"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Arcades

Reply to topic
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Jan 18 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I recently found this article on the history of arcades.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/16/3740422/the-life-and-death-of-the-american-arcade-for-amusement-only

I really wish arcades would make a comeback. Why do people not go to the arcades anymore?

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jan 18 2013 03:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, disregarding the fact that all of the arcades in the St. Louis area (at least, as far as I know) have long since died, I'm old enough to realize that spending six to eight bucks at the arcade like my dad used to is kind of a waste of money. That and the fact that many games in the arcades can now be played on home consoles. Though, home consoles couldn't recreate the awesome feeling of playing an X-Men or Simpsons cabinet, but still.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jan 18 2013 04:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Because online gaming and downloadable arcade-style games made them obsolete.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jan 18 2013 08:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't go in arcades anymore because there are none and also because they are too expensive. If they were cheap and available i would still hit the arcades now and then. Playing a game on a arcade machine is much cooler than playing than at home. I always loved to it back in the days.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Jan 18 2013 08:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The only arcade I've really been to in the last 10 or so years was Gameworks and that place is expensive as fuck. Only really went because it was a different experience than playing at home, though online gaming has made up for a lot of that. It is much more economical to just buy a game and a system because you'll get more hours per dollar spent.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jan 18 2013 08:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love arcades and spent a lot of money in them as a kid. That said, as soon as home consoles' power and graphics overtook what you saw in most arcade games, it was over. It made more economic sense to buy the home versions of your favorite games. Since the primary consumers of arcade games were kids with relatively little money, they were forced to go the cheaper route.

Plus, arcades were fun for the social aspect, but that could be met with just everyone going to the same house. That wound up being more fun anyway because you could eat and play for hours into the night.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 18 2013 08:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
I love arcades and spent a lot of money in them as a kid. That said, as soon as home consoles' power and graphics overtook what you saw in most arcade games, it was over. It made more economic sense to buy the home versions of your favorite games. Since the primary consumers of arcade games were kids with relatively little money, they were forced to go the cheaper route.

Plus, arcades were fun for the social aspect, but that could be met with just everyone going to the same house. That wound up being more fun anyway because you could eat and play for hours into the night.

this mirrors my line of thought

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jan 20 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If I had the space and money, I'd totally buy a cabinet of my own. I want one of those neat Versus City cabinets to convert it to a MAME cabinet or something.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Reply to topic

Jump to: