[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Back to the Future Stuff up for auction

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 17 2011 03:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

From the latimes:

Marty McFly's jacket, Doc Brown's shirt, a remote-controlled hoverboard and even one of the time-traveling DeLoreans will be among the items from the "Back to the Future" franchise up for bid at a December auction of Hollywood memorabilia.

More than 100 "Back to the Future" pieces will join a treasure trove of costumes, props and celebrity personal effects up for bid at Profiles in History's three-day auction in December, announced Tuesday.

Among the pieces hitting the auction block from the original 1985 movie will be a jacket worn by Michael J. Fox's McFly and the shirt worn by Christopher Lloyd's Brown character.

Back To The Future JacketPieces from the 1989 sequel, "Back to the Future Part II," include a jacket worn by Thomas F. Wilson's Biff as well as the Griff Tannen remote-controlled Pitbull hoverboard used on screen (and estimated to fetch $15,000 to $20,000).

But it's a piece from the third movie in the franchise, "Back to the Future Part III," that's likely to generate the most interest (and an estimated price of $400,000 to $600,000) -- one of the seven DeLorean time machines that appeared over the course of the trilogy. Profiles in History's description:

"This particular car was used in the 1955 drive-in movie scene when Michael J. Fox drives it into the past and lands in 1885 to find Doc. It was built completely for off-road use. Of the seven DeLoreans, only three have survived since filming, and this is one of those three -- the only one in private hands.... The car comes with a Universal Studios certificate of authenticity and an original signed bill of sale with the vehicle Identification number."

According to the statement issued by Profiles in History, part of the proceeds from this section of the auction will benefit the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research, which was the beneficiary of September's auction of 1,500 pairs of the futuristic-looking, light-up 2011 Nike Mag (a real-life version of the mythical self-lacing sneakers that appeared in the second movie).

The location of the auction, which will also include Marilyn Monroe's wedding ring and a pair of "Wizard of Oz" ruby slippers used on screen and is scheduled to take place Dec. 15 to 17, has not yet been announced.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Oct 17 2011 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting, I've seen one of the original cars at Universal Studios a few times, and it is in poor shape, much like the ride was before they closed it. It would be neat to own it but 400-600k is crazy, especially since you would never get to drive it for fear of wrecking it.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Oct 17 2011 09:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I get the movie props, but Marylin Monroe's wedding ring? That feels too personal to be in an auction like this. But then, I'm a prude. :/

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Oct 18 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

If I am paying $600,000 for a BTTF Time Machine, then it better come with a working Mr. Fusion!
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 18 2011 01:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

$600,000 for a world famous prop from one of the greatest movies ever made? And it's also a working car? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Milhouse
PostPosted: Oct 18 2011 03:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know what I don't get about Back to the Future? How did old Biff from 2015 steal the time machine from Hilldale and go back in time, give the sports almanac to himself and still return the deLorean to the same 2015? Shouldn't he have returned to a "skewed" 2015?
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Oct 18 2011 05:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's actually a good point that I never thought about. I think it might have to do with him giving him the almanac, but Biff not being able to use it until he was able to place his first bet. Thus the future wasn't "changed" before he left. Unlike Doc and Marty who went back to an alternate 1985. But then again if that's the case Marty and Doc could have gone to 1955 when Biff got the magazine and returned to 2015 prior to Biff going back to give it to himself...my head hurts.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Oct 18 2011 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

normally, i would say its like DBZ, where the guy is stuck in his own timeline regardless of what happens. so, he stays stuck in that timeline but he starts a new timeline w/the almanac dealio.

but if that were the case, then why are doc & marty stuck in all these alternate timelines?

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Oct 18 2011 05:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would say it's because they went back to an alternate timeline. Where as Biff just created the new timeline. So anytime after Biffs first bet, would be an alternate timeline. Time travel conversations are fun!

Milhouse
PostPosted: Oct 18 2011 06:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AND, why is Biff such a bad guy to want a better life than the one he was duped out of by Marty? I'm not saying that coasting through life as a bully is right, but it worked for Biff (he seemed generally happy in the beginning of the first movie)... and Marty's time travel shenanigans turned Biff into a car cleaning putz. Marty changes the future for his benefit, but Biff shouldn't? More like, Back to the Hypocrisy.
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Oct 18 2011 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well in Marty's defense he only went back in time by accident, and had no clue that his life would be infinitely better when he went back. Biff knew he would make himself rich and he ended up killing George McFly.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 19 2011 04:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

A working hoverboard

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Milhouse
PostPosted: Oct 19 2011 04:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Well in Marty's defense he only went back in time by accident, and had no clue that his life would be infinitely better when he went back. Biff knew he would make himself rich and he ended up killing George McFly.

Marty and Doc definitely went to 2015 to make life better...to save Marty Junior. Doc should have come back at the end of the first movie and just told Marty to be a better parent and/or move the hell out of Hill Valley and avoid Biff and his offspring entirely.
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Oct 19 2011 05:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea but then there is no sequel or trilogy, and technically they went to the future to set things right as Griff did the crime and pinned it on hapless Marty Jr.

Reply to topic

Jump to: