only harder each time.

I haven't seen any reviews mentioning this in a negative way, so I'm assuming it's a lot more fun than it sounds?

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: May 24 2014 02:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
You actually have to replay sections of the game multiple times, only harder each time.

I haven't seen any reviews mentioning this in a negative way, so I'm assuming it's a lot more fun than it sounds?

Katie Tiedrich/Awkward Zombie has recently been playing the game and she's discussed it in a negative way:
Quote:
"Okay I was super into Bravely D, up to the point where they literally make you replay the game. Multiple times. To the game's credit, I really sympathized with the characters' despair every time I'd open the world map and all those goddamn exclamation points popped up in the same places, but I feel like the emotion was not worth the hours spent retreading the same ground.

This game has PROBABLY the laziest artificial extenders I've ever seen, and you really notice it when they even reuse the same dialog -- especially the stuff being said by the characters that have experienced this scenario three times now, as if they have no idea what's happening. In a lot of cases it's a literal copy-and-paste, and that can really suck the gravity out of it!

I do still really like the game, but it's hard to open the 3DS again when you know exactly what the next two hours of "progress" are going to be."

No clue if "two hours" is an exaggeration or not, Syd might be able to clarify how long this takes to overcome. Also, looks like most people responding to her comments say it's pretty much the only downer in the game, so yeah.
Arlock41
Title: Naunie
PostPosted: May 24 2014 09:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Took me about 70ish hours to beat the game.
And that's with maxing out everyone's levels and jobs.
But as soon as I hit the Time Loop I stopped playing it for a few weeks.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 27 2014 06:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
No clue if "two hours" is an exaggeration or not, Syd might be able to clarify how long this takes to overcome. Also, looks like most people responding to her comments say it's pretty much the only downer in the game, so yeah.

It depends. You only really have to do the four main temples every time, and you can set the encounter rate to zero so you only fight the four main bosses in each temple, so that's probably 40 minutes tops. If you want to re-fight all the optional bosses each time, that's like 3-4 hours.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: May 27 2014 01:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The whole "replay the entire game a bunch" is almost entirely optional. You can speed through it if you don't care about the optional parts in maybe 20 minutes.

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Reply to topic

Jump to: