"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Walking Dead Season 3

Reply to topic
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Mar 31 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say a lot of the fans got their wish tonight on the finale.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Mar 31 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They need to quit judging Carl. I thought he was completely justified in shooting that dude.

First Hershel tells the guy to drop his gun and he doesn't which was reason enough to shoot him, IMO. Plus, the way he was holding his gun, I was 90% sure he was going to try to quickdraw and blast Carl.

All the guy had to do was drop his gun and he'd be alive. Instead he slightly lowers it while walking right at Carl. I would've shot him too. You can't be too careful in a zombie apocalypse.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 01 2013 01:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, Rogue Hippo. That kid was barely even lowering that thing for 10 seconds, he looked ready to draw any second. I know they're trying to make Carl seem hardened or whatever, but that was a bad way to do it. Anyone who was legit gonna drop their weapon would have dropped that shit, not said "Here, take it" and stand still for 10 seconds.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 01 2013 08:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Also, it was irrelevant whether Carl shot him or not, because he would have died during the Governor's hissy fit anyway.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 01 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very true Syd.

It was understandable. Cold, but understandable. It's not like they can take POWs. Still, he should have been way more conflicted about it afterward.

And yay, that failed character Andrea is dead!
Alowishus
PostPosted: Apr 01 2013 07:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Andrea is dead.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say:

"Zero fucks given."

Her bumbling apology did not garner any sympathy to the total trainwreck of a character she was.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 02 2013 06:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What exactly is a "failed character"? I don't really understand what that means.

Also, why didn't Martinez or that other guy shoot the governor? Like, if I just watched a guy gun down people for no reason, I would put a bullet in him the second his back was turned.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 02 2013 07:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think she was a "failed character" at all. She was simply a character, written to be unlikable. If anything, that is the opposite of a failed character. Seems like a success to me. I think the people saying that are simply looking for different words for "CHARACTER I DON'T LIKE".

Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
What exactly is a "failed character"? I don't really understand what that means.

To me, it means her story arc and everything the writers were trying to do with her character didn't work out, and actually backfired in this case, resulting in failure. This season, they used her in trying to push the potential for good that Woodbury represented as a safe haven from the apocalypse and to sell the sane facade that the Governor was projecting before his insanity manifested itself. With Michonne seeing that there was something going on underneath immediately, and Tyreese & Sasha determining it within two episodes, Andrea just came off as stupid and naive, while "selling out her friend for a warm bed," which is seemingly the opposite of how the writers were trying to present Andrea. Add to that, that the only other character that was introduced to Woodbury around the same time (and had lines), and who also bought into Woodbury was Allen, who in every scene was shown as a self-centered asshole, it didn't do Andrea any favors. As a result, the viewers vocally disliked her.

Then there's her arc before S3, where she shat on Dale for cornering her into abandoning her desire to commit suicide, and then aided Beth in trying to commit suicide, and her character had already come off as unlikeable. Sure, it's understandable to be mad at Dale for what he did, but the way the writers made her react to it made her seem like a spoiled bitch. And actually enabling a confused teenager into committing suicide, even in this world was beyond shitty, especially when she had no solid connection to Beth. That was something that would have been between family or friends and Beth, not a relative stranger. If Andrea had a connection to Beth, the writers would be doing something interesting with that, like when Worf asked Riker to help him commit suicide in order to die honorably in an episode of TNG. Instead, Andrea came off as someone who was trying to help anyone else commit suicide because she was blocked when she attempted it herself, resulting in a negative reaction by the audience, which was not the writers' intent, in my opinion.

Andrea simply came off as annoying as Lori with her bipolar bitching at Rick and Lady MacBeth routine. I think the writers killed both those characters out of fan service, even though Kirkman and others have already said otherwise.

It's really the writers failing to get the audience to buy what they were doing with the character, not just that many of the viewers, including myself, didn't like Andrea. They wanted us to like her, not call her stupid all the time.

Syd Lexia wrote:
Also, why didn't Martinez or that other guy shoot the governor? Like, if I just watched a guy gun down people for no reason, I would put a bullet in him the second his back was turned.

It certainly seemed that they were shocked and scared when it occurred - Martinez at least, judging by his mouth-agape reaction. My only possible explanation is that they're soldiers & followers, and in their mind, don't have any agency of their own, and were too scared to act. I can't imagine them having any loyalty to the Guv next season. I would think they would want to disconnect from him as soon as possible, but these writers have done inexplicable things in the past.

The bottom line is probably that it's just the demands of the plot again, as the writers want the Guv around for S4.

That's the problem with the show, it has some potential that keeps me watching, but the writers fuck up a lot of the time. The show has progressively gotten better, however, keeping my hope stringing along.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
I think the writers killed both those characters out of fan service, even though Kirkman and others have already said otherwise.

I believe that too. And it was annoying that they tried to redeem both characters in their final moments. Those scenes were more eyerolling than sad.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Let us not forget that Andrea also shot Daryl in the head.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

The wife, not having an interest in the comics but watching the show, felt the need to make me "catch up" and watch what I had missed through this current episode. Thank you Comcast and your "Watchathon". Anyway, what I find interesting, and I understand that they are different universes based on the same source material with diverging paths, but killing Andrea off even further alters the continuity. I am curious to see if it is for the better. I do agree with Cattivo I do not care for how the writers for the show dealt with her character and killing their version of the character off is most likely for the best.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
And it was annoying that they tried to redeem both characters in their final moments. Those scenes were more eyerolling than sad.

Totally agreed. A laughable disconnect of logic. Didn't buy it at all for either.

Man, on a similar note, Dale was such a waste of potential, too. The show needs a voice of morality in it, but Dale just came off annoying as it. That effect seems to be a theme for these writers.

Valdronius wrote:
Let us not forget that Andrea also shot Daryl in the head.

Such a dumbass!
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 01:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actually liked Dale a lot. I don't understand why people didn't.

Also, Hershel is pretty much the voice of the morality now.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 04:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Same here.

Also, her character was immensely annoying throughout the season, but I actually thought Andrea's death scene was really sad. You could really feel the shame and sense of futility in her voice when she kept saying "I tried". The actress did a really good job of conveying her realization that everything she went through to try to avoid a conflict between the two factions was for nothing. In retrospect it makes her character arc almost tragic.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 04:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

I loved Dale, but when we got to the Randall situation in Season 2 and he was all "We gotta let the boy go!" and doing his Romero-esque "We'll be no better than the zombies!" thing, it was silly at best. Yeah, let the kid go who just admitted his group has machine guns AND just raped some people. Yeah, let him run off to those guys, I'm sure he's fine and won't tell them where the farm is. Slobberknocker!

Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I liked Dale in Season 1, but, to agree with Josh, his heavy-handed moralizing in S2 got annoying. As I said, that moral voice needs to be there, but the writers presented it poorly coming out of Dale's mouth to the point where I was mostly glad he got killed off so that he would shutup.

Syd Lexia wrote:
Also, Hershel is pretty much the voice of the morality now.

True. I've grown to like him now, and he doesn't seem to do it in an annoying way anymore. Perhaps the writers are learning. I hope so.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 05:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Herschel is possibly my favorite character. He's just so damn charming. I'm gonna cry like a bitch if/when he dies.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 09:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone else think Glen and/or Maggie were gonna get shot when they took off their helmets?

"We won! The bad guys have been gone for 30 seconds! Let's take our helmets off!"

BLAM.

I don't know, maybe this show has conditioned me to expect the worst. Or maybe I just watched Starship Troopers too many times.
Reply to topic

Jump to: