"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Guy has been playing the same Civilization 2 game for 10 yrs

Reply to topic
Rogue Hippo
Title: Lone Wolf Hippo
PostPosted: Jun 13 2012 03:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/12/ten-year-game-of-civ-2-results-in-hellish-nightmare-planet-permanent-nuclear-war/

Quote:
“The world is a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation,” says Lycerius. “There are 3 remaining super nations in the year 3991 A.D, each competing for the scant resources left on the planet after dozens of nuclear wars have rendered vast swaths of the world uninhabitable wastelands.”

A 1700 year war has wiped out 90% of the world’s population in a nuclear holocaust that seemingly has no end. The polar ice caps have melted and reformed 20 times. Land that isn’t rock or mountain has been reduced to festering, irradiated swampland. Every nation’s resources are devoted to pumping tanks to the front line, where they bash out an everlasting stalemate, and are occasionally nuked. Large cities are long gone. Every time one gets too big, an enemy nation’s spy sneaks in a nuke, and BOOM. The three nations, the Celts, Vikings and the Americans, are poised to continue the war forever.

“The military stalemate is air tight. The post-late game in civ II is perfectly balanced because all remaining nations already have all the technologies so there is no advantage,” Lycerius explains. “There are so many units at once on the map that you could lose 20 tank units and not have your lines dented because you have a constant stream moving to the front.

It sounds pretty interesting. People are asking him to release his save files so they can try to break the stalemate. I wouldn't do it if it was me. I'm not giving away 10 years of my hard work![/url]
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jun 13 2012 03:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The future sounds pretty cool.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 13 2012 04:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jun 13 2012 05:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That sounds pretty awesome. There are a couple of games I have been playing for over 10 years, but nothing like this.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jun 13 2012 06:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's crazy. I approve.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jun 13 2012 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cool, reminds me of paper and pen RPG or War Game campaigns that drag on for years.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jun 13 2012 09:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I heard a story of a Chinese guy who played SimCity 3000 for something like five years and made a perfect, self-sustaining city of maximum efficiency, but it's a horrifying police state with a life expectancy of less than 40. There was a video of its development but it's been deleted from YouTube.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jun 13 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This guy sucks. I can conquer the world with tanks while the rest of the world has spear throwers by about 1600 AD. Takes me about 2 days.
Beach Bum
PostPosted: Jun 14 2012 04:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I imagine he has to be playing on a fairly high difficulty because like Satsui said most of the difficulties will let you can outpace the AI so fast that you have pretty much won by the late middle ages. The highest difficulty would have let the AI keep up well enough that you wouldn't just out-tech them in the first 100 turns of the game. Still I can't imagine it being all that difficult to break the stalemate if you are using nukes everywhere. A few nukes deployed on tanks will let your tanks march right to the city they are blocking.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jun 14 2012 05:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Beach Bum wrote:
I imagine he has to be playing on a fairly high difficulty because like Satsui said most of the difficulties will let you can outpace the AI so fast that you have pretty much won by the late middle ages. The highest difficulty would have let the AI keep up well enough that you wouldn't just out-tech them in the first 100 turns of the game. Still I can't imagine it being all that difficult to break the stalemate if you are using nukes everywhere. A few nukes deployed on tanks will let your tanks march right to the city they are blocking.

By this point it's likely everyone has missile defense systems, which means you can't nuke cities aside from trying to sneak a spy in.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Jun 14 2012 05:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
I heard a story of a Chinese guy who played SimCity 3000 for something like five years and made a perfect, self-sustaining city of maximum efficiency, but it's a horrifying police state with a life expectancy of less than 40. There was a video of its development but it's been deleted from YouTube.

http://consumerist.com/2010/10/pinnacle-of-simcity-urban-planning-is-totalitarian-death-state.html

This is my goal as an urban planner.
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jun 14 2012 06:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

[NES:1a343458ad]A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

How about a nice game of chess?[/NES:1a343458ad]
Alowishus wrote:
The-Excel wrote:

http://consumerist.com/2010/10/pinnacle-of-simcity-urban-planning-is-totalitarian-death-state.html

This is my goal as an urban planner.

I remember that video. Impressive, but quite creepy, stuff.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 15 2012 05:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

hehe quoting Josh. good stuff

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 04:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One of the reasons I loved the Civ games so much, you can continue the worlds ad infinitum, making so many great stories. I usually get bored by 2500 though, especially because I usually exterminate the other civs.
Reply to topic

Jump to: