"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
TMNT III vs TMNT II for the NES

Reply to topic
Spanish Meatloaf
Title: Denim Clad Road Warrior
PostPosted: Nov 10 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have been lolling around the interwebs and found plenty of NES top tens, but in each one (including syd's) its lists TMNT II the arcade game in the top ranks instead of TMNT III the Manhattan project. Why no love for the sequel? It was always my favorite. Is there something I'm missing? Is it considered inferior?

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Nov 10 2013 01:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

I emailed Syd about this six years ago, before I joined. He personally voted for TMNT III, but not a lot of others did. Since TMNT II came closest to surpassing Super Mario Bros. without actually doing so and The Manhattan Project is technically superior, logic would dictate that it be in the top 10 (where Bubble Bobble is, personally, which would've made for a more interesting poll involving Chrono Trigger), but it's not as fondly remembered, which is a shame.
Spanish Meatloaf
Title: Denim Clad Road Warrior
PostPosted: Nov 10 2013 01:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for clearing that up, 3 was the only one I got to play as a kid, and I feel like i'm living in some weird negative universe where no one acknowledges it's existence.

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Nov 10 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I played the first one and III a fair bit as a kid. I played II a bit in my teens and I definitely have always been drawn most to III. I don't see it in stores as much as II and was pretty happy to grab it a couple months ago, brings back a lot of memories.

I personally enjoy III more than II, but more people may have played II I think due to III's release kind of late into the systems life.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 10 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

2 was also a port of a very popular arcade game, released at the height of Turtlemania. TMNT was in a slow downward spiral when TMNT 3 came out.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Nov 10 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Manhattan Project also had the weird mechanic that you could use your power move with one life bar left and not die. So whenever I played and got down to one life, Raphael turned into a flying headbutt machine.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Nov 10 2013 07:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
Manhattan Project also had the weird mechanic that you could use your power move with one life bar left and not die. So whenever I played and got down to one life, Raphael turned into a flying headbutt machine.

Thank you for bringing back one of my fondest NES memories. I also did this, but I haven't thought about TMNT III in years.
GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Dec 19 2013 09:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
2 was also a port of a very popular arcade game, released at the height of Turtlemania. TMNT was in a slow downward spiral when TMNT 3 came out.

Agreed

I played 3 and while still a good game in its own right it couldn't capture the magic TMNT 2 for NES had during the Golden Era of Turtle Power It being the arcade game everyone wanted helped it alot as well.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Dec 20 2013 02:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Huh, before this thread I was unaware that this was even debated. I always thought TMNT III was superior in every way.

Reply to topic

Jump to: