5. Calgary. "Calgary gets the lowest ranking on this list because, though it gets trashed pretty regularly, none of the battles there really result in loss of life. Who would dare spill blood in John Byrne’s hometown, after all?"
4. St John's. "I’ll let Newfoundlanders decide which is more embarrassing: The fact that their city was destroyed in the second-tier tie-in book, or the fact that its defence rested in the hands of Speedball."
3. Toronto. "Toronto would serve as the longest-running home base of Alpha Flight’s original run, so naturally, many windows were smashed and buildings destroyed in the issues that followed. But the city as a whole wouldn’t take another truly destructive pounding until Michael Avon Oeming’s Omega Flight miniseries, where the Wrecking Crew (aided by the Great Beasts) utterly demolish the Royal Ontario Museum in a battle with Omega Flight and, for some reason, Beta Ray Bill. I would have thought that, if you’re going to fight at the ROM, you’d want Rom: Spaceknight on your side."
2. Vancouver. "I’m not holding my breath for a miraculous restoration of Vancouver after Fear Itself, like when Odin magically undid the destruction of Paris in Fear Itself #7.3. Though given the widespread flooding, I’m guessing Vancouverites are holding their breath for as long as they can."
1. Edmonton. "Hudnall’s four-story arc Wrath of the Dreamqueen, running from issues 67 to 70, puts Edmonton through the wringer, and may be one of the most gruesome things I’ve ever read in an Alpha Flight comic. The Dreamqueen makes Edmonton her base of operations, uses her mind-control power to take over the city and send Edmontonians on a citywide killing spree. We see a father murder his children with a shotgun, motorists running people over thinking they’re riding bumper cars at the fair, average citizens lynching each other and hanging them from street signs. It practically crosses over into M. Night Shyamalan’s The Happening territory: There’s even a scene where a man is running people over on his lawn with a lawnmower, just like in that movie."