[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
disappointing sequels

Reply to topic
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jul 21 2011 04:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
Oblivion only got fun for me when I kicked up the difficulty, and just spent all of my time in the woods, hunting. Easy to just get lost doing that on a rainy day. Yeah, though, it was poo otherwise. It came off as more of a tech demo for me, when games of that time were developing graphically to what they are now.

I like this statement, I too had more fun "fucking around" so to speak that I ever had fun with the actual missions in Oblivion, but in Morrowind the story / setting seemed to do a better job of drawing you in to the game / story.

Adrock4 wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:
Blackout wrote:
Why does everyone hate on Doom 3? It was entertaining and very atmospheric!

I have to agree! I've brought it up before, just ignore the Doom origins and it alone is a very good and ambitious game, much like how Dead Space is today. It even is more connected to the Doom franchise then the movie with the Rock... You actually go to hell in it!

It was alright. I wouldn't call it ambitous, but it's pretty good.

Also, if the Hell levels weren't your favorite part of the game, you need your head examined.

The hell levels were awesome, but my favorites were just before them(I think, it's been a while and my original Xbox is packed away and our current 360 is hard drive-less so I haven't played Doom3 in a while...), you remember, where everything started getting SERIOUSLY fucked up, like blood all over the walls chainsaw wielding fucker charging you out of no where? the atmosphere was pretty fucking scary at the time, but then again I played it in the dark after night shift all by myself. It definitely was not a game to played with other people because it ruined the scary factor, unlike the first Dooms. I never got in to online multiplayer even to this day so I have no idea how Doom 3's co-op stacks up.

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Jul 21 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Simple: Online Co-Op and the multiplayer for Doom3= terrible. The single player was the best part of that game, and yes I agree about the levels on the base of Mars, with all of the computers flying everywhere, the imps explode-summoning to the base in front of you and all the "survivors" hiding thinking they will be alright... they won't be alright.
Greg the White
PostPosted: Jul 22 2011 02:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot another one: Every single Painkiller sequel. I know people will say they don't count, but if the publishers and developers insist on using the name, then they have to be held as sequels.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jul 23 2011 04:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Slayer1 wrote:
Simple: Online Co-Op and the multiplayer for Doom3= terrible. The single player was the best part of that game, and yes I agree about the levels on the base of Mars, with all of the computers flying everywhere, the imps explode-summoning to the base in front of you and all the "survivors" hiding thinking they will be alright... they won't be alright.

I always tried to kill them with my flashlight, seemed the most merciful way to spare them the horror of being eaten alive while still conserving precious ammo.

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jul 24 2011 05:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Actraiser 2 might be a good example, if you liked the building cities part. Without that it's pretty much just Castlevania with a sword instead of a whip.
slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Oct 28 2014 01:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
Starfox 2 for SNES because it got announced but was never made!

There's now a pretty popular hack of it out there now. I don't know how it is but it looks cool. They're selling all over ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Fox-2-English-StarFox-2-/231368696677?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item35dea62365

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Oct 28 2014 09:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Got to look into that someday soon.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Oct 29 2014 09:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

slapolakinkaido wrote:
i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
Starfox 2 for SNES because it got announced but was never made!

There's now a pretty popular hack of it out there now. I don't know how it is but it looks cool. They're selling all over ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Fox-2-English-StarFox-2-/231368696677?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item35dea62365

I thought Star Fox 2 ROM was leaked online a few years ago.
slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Oct 29 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure it was. I don't know much about it specifically. I just know you can play just about every 'unreleased' game through ROM hacking, repo carts, etc. I actually enjoy some of them a lot. I have quite a few repos myself.

slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Nov 06 2014 03:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Suikoden II. Not the game itself, but I'm mostly disappointed in how expensive it is on ebay, etc. I enjoyed the first game, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford to play the second one.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 06 2014 06:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mortal Kombat 2. Too many characters, too many fatalities, too much bloodier than the original.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cattivo
PostPosted: Nov 06 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sacrilege! I loved all the old 2D MK's. Got tons of enjoyment playing as Baraka in MK2.

Then again, I was a big MK fanboy and didn't like Street Fighter that much, so my opinion is biased.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Nov 06 2014 03:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Mortal Kombat 2. Too many characters, too many fatalities, too much bloodier than the original.

I had to read this twice because I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Nov 06 2014 03:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

This is not a joke, This is serious.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Nov 06 2014 03:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mortal Kombat 2 is the best MK game. Also one of my last great arcade experiences.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Nov 06 2014 03:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I used to go to a retro gaming store, and they had a Mortal Kombat arcade game in the back that you could actually put quarters into the machine and play. I wish the store didn't close down.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Nov 07 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, at least I know I'm not crazy then. (On this subject, anyway.)
slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Nov 07 2014 02:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

This is not a joke, This is serious.

It's good to have Syd's sarcasm back.

GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
Mortal Kombat 2 is the best MK game. Also one of my last great arcade experiences.

MK3 was a good experience but Kung Lao was too strong in that game and some people hated the run button.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 09:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Literally the only experience I have with MK is Dero and I fucking around on a stream. Needless to say, we're not good at it by any definition. I can't remember if that was 2 or 3, though. Lots of fun either way.

Also, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was heart breaking. All the optional bosses are recycled, you're bombarded with way too many party members for a character/story driven game, it's only mildly difficult at best and the entire world was completely rearranged (which makes sense contextually in game, but still felt really weird and upsetting). I think also with the cliffhanger everyone's hoping against hope for a 4th game that puts it right, but I'm not holding my breath.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Cameron
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 02:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
Also, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was heart breaking. All the optional bosses are recycled, you're bombarded with way too many party members for a character/story driven game, it's only mildly difficult at best and the entire world was completely rearranged (which makes sense contextually in game, but still felt really weird and upsetting). I think also with the cliffhanger everyone's hoping against hope for a 4th game that puts it right, but I'm not holding my breath.

Definitely agreed with the sentiment that there are too many party members. The last two party members you get are really poorly developed and receive little to no actual screen time, though I also found that once you get Amiti, Sveta and Eoleo, there's pretty much no point in using Rief, Karis or Tyrell, as the former do pretty much the same thing as the latter, only better.

I am also hoping for a 4th game, but sadly I don't think we'll get one anytime soon due to Nintendo neglecting the series.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 05:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Definitely agreed with the sentiment that there are too many party members. The last two party members you get are really poorly developed and receive little to no actual screen time, though I also found that once you get Amiti, Sveta and Eoleo, there's pretty much no point in using Rief, Karis or Tyrell, as the former do pretty much the same thing as the latter, only better.

I remember thinking that I genuinely appreciated getting Eoleo, as it felt like a more direct tie-in to the previous games. Eoleo being 40-something actually felt weirdly satisfying, in that "oh, yes, here is something that actually comes directly from the previous game and wasn't created solely to complete your party", although it still could have been handled a bit better. Amiti was okay, but I remember thinking that I would have liked having Piers back a lot more. I wasn't a big fan of the ridiculous number of new empires and kingdoms or whatever that popped up from nothing, but claimed to be ancient. Amiti was fine as the son of Piers, but his coming from Ayuthay was weird.

This all having been said, I still maintain that it would have been better if they kept the same system as the first two games: complete the game with a team of four, then release a second game with another team and then they join up later. It would allow for more complete character development and enable players to get a true feel for the attack style they prefer. As it is, I was never sure who I wanted to play as because there wasn't enough time to really legitimize a strategy, so I just went with the default "everyone gets their own djinn and no experimentation is performed."

Cameron wrote:
I am also hoping for a 4th game, but sadly I don't think we'll get one anytime soon due to Nintendo neglecting the series.

Nintendo really missed a nice opportunity to include Isaac or SOMEONE from this series in SSB4. I would have preferred that over Wii Fit Trainer or whatever the hell, and I know that a lot of other people were hoping for him too.

What really bothers me is that they basically threw out everything about the first two games as far as geography is concerned. I understand that canonically speaking the Golden Sun was supposed to bring immense change to everything when it came back, and I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but they handled it so poorly. Continents aren't in the same places as before and none of the cities from the first game, so they didn't even get a chance to show how this massive change has impacted everyone's lives for the last 40 years. It's like the original people and places in general just don't exist anymore. One of the sweet things about the second game was playing it for the first time and then seeing how events from the first game have subtly or not-so-subtly affected this new environment. The very first town you go to is filled with people recovering from that monstrous tidal wave, and then a good portion thereafter is dedicated to people dealing with life after the fact. It was good storytelling.

Coupled with the fact that all of these weird, new empires act and feel as if they've been around for centuries, and even the super fucking huge and apparently ancient structures like the wall and the Temple of the Moon or whatever in the were-people kingdom that just plain didn't exist before, then... fuck. I don't know.

Rant over, sorry. I still get really upset when I remember it. I guess GS: DD was my first real disappointment as a grown up gamer.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Cameron
PostPosted: Dec 14 2014 07:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
I remember thinking that I genuinely appreciated getting Eoleo, as it felt like a more direct tie-in to the previous games. Eoleo being 40-something actually felt weirdly satisfying, in that "oh, yes, here is something that actually comes directly from the previous game and wasn't created solely to complete your party", although it still could have been handled a bit better. Amiti was okay, but I remember thinking that I would have liked having Piers back a lot more. I wasn't a big fan of the ridiculous number of new empires and kingdoms or whatever that popped up from nothing, but claimed to be ancient. Amiti was fine as the son of Piers, but his coming from Ayuthay was weird.

This all having been said, I still maintain that it would have been better if they kept the same system as the first two games: complete the game with a team of four, then release a second game with another team and then they join up later. It would allow for more complete character development and enable players to get a true feel for the attack style they prefer. As it is, I was never sure who I wanted to play as because there wasn't enough time to really legitimize a strategy, so I just went with the default "everyone gets their own djinn and no experimentation is performed."
Same, regarding Eoleo. With a character lineup full of cutesy looking teenagers, it was super refreshing to have a middle-aged man as a playable character. Same with Piers too; he was easily one of my favorite characters in The Lost Age (if not my favorite playable character), and given the fact that he's more or less canonically established as being hundreds of years old, I'm really hoping he shows up in a future installment. Also, I'm not sure if you want me to spoil a major plot point for you, but Amiti is definitely the son of someone, but they aren't Piers. Razz
Drew Linky wrote:
Nintendo really missed a nice opportunity to include Isaac or SOMEONE from this series in SSB4. I would have preferred that over Wii Fit Trainer or whatever the hell, and I know that a lot of other people were hoping for him too.

YES. I've been hoping for anyone at all from Golden Sun (it would most likely be Isaac or even Sveta at this point) in a Smash Bros. game since before Brawl came out, but I'm not sure it'll ever happen. Which is a shame, considering how many potentially cool attacks there would be.

Drew Linky wrote:

What really bothers me is that they basically threw out everything about the first two games as far as geography is concerned. I understand that canonically speaking the Golden Sun was supposed to bring immense change to everything when it came back, and I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but they handled it so poorly. Continents aren't in the same places as before and none of the cities from the first game, so they didn't even get a chance to show how this massive change has impacted everyone's lives for the last 40 years. It's like the original people and places in general just don't exist anymore. One of the sweet things about the second game was playing it for the first time and then seeing how events from the first game have subtly or not-so-subtly affected this new environment. The very first town you go to is filled with people recovering from that monstrous tidal wave, and then a good portion thereafter is dedicated to people dealing with life after the fact. It was good storytelling.

Coupled with the fact that all of these weird, new empires act and feel as if they've been around for centuries, and even the super fucking huge and apparently ancient structures like the wall and the Temple of the Moon or whatever in the were-people kingdom that just plain didn't exist before, then... fuck. I don't know.

Rant over, sorry. I still get really upset when I remember it. I guess GS: DD was my first real disappointment as a grown up gamer.

Definitely agreed. To be honest, while I loved GS: DD while I played it, parts of it definitely felt to me like the game was either rushed or unfinished (namely the underdeveloped playable characters late in the game). Plausibly both.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Dec 22 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rogue Squadron 3. Half the game involved running around on foot, which is already bogus when I want to be flying an X-Wing, but to add insult to injury, the on-foot levels were absolutely terrible. Who ever thought that was a good idea?
Count_Akula
Title: Sir Galahad
PostPosted: Dec 23 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Disappointing sequels? Rolling Thunder 2. Although I never actually played it, the screenshots looked lame like it was set in the old west or something. The first one is probably one of the greatest arcade games ever though..

Reply to topic

Jump to: