SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Dark Knight Rises

Reply to topic
Alowishus
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Okay i was surprised there wasn't a topic on this after searching.

I've my tickets booked for Friday. Should be a good show. Are you all booked up yet?

I was surprised the screening wasn't full when i went to book it to be honest.
Lasher
Title: an horse
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty excited for this. In the past few months I've completed Arkham City, read a whole bunch of older comics like Knightfall (Broken Bat) and have been listening to the Fat Man on Batman podcast - which is phenomenal. I don't see it performing /as/ well as Avengers, but I hope it does. I also hope he doesn't die like that old man on TV joked about.

get your ass to mars

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am planning to go in 2 weeks when I am on vacation. I am hoping that no one ruins it for me between now and then... stupid internet is full of so many jerks.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Almost started a topic myself this morning when I looked around to see if anyone here was talking about it.

The excitement is really building for me now. Planning on seeing it Sunday morning. Was going to see it Saturday, but my friends and I have to help my girlfriend move that day. Us old men would probably fall asleep in the theatre if we were to go see it after moving furniture & books all day. Besides, I hate dealing with crowds.

Lasher wrote:
I don't see it performing /as/ well as Avengers

I'm fairly confident that it will surpass both the performance of the previous Batman movie & Avengers. We'll see soon enough if I'm off base on this feeling.

Can't wait to see if it meets my expectations!
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 02:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Unless the guy who plays Bane dies between now and the opening, I don't think it'll quite reach the last Batman movie in terms of box office and critical acclaim. Though I don't doubt it will be a massive success in both arenas.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Lasher
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 02:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
I am planning to go in 2 weeks when I am on vacation. I am hoping that no one ruins it for me between now and then... stupid internet is full of so many jerks.

I hope that's not intended towards me regarding David Letterman's goof about the subject.

get your ass to mars

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 02:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lasher wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

I hope that's not intended towards me regarding David Letterman's goof about the subject.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Lasher
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 03:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Lasher wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

ok, we'll leave it at that. ctrl+z Razz

get your ass to mars

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 03:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i have friday off, so i'll go catch it then in the morning when there arent that many people. some people from work are going to the midnight showing and i was tempted to go, but i would rather not get stuck at work and miss ANY part of the movie

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
i have friday off, so i'll go catch it then in the morning when there arent that many people. some people from work are going to the midnight showing and i was tempted to go, but i would rather not get stuck at work and miss ANY part of the movie

Knowing how near-noon shows go. Let us know how many parents brought their kids into the theatre.

I've got free passes, so the tentative plan is to see The Amazing Spider-Man on Saturday with those, and then chase it with Dark Knight Rises.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

username
PostPosted: Jul 18 2012 04:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
username wrote:

Knowing how near-noon shows go. Let us know how many parents brought their kids into the theatre.

I've got free passes, so the tentative plan is to see The Amazing Spider-Man on Saturday with those, and then chase it with Dark Knight Rises.

downtown phoenix is usually pretty barren when it comes to movies.

i took my niece to watch Brave during the saturday it premiered and i saw maybe like 5 other families in one of the big auditoriums we saw the movie in. so, downtown should still be pretty clear for me.

my plan is to watch batman and then follow it up w/spiderman afterwards

Klimbatize wrote:

Lasher
PostPosted: Jul 19 2012 07:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just got back from seeing it. Avengers it is not. I absolutely loved it though. Bane is awesome. The only problem with Hathaway was she isn't in it enough. Begins was about becoming Batman, Dark Knight about villains upping the ante. Rises goes deeper into Wayne and why he is what he is. I don't want to spoil anything, but It's definitely worth the ticket.

get your ass to mars

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jul 19 2012 07:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Posting a huge Batman spoiler:
[SPOILER:31f1d3a8cb]Image[/SPOILER:31f1d3a8cb]

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jul 20 2012 07:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fortune Smiles
Title: Strangely Missing
PostPosted: Jul 20 2012 08:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/shootings-at-dark-knight-rises-screening-16187486.html

I kinda don't want to go to the cinema now.

I saw that in the paper this morning. That's some really fucked up shit; it's a disgrace to humanity. I say throw the guy in jail and throw away the key. He's in his early 20's, so he'll have a long life of isolated hell. It's a shame that that will do nothing to alleviate the suffering and/or extirpation of the victims and their families.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Jul 20 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think I've even heard of a theatre shooting since the 80s, or maybe early 90s, and those were all gang-related incidents in bad, Chicago neighborhoods.
username
PostPosted: Jul 20 2012 03:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i been saying it:

DONT. SPOIL. THE. MOVIE.

in all seriousness though. this sucks. its some f'd up type of BS that it happens at all.

Klimbatize wrote:

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jul 20 2012 03:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
i been saying it:

DONT. SPOIL. THE. MOVIE.

QFT! Thanks to you jerks, now I know some guy is going to come in and shoot me 20 minutes into the movie. I like to be surprised, thank you very much.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jul 20 2012 05:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay i just saw it and i will make some general comments about what i thought then some spoiler stuff hidden.

Firstly i thought the film was okay. Maybe slightly above average. It didn't blow my mind or anything. I'll just say it is NOT better than the Dark Knight but even without comparing it really when i was watching it i wasn't like "oh my god this film is fucking astounding" i was like it's okay. When i went to see the Dark Knight i was like that when i was watching it, i was on the edge of my seat. It just wasn't the case with this.

Like it wasn't a bad film, i would outright say it was. It seemed to play up the jokes a lot. I'm not sure why this was. The second film did have jokes with the Joker (obviously by name) but they seemed a bit weird or out of place here - granted some where kinda funny but some of them just seemed forced.

Bane was good. His voice was really cool it sounded like a mixture of Psycho Mantis and Deckard Cain i thought. He was a good villain and had plenty of good lines/monologues.

As for the plot, it was pretty generic i thought, it didn't really wow me in that department. The scenes with Michael Caine i thought were pretty bad, the acting was a bit crap and the dialogue was a bit, "you serious?"

Okay spoiler time.
[SPOILER:e54fc131c1]Right the ending was total BS lol. I wanted Batman to die and it was really cheesy and annoying how it cut to Caine sitting in the restaurant which was referenced earlier in the film about "oh i want to see you Mr Wayne sitting across from me in my dream or whatever and they fucking did that at the end. Him sitting with Catwoman. I was like are you serious? You just should have let him die and that's it.

However it seemed almost tacked on at the end i am hoping that Alfred just went mad or some shit at the end and that's how he wanted it to turn out and it was all in his head because i am nearly 100% sure he was distraught and sitting having a drink and then he looks over and there he is with Selina Kyle.

Also if they make a fucking sequel with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robin i am going to become destroyer of the world because it was said there would be no more Batmans but that doesn't mean there won't be Robins![/SPOILER:e54fc131c1]
username
PostPosted: Jul 20 2012 09:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
Okay i just saw it and i will make some general comments about what i thought then some spoiler stuff hidden.

Firstly i thought the film was okay. Maybe slightly above average. It didn't blow my mind or anything. I'll just say it is NOT better than the Dark Knight but even without comparing it really when i was watching it i wasn't like "oh my god this film is fucking astounding" i was like it's okay. When i went to see the Dark Knight i was like that when i was watching it, i was on the edge of my seat. It just wasn't the case with this.

Like it wasn't a bad film, i would outright say it was. It seemed to play up the jokes a lot. I'm not sure why this was. The second film did have jokes with the Joker (obviously by name) but they seemed a bit weird or out of place here - granted some where kinda funny but some of them just seemed forced.

Bane was good. His voice was really cool it sounded like a mixture of Psycho Mantis and Deckard Cain i thought. He was a good villain and had plenty of good lines/monologues.

As for the plot, it was pretty generic i thought, it didn't really wow me in that department. The scenes with Michael Caine i thought were pretty bad, the acting was a bit crap and the dialogue was a bit, "you serious?"

Okay spoiler time.
[SPOILER:e200ed959b]Right the ending was total BS lol. I wanted Batman to die and it was really cheesy and annoying how it cut to Caine sitting in the restaurant which was referenced earlier in the film about "oh i want to see you Mr Wayne sitting across from me in my dream or whatever and they fucking did that at the end. Him sitting with Catwoman. I was like are you serious? You just should have let him die and that's it.

However it seemed almost tacked on at the end i am hoping that Alfred just went mad or some shit at the end and that's how he wanted it to turn out and it was all in his head because i am nearly 100% sure he was distraught and sitting having a drink and then he looks over and there he is with Selina Kyle.

Also if they make a fucking sequel with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robin i am going to become destroyer of the world because it was said there would be no more Batmans but that doesn't mean there won't be Robins![/SPOILER:e200ed959b]

[SPOILER:e200ed959b]yeah, i was hoping he died, but whatever. that ending was cheesy. it wouldve been cooler if they had gone the Bourne Ultimatum way and had a shot of him swimming away leaving us to wonder wtf happened.

anyhow, as some reviews have said, batman was definitely a secondary character in this movie. it was more about catwoman/bane/blake vs it being about batman. even at 3 hours long, the movie felt rushed IMO. some of the character development wasnt fully fleshed out.

aside from those gripes, i did enjoy the movie quite a bit. i thought it was fun. the action scenes were great. the dialogue was decent. thumbs up from me.

as you said, it is definitely no Dark Knight. but we all knew that was going to be the case. nothing can live up to that magnificent film.[/SPOILER:e200ed959b]

Klimbatize wrote:

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jul 21 2012 02:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
Alowishus wrote:

Okay spoiler time.
[SPOILER:6c057beb44]Right the ending was total BS lol. I wanted Batman to die and it was really cheesy and annoying how it cut to Caine sitting in the restaurant which was referenced earlier in the film about "oh i want to see you Mr Wayne sitting across from me in my dream or whatever and they fucking did that at the end. Him sitting with Catwoman. I was like are you serious? You just should have let him die and that's it.

Also if they make a fucking sequel with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robin i am going to become destroyer of the world because it was said there would be no more Batmans but that doesn't mean there won't be Robins![/SPOILER:6c057beb44]

[SPOILER:6c057beb44]yeah, i was hoping he died, but whatever. that ending was cheesy. it wouldve been cooler if they had gone the Bourne Ultimatum way and had a shot of him swimming away leaving us to wonder wtf happened.

anyhow, as some reviews have said, batman was definitely a secondary character in this movie. it was more about catwoman/bane/blake vs it being about batman. even at 3 hours long, the movie felt rushed IMO. some of the character development wasnt fully fleshed out.

aside from those gripes, i did enjoy the movie quite a bit. i thought it was fun. the action scenes were great. the dialogue was decent. thumbs up from me.

as you said, it is definitely no Dark Knight. but we all knew that was going to be the case. nothing can live up to that magnificent film.[/SPOILER:6c057beb44]

[SPOILER:6c057beb44] the more i think about Batmans death the return makes less sense (at the end in the restaurant).

It was clearly stated that the blast radius for the nuke was something like 4 or 6 miles - it was one of those two. It showed him in the bat and then the nuke went off. There is no possible way that he could have ejected and the bat flew outside the radius in which he would have got killed. The nuke would have to have got him i.e. he would have ejected and got in the blast radius.

This is now the ending i am sticking to and that Alfred went mad in the end with sorrow and he thought he saw him and Selina after heavy drinking.[/SPOILER:6c057beb44]
username
PostPosted: Jul 21 2012 02:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
username wrote:
Alowishus wrote:

Okay spoiler time.
[SPOILER:622ec9bd8b]Right the ending was total BS lol. I wanted Batman to die and it was really cheesy and annoying how it cut to Caine sitting in the restaurant which was referenced earlier in the film about "oh i want to see you Mr Wayne sitting across from me in my dream or whatever and they fucking did that at the end. Him sitting with Catwoman. I was like are you serious? You just should have let him die and that's it.

Also if they make a fucking sequel with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robin i am going to become destroyer of the world because it was said there would be no more Batmans but that doesn't mean there won't be Robins![/SPOILER:622ec9bd8b]

[SPOILER:622ec9bd8b]yeah, i was hoping he died, but whatever. that ending was cheesy. it wouldve been cooler if they had gone the Bourne Ultimatum way and had a shot of him swimming away leaving us to wonder wtf happened.

as you said, it is definitely no Dark Knight. but we all knew that was going to be the case. nothing can live up to that magnificent film.[/SPOILER:622ec9bd8b]

[SPOILER:622ec9bd8b] the more i think about Batmans death the return makes less sense (at the end in the restaurant).

It was clearly stated that the blast radius for the nuke was something like 4 or 6 miles - it was one of those two. It showed him in the bat and then the nuke went off. There is no possible way that he could have ejected and the bat flew outside the radius in which he would have got killed. The nuke would have to have got him i.e. he would have ejected and got in the blast radius.

This is now the ending i am sticking to and that Alfred went mad in the end with sorrow and he thought he saw him and Selina after heavy drinking.[/SPOILER:622ec9bd8b]

[SPOILER:622ec9bd8b]my guess is that Nolan originally wanted him to die, but Warner Bros wouldnt allow that. so he threw in that half assed ending. [/SPOILER:622ec9bd8b]
EDIT: since it was a 3 hour long movie, and i had 2 beers watching it, i had to pee very very badly at the end of the movie, so i didnt stay for the after credits stuff. was there anything after the credits were done?

Klimbatize wrote:

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jul 22 2012 07:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing was after the credits. You don't have to worry.

I'm really starting to feel like Spider-man was the better half of my double feature.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: Jul 22 2012 05:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I went to a trilogy marathon, all three movies for $25. I also got popcorn and pop for my friend and I and that brought it to $40.

I thought it was a good movie. It certainly will not achieve Avatar-ian numbers because of the massacre, and it isn't an epic movie. It's a good movie, it's perfectly throttled to provide the best comic book movie experience possible, but I am growing tired of the Comic Book movie formula. It's getting old and little excites me, and there isn't hardly anything I haven't seen or want to see yet.

Now, I'll reply to some plot points in the Spoiler section.

[SPOILER:9f8bdbfb40]

I didn't like the payoff for Bane. He was built up perhaps more than any other comic book movie villain in the history of comic book movies, before and during the movie, and the way they killed him off had been done before multiple times.

Catwoman: This is the best Catwoman, IMO, and it's about damned time they
do a Catwoman where it isn't all fucking insanely Feline with a touch of mischievery.

I thought the payoff with Alfred at the end was spectacular. People who think Batman has to be this insanely dark hero who hates recognition and has to be forgotten about at the end have the spirit of Batman too dark and off base in my opinion.

And Robin. That was awesome. Very awesome.

[/SPOILER:9f8bdbfb40]

I felt overall that the 89 movie had the spirit of Batman to me a lot better than this one, but the stories were better in the Christopher Nolan series. There wasn't much payoff for most of the movies, and Dark Knight would have been tremendous if it didn't have Two-Face crammed into it. Or if they had to use Two-Face, at least let him live to be in this one. The payoff. The payoff, the payoff is what made me like Batman and Batman Returns better.

Lasher
PostPosted: Jul 23 2012 06:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
username wrote:
Alowishus wrote:

Okay spoiler time.
[SPOILER:93cc72a03e]Right the ending was total BS lol. I wanted Batman to die and it was really cheesy and annoying how it cut to Caine sitting in the restaurant which was referenced earlier in the film about "oh i want to see you Mr Wayne sitting across from me in my dream or whatever and they fucking did that at the end. Him sitting with Catwoman. I was like are you serious? You just should have let him die and that's it.

Also if they make a fucking sequel with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robin i am going to become destroyer of the world because it was said there would be no more Batmans but that doesn't mean there won't be Robins![/SPOILER:93cc72a03e]

[SPOILER:93cc72a03e]yeah, i was hoping he died, but whatever. that ending was cheesy. it wouldve been cooler if they had gone the Bourne Ultimatum way and had a shot of him swimming away leaving us to wonder wtf happened.

as you said, it is definitely no Dark Knight. but we all knew that was going to be the case. nothing can live up to that magnificent film.[/SPOILER:93cc72a03e]

[SPOILER:93cc72a03e] the more i think about Batmans death the return makes less sense (at the end in the restaurant).

This is now the ending i am sticking to and that Alfred went mad in the end with sorrow and he thought he saw him and Selina after heavy drinking.[/SPOILER:93cc72a03e]

[SPOILER:93cc72a03e] That was kind of the whole point of the autopilot they alluded to throughout the movie with Lucius. At the point Batman takes off in the Bat he knows he can just autopilot it away and be nowhere near it. Half the reason the movie is so long is because it is littered with all these sub-plots to help it all come full circle.[/SPOILER:93cc72a03e]

get your ass to mars

Reply to topic

Jump to: