Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 02:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

agree or no?

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jun 23 2012 03:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Burzum is kind of a dick and I don't feel he belongs on anything implying he's worth listening to. I'm not sure how I feel about Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Marilyn Manson, Him, Korn, or Deftones being included in a grouping like that, either.

All the rest, I either agree or I haven't heard of them.

JRA
PostPosted: Jun 23 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The inclusion of all the awful nu-metal and the exclusion of Death in the death metal section. This list is irrelevant. Also, fuck Avenged Sevenfold.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jun 25 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Eh..

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jun 25 2012 09:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

"Not Metal" section, fuck me people are stupid.

*puts on raging metal fans voice against the tyranny of it all*
"THOSE BANDS DESECRATING MY PRECIOUS METAL (they say as they are probably masturbating over an iron maiden cover) WE CAN'T ASSOCIATE THEM WITH OUR """GOOD""" METAL BECAUSE THEY CLEARLY ARE SHIT SO THEY CAN'T BE METAL CAUSE THAT WOULD PUT METALS FLAWLESS REPUTATION UNDER QUESTION"

"OH LOOK A POPULAR "METAL" BAND THAT MEANS I CAN'T LIKE THEM BECAUSE METAL IS SO DARK AND EDGY AND MY MYSTIQUE AND COOLNESS WOULD GO DOWN."

"METAL WITH ALTERNATIVE OR EXPERIMENTAL ELEMENTS?!?!?!?! SATAN LAUGHS IN YOUR FACE. THAT'S NOT METAL. HOW DARE ANYONE TRY TO PUSH THE BOUNDARIES OF METAL!!?!?! I DEMAND ALL BANDS MUST DETUNE THEIR STRINGS DOWN TWENTY FIVE OCTAVES AND MAKE UNINTELLIGIBLE PIG NOISES INTO THE MICROPHONE BECAUSE THAT IS METAL."

This is what they fucking retards are actually like. Take no regard for music history, no regard for what hundreds of critics say about these "not metal bands". They are a disgrace to people who play and listen to music.

Not to mention that one can quickly just go:

"Deftones are an American alternative metal band from Sacramento, California"

Well that was quickly debunked.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jun 25 2012 03:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:

"THOSE BANDS DESECRATING MY PRECIOUS METAL (they say as they are probably masturbating over an iron maiden cover) WE CAN'T ASSOCIATE THEM WITH OUR """GOOD""" METAL BECAUSE THEY CLEARLY ARE SHIT SO THEY CAN'T BE METAL CAUSE THAT WOULD PUT METALS FLAWLESS REPUTATION UNDER QUESTION"

"OH LOOK A POPULAR "METAL" BAND THAT MEANS I CAN'T LIKE THEM BECAUSE METAL IS SO DARK AND EDGY AND MY MYSTIQUE AND COOLNESS WOULD GO DOWN."

"METAL WITH ALTERNATIVE OR EXPERIMENTAL ELEMENTS?!?!?!?! SATAN LAUGHS IN YOUR FACE. THAT'S NOT METAL. HOW DARE ANYONE TRY TO PUSH THE BOUNDARIES OF METAL!!?!?! I DEMAND ALL BANDS MUST DETUNE THEIR STRINGS DOWN TWENTY FIVE OCTAVES AND MAKE UNINTELLIGIBLE PIG NOISES INTO THE MICROPHONE BECAUSE THAT IS METAL."

This is what they fucking retards are actually like. Take no regard for music history, no regard for what hundreds of critics say about these "not metal bands". They are a disgrace to people who play and listen to music.

I didn't mention that those bands aren't metal because they're "popular" or because I don't enjoy them or whatever, I mentioned that they aren't metal because they aren't metal. Take Marilyn Manson, for example; yes, his music involves a lot of guitars, but is his music really not electronic enough to be considered metal? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but an album like Mechanical Animals is way too synthy to really be metal.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 25 2012 03:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As much I hate the Deftones, and as much I wish I could travel back in time and assassinate Rage Against The Machine for maximum suckitude, that's not my issue with this.

My issue is that they did a shitty job making the actual chart portion. If you can't fit band names in the chart, make the chart bigger or make the fonts smaller. Jesus Christ.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Alowishus
PostPosted: Jun 25 2012 07:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Alowishus wrote:

I didn't mention that those bands aren't metal because they're "popular" or because I don't enjoy them or whatever, I mentioned that they aren't metal because they aren't metal. Take Marilyn Manson, for example; yes, his music involves a lot of guitars, but is his music really not electronic enough to be considered metal? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but an album like Mechanical Animals is way too synthy to really be metal.

Huh? Dude i wasn't even replying to you, don't take it to heart i ain't shitting on you or anyone in particular. I was just saying in general.

His music may be electronic but it has electronic elements hence why he is alternative metal or nu metal. Both of which are still metal genres as they are subgenres of metal itself. At least that's what i think.

I don't disagree with you that he has electronic elements, i've seen him live i know he does but he is generally thought of as a metal act and not an electronic one.

"Alternative metal is a genre of alternative rock and heavy metal that gained popularity in the early 1990s. Most notably, alternative metal bands are characterized by heavy guitar riffs and experimental approaches to heavy music."

Under that definition Marilyn Manson fits and is therefore metal.

Indeed other "not metal" bands fit into that exact categorisation. Linkin Parks Meteora and Hybrid Theory are definitely metal.

A lot of people associate Deftones with the one song Back to School (a lot that i know) and think they are some sort of "rap rock" band which entirely isn't the case at all. Someone please explain to me how this isn't metal:

All Slipknots albums are clearly metal as well as Korn (apart from maybe their dubstep one). Then all the other bands as well.

For the most part i would say that metal fans who hate those bands or hate nu metal most likely hate them because they

1. hate electronic music
2. hate rapping

They are two common complaints i hear from the people who say they hate those genres. I'm not saying they can't dislike them, that would be absurd but to then claim oh because i dislike them band x or genre x can't be metal is just fucking ludicrous.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 25 2012 07:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Genres are subjective. People have a right to classify or not classify any band, song, or album as whatever they want.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Alowishus
PostPosted: Jun 25 2012 08:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay.

Guns N Roses are now a new genre i've invented called Shit Rock.

[SPOILER:4a70a12dee] I jest but i disagree. It cannot be subjective because then nothing is classifiable. It defies the whole point of even having genres like i just did above. It would like me going to a biologist and telling them the taxonomy system is wrong and just make up something on the spot.[/SPOILER:4a70a12dee]
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 25 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Music is tougher to classify than say.... flowers.

A rose is a rose. A rose can't be a daisy-ish rose with obvious sunflower influences.

And if a rose COULD be a daisy-ish rose with obvious sunflower influences, your best girl would be really pissed off if she got daisy-ish roses with obvious sunflower influences for Valentine's Day instead of real roses.
Greg the White
PostPosted: Jun 28 2012 04:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Music is tougher to classify than say.... flowers.

A rose is a rose. A rose can't be a daisy-ish rose with obvious sunflower influences.

And if a rose COULD be a daisy-ish rose with obvious sunflower influences, your best girl would be really pissed off if she got daisy-ish roses with obvious sunflower influences for Valentine's Day instead of real roses.

Yeah, but if I described a band as having loud, distorted guitars, power chords, a raspy singer that can belt hard rock notes in a metal style, I'd be describing a metal band. I could also be describing Linkin Park. Metalheads will debate that Linkin Park is not metal instead of begrudgingly accepting them, but it's not based on any sort of musical merit. Metalheads just don't want the tween-friendly heavy rock band to taint their wikipedia page.

Punk does the same shit. New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, and Sum 41 are all disgusting pop-punk. What about Screeching Weasel, Green Day, Dillinger Four, and The Queers? They show some similarities in music with the aforementioned bands. No, those are all real punk because they're either established or help our image or whatever, but there's never a debate in similar musical traits. This is the genre that invented the pejorative "emo" sub-genre because Rites of Spring was the first hardcore band to not have the words "Nazi" or "establishment" in every song.

I'm saying if we want to make a huge over-arching genre, cool. Same goes for sub-genres, if you can find distinct differences between musical enclaves, but make it about the music. I'll begrudgingly accept Bowling for Soup and All-American Rejects in the punk genre, if metalheads can swallow their pride and accept Linkin Park and System of a Down in their tent based on musical traits alone. Their fans have to wait outside the tent, though, because nobody wants to put up with that.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 29 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

You know this chart is really is fucked.

Explain to me why Black Sabbath is "metal", but Ozzy, who spent the prime of his post-Sabbath career trying to out-metal the bandmates who fired him, is "semi-metal" in the eyes of the asshole who categorized this shit.

And how in the hell is WASP semi-metal? WASP is about as metal as things get.

What makes Rush "metal" and the Scorpions "rock"? What's really funny is that UFO is "metal" even though they featured former Scorpions member Michael Schenker during his low musical/personal low point.

Also Greg, I appreciate your point, but it still isn't entire valid. For example, people have described early Iron Maiden and Appetite-era Guns N' Roses as having punk qualities, but I haven't found anyone willing to go so far as to label them as punk rock.
JRA
PostPosted: Jun 29 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
You know this chart is really is fucked.

Explain to me why Black Sabbath is "metal", but Ozzy, who spent the prime of his post-Sabbath career trying to out-metal the bandmates who fired him, is "semi-metal" in the eyes of the asshole who categorized this shit.

And how in the hell is WASP semi-metal? WASP is about as metal as things get.

Absolutely. Especially on the second point. WASP was too hard rock to really be considered metal by the metalheads yet were too metal for the glam/hard rock people.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Jun 29 2012 01:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd, you mentioned about how the guy classified Ozzy as semi-metal. You think he put any thought into that beyond "NOT FUCKING LOUD OR MEAN ENOUGH?" It's him classifying metal based not on musical traits, but his own idea of what metal is, mostly social trappings is my guess.

I can also see your points on Maiden and GnR. The specific music was punkish, but if I want to define a band as being a genre, I prefer to look at their legacy. Maiden and GnR did mostly metal songs, and had a fanbase consisting mostly of those who prefer metal, so I'd classify them as metal. Then there are those punk bands like Rancid that tried ska for a short time, but most people remember Rancid as a pop punk band since they only dabbled in ska once or twice, while their legacy deals mostly in straight up punk.

I definitely agree it's subjective to a large extent, but it should at least be about the music first and foremost, and social posturing last.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Rake
Title: Guitarrorist
PostPosted: Sep 14 2012 07:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

There are only four death metal bands in the death metal section, and while I love Cradle of Filth up until and not including Nymphetamine, they only ever put out one black metal album. Even that is a bit of a stretch.

Top 3 bands of the week

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Sep 14 2012 07:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

This is such a fascinating thread.

I love metal, but haven't heard enough real variety or studied it enough to be part of a real conversation beyond "I like this/don't like this." So awesome to read about it from guys who are knowledgeable.

On a related note, heeey...what's wrong with Slipknot?! I like those guys!

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

JRA
PostPosted: Sep 16 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:

The production jobs on their albums are atrocious, too much jumpdafuckup groove and not enough actual riffs. Plus, they kind of look like a dimestore ICP.

Rake wrote:
There are only four death metal bands in the death metal section

I count five. Deicide, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, At The Gates and Possessed.

Still, I wouldn't put At The Gates over Entombed, Dismember, Obituary, Autopsy, Suffocation and of course, Death.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Sep 16 2012 07:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

The production jobs on their albums are atrocious, too much jumpdafuckup groove and not enough actual riffs. Plus, they kind of look like a dimestore ICP.

1. Production on their albums means nothing.

2. Too much groove? So i presume Groove Metal bands like Pantera aren't actually metal?

The conclusion i've reached is the table is terrible.
JRA
PostPosted: Sep 16 2012 05:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
JRA wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

2. Too much groove? So i presume Groove Metal bands like Pantera aren't actually metal?

Production means a lot even for lo-fi albums. if there's too much going on or the wrong instruments are too loud it ruins the whole experience.

As for groove, I don't particularly like groove metal bands, but besides that you can have too much of a good thing.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Sep 16 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Slipknot's only great album was Iowa, the rest all feel like boring retreads of everything that came before, at least in my opinion.

I wouldn't compare them to ICP, their subject matter is totally different from each other, despite the similar goofy appearences.

~ Slipknot is all angsty angry sad emotional nu metal, with some vague rap rock fusion elements to attract the hipster kids who like something heavy but not TOO heavy mind you, perfect for teenagers going through emotionally charged break ups to cry to or sullenly bang their heads broodingly along with.

~ ICP is weird shut in white guy rap with carnival imagary that is a half baked allegory of the concept of Christian judgement, with some inexplicable violence and misogyny thrown in to attract the loweset common denominator demographic (and hilariously contradict the supposed hidden Christian motif at the same time), perfect for teens that never had girlfriends to begin with.

Oddly enough both groups do have one thing in common, their silly fanbases pretending they're standing out and being non comforist by rejecting mainstream groups and cliques whilst turing around forming their own mutually exclusive groups based on conformity and group idenity, so all you really need to decide as a casual listener is which is a stupider name to label yourself with to indicate your raging fan boner,,. Juggalo or Maggot?

Alowishus
PostPosted: Sep 17 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
Alowishus wrote:
JRA wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

Production means a lot even for lo-fi albums. if there's too much going on or the wrong instruments are too loud it ruins the whole experience.

The only reason i mentioned that is because they didn't write the songs like that.
The fact that the songs are mixed poorly or whatever has nothing particularly to do with them. It's how the album was made. I mean sure they could have said they were okay with it but i think you'll know what i mean.

If you said the songs were written poorly in that there is too much going on then that's cool but i don't think you can really fault a band due to the production especially if they didn't produce it.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Sep 17 2012 04:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah but that's a weird point, as someone who was in a band and sat through seemingly endless arguments about tones and pedals and effects and tuning while we worked on a demo I have a hard time imagining ANY band having an [i]you know what? Fuck the production, it sounds good enough![/img]... bands like that usually don't make it past dinking around in the garage stage. . I'd reckon there's just a variety of musical tastes out there, which could account for the various types of production you hear, some appealing and others not so much.com

Alowishus
PostPosted: Sep 17 2012 05:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
Yeah but that's a weird point, as someone who was in a band and sat through seemingly endless arguments about tones and pedals and effects and tuning while we worked on a demo I have a hard time imagining ANY band having an [i]you know what? Fuck the production, it sounds good enough![/img]... bands like that usually don't make it past dinking around in the garage stage. . I'd reckon there's just a variety of musical tastes out there, which could account for the various types of production you hear, some appealing and others not so much.com

Well maybe they thought it sounded good? I don't really think there's a problem with it. It sounds to me like it's a subtle way of saying the songs are crap.

If the production on the albums are so bad, then listen to them live to determine if the sound quality is any better there.

Though i still think it's a lame excuse.

To really understand how i am thinking about this. Imagine a band is making their first album, they've had songs sitting about for years and people like them. Then when they record them on an album, the production quality is said to be shit by those people and then the people now hate the songs.

It is a weird point but it has nothing to do with the songwriting in particular. You can't then just turn around and say a song is shit because the production is shit. If said band performed those songs for years before hand what's the difference? They are still the same songs.

That's really how i am approaching it and that's why i think production is a non-issue. Sure you can dislike their production on their albums but it doesn't make them shit songwriters, poor musicians or the songs themselves bad.

EDIT: Like imagine they found (probably impossible but think hypothetically) some ridiculously old recording of Beethoven performing a concert. The production of the recording would be a piece of shit but he's still regarded as one of the best composers of all time. Hopefully this clear on what i'm saying.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Sep 18 2012 05:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think it can go like this. You hear a song played live by a band who isn't very big and you always enjoy it. They put out an album a year later and the drums sound "soggy", the tuning seems off, the vocals are forced and louder than they should be, the bass is barely audible. That is a bad production. You wish you were hearing it live again. This happens A LOT and is a perfectly valid complaint. The band tries to "legitimize" their sound and make it sound more professional and it comes out like shit.

Reply to topic

Jump to: