[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Wii U rumors

Reply to topic
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 15 2011 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
the new system's code name is actually "Project Café."

Worst code name ever. Call it something intimidating like "Project Lead Sprinkler" or "Project McGriddle"

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Apr 15 2011 09:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

or "Project 14 inch wang"

or "Project Tyson"

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Apr 16 2011 05:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

At least in my opinion the only reason to get a PS2 back in the day was the firestorm of ombwthfbbq that GTAIII ( & Vice City & San Andreas)
was. Once it inevitability ported out I went back to the Xbox since it had what I already liked (Doom 3 Capcom Arcade Classics Morrowind/Shenmue III Robotech and a Plethora of shooters, plus that one Xbox Castlevania game that doesn't suck, like the other Xbox Castlevania game does...] and the Gamecube (everything else, you know what is good on the cube don't ya?). So yeah, screw sony! Rolling Eyes

Although I will admit they OWN controller design so far, the PS1/2/3 controllers are the closest to perfection I have seen so far... So I guess they win that!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 16 2011 07:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Let's hope the system is setup to do DLC properly and that Nintendo doesn't impose restrictions on devs. Capcom said the only reason that MvC2 wasn't on WiiWare is because it was bigger than Nintendo's required DLC size limits.

Also, a touch screen seems like a poor idea. You know why we never saw any Wii/DS connectivity? Because you have to look at the touch screen to see what you're doing, something you don't need to do with buttons on a controller.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
taterfyrings
PostPosted: Apr 16 2011 09:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have been thinking about a way to include both motion and a regular controller in the same controller, and have been thinking about some kind of lego-way of doing it where the wiimote slides into a shell with two analog sticks, more buttons and the screen. I found this picture on gaf to illustrate:

Maybe also the nunckuk could be connected somehow? In that way Nintendo would save some money on all the plastics out of the box, and they would appeal to both core and casual gamers alike.
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Apr 16 2011 01:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Let's hope the system is setup to do DLC properly and that Nintendo doesn't impose restrictions on devs. Capcom said the only reason that MvC2 wasn't on WiiWare is because it was bigger than Nintendo's required DLC size limits.

Also, a touch screen seems like a poor idea. You know why we never saw any Wii/DS connectivity? Because you have to look at the touch screen to see what you're doing, something you don't need to do with buttons on a controller.

Yea, purportedly it will be a controller similar in overall layout to the Gamecube controller featuring some sort of built in LCD. So you will still have physical buttons to interact with, which is always wanted in my book. I am thinking that it will be like a Dreamcast controller and just be like a VMU taken to the next several levels.

I am definitely interested to see what Nintendo has up their sleeve, I can only assume it will have all sorts of badass connectivity for the 3DS.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

LeshLush
PostPosted: Apr 16 2011 02:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hope they don't try to push connectivity as the way forward. The only real Nintendo console/handheld connectivity experience I've ever had has been with Pokemon Stadium. I had a gamecube and a gameboy advance, but back in the day when they tried to make all of those games interconnected, I invariably would only own one of the two requisite games. Not that it would have mattered anyway, as I never shelled out for the link cable, and doubt I would have even if I'd owned a game on both sides of the console/handheld divide. It just seems like too much of an expenditure to get a console, a handheld, two games every time you want to play one, and whatever extra crap you have to buy to making the experience possible. Granted, what with wireless shit everywhere these days, connectivity might be automatic between 3DS and WiiDS, but you still find yourself required to have two consoles and two games just to play one game the way you're supposed to.
username
PostPosted: Apr 17 2011 06:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ha, i liked how someone capitalized Wii in the thread title.

at any rate, more news:
Quote:
New details have surfaced from yesterday's reports that Nintendo is set to unveil its newest console, codenamed "Project Cafe."

According to our sources, the new Nintendo controller will feature dual analog sticks in addition to standard d-pad and trigger buttons. It'll mirror a Gamecube controller in general function but not in specific form.

French website 01.net has published additional details (via Develop), that say the touch capable screen on the controller is 6 inches in size, but we were unable to confirm the accuracy of the report. Additional details about the console's hardware specs could also not be confirmed.

Players will actually be able to stream game content to the controller screen from the console. It's unclear at this time what type of content it will be, whether it's full games you can take with you on the go, mini-games or applications.

At E3 in June, our sources also said Nintendo will show first and third party titles at the event, but it's unsure if they'll be playable or only in video form.

Update: Sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console, saying it's like a miniature television. The screen size on the controller is also confirmed to be six inches in size.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/116/1162045p1.html

dual analog sticks makes sense. being able to stream stuff to the controller... i'll have to wait and see its application. i think the PSP & PS3 are supposed to be able to do that.

Klimbatize wrote:

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Apr 17 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not to bring up 2 day old debate but PS2 really excelled by the similar controller that gamers grew familiar with in the PSX era, as well as hitting all genres relatively hard, Xbox had the hardcore audience, but it couldn't hold a fucking blowtorch to PS2 and the RPG scene. That was the main selling point when PS2, GameCube and Xbox were all selling at the same time. If they liked Shooters I sent them the way of the Xbox, if they liked RPG they got a PS2, if they liked really weird games you would only find in Japan I set them up with a GameCube. Really though what was GameCubes real draw? Aside from the Zelda and Mario games obviously...

On a related note this new Wii could be ridiculous or amazing, and I'm standing right in the middle with hopes and pesimistic thoughts.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Apr 18 2011 04:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Eh I dunno... I love me some old school Nintendo, I've dropped a large chunk of disposable income collecting "pristine looking" NES and SNES carts ( IE no box or manual but flawless carts & labels) and I'm getting more fun out of those than I am with the Wii sitting next to the TV. Sure the new DK game was twenty steps past "aight" and we dig those Lego games as casual games but the rest doesn't wow me and mine... It feels like too little to late let's phone this shit in!

Mario Galaxy? Loved the idea, didn't really care either way for the actual game. it get's a 5.5 of meh, shit maybe I'm jaded when it comes to Mario or something...

Zelda Twilight Princess? Ok this was good. Formulaic but solid.

NSMBW? OOH PRETTY! OOH BORING! OHH SHITTY BOUNCE EVERYWHERE AND DIE MULTIPLAYER! (which I admit is more due to the limitations of the occasionally game playing tribes I frequently burn time with and not really a dig at the game's difficult except for when it totally is, long story short the game felt cheap and pretty, as apposed to ugly and great.)

The rest? Yeah I don't want to pay 50$ for that, I might grab it if it goes on sale or is used.

Kirby's Epic Yarn: OK I admit I want to play this, but I have a feeling it will be like every other Kirby game, and I don't want to pay 50$ for it...

New Goldeneye: Didn't we already enjoy the fuck out of this game on the 64? why are we re-texturing and re issuing it? Listen I like Goldeneyue just as much as anyone else... but why the fuck are we re-treading old ground here? Make fucking Silvertoe or something... at least try!

I love Nintendo, but I don't trust them to do anything different or out of the box. I expect them to retread the same old comfortable and safe ground they always have.

... Nintendo is like an unadventurous girlfriend who is solid in the sack when it comes to what she is a pro at but is completely oblivious when you try to shake things up a bit...

Don't come at me sideways with that motion control shit, it aint new, they've been trying that for years, they just recently started to make it work... (Power Glove VS Wiimote) A slime draws near!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 18 2011 06:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

NSMBW is a really good single player game. Good luck finding all those fucking coins.

GoldenEye is more or less a completely new game.

Stop being so cheap and/or poor. $50 is $10 less than you'd pay for a brand new PS3 or 360 game, and it's also less than games cost during the SNES era. As you've been told multiple times, you can get your games on Craigslist or eBay if it's such a big deal to you. Finding a new way to rephrase your complaint about how you don't want to pay $50 for video games every couple hours isn't productive. I don't have a magic fucking wand I can waive to make the prices suddenly drop, and I'm pretty sure no one else here does either. And honestly, between inflation and massively increased development costs, it's pretty fucking impressive that you're paying the same amount for a Wii game that you were paying for a NES cartridge back in 1989. Everything else has gone way up.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
taterfyrings
PostPosted: Apr 18 2011 09:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Not to bring up 2 day old debate but PS2 really excelled by the similar controller that gamers grew familiar with in the PSX era, as well as hitting all genres relatively hard, Xbox had the hardcore audience, but it couldn't hold a fucking blowtorch to PS2 and the RPG scene. That was the main selling point when PS2, GameCube and Xbox were all selling at the same time. If they liked Shooters I sent them the way of the Xbox, if they liked RPG they got a PS2, if they liked really weird games you would only find in Japan I set them up with a GameCube. Really though what was GameCubes real draw? Aside from the Zelda and Mario games obviously...

On a related note this new Wii could be ridiculous or amazing, and I'm standing right in the middle with hopes and pesimistic thoughts.

Well, I don't disagree at all with this. What I tried to argue is that a lot of the sales of the PS2 was also due to the fact that it was the console for casuals last generation with the games like Guitar Hero, Singstar and Buzz! (and the DVD-player). Ofcourse it was also a great hardcore console, but not all its sale went to hardcore gamers.

And to Blackout: This is a common misunderstanding, but Nintendo did not manufacture the Power Glove - it was made by Mattel.

Also, I think the Wii library is pretty dam fantastic for an old school gamer like myself. It definitely does not have the depth of something like the PS2-library or the NES-library, but there is still lots of really great games (I own about 30 and there is still a few I want to get), and the best of them are just fantastic imo. The Wii is also largely responsible for the retro-revival we have seen in the gaming industry the last few years, which is a huge plus in my book. Its the best Nintendo-console since the Snes, and by far my favorite of the current gen-consoles. Its also nice that its so different from thePS360, which makes the gaming landscape a more diverse and interesting one imo. However, I do regret that not all its potential have been fulfilled, and that third parties jumped ship to early.
username
PostPosted: Apr 18 2011 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

kirbys epic yarn is actually dropping in price quite quickly. check out best buy or amazon.com

Klimbatize wrote:

username
PostPosted: Apr 20 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:

taterfyrings
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 09:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure those are fake, even though they might end up to be pretty close to the truth.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that controller looks suspiciously like a PSP.
username
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Project Café may be the code name of Nintendo's next console but "Stream" is rumored to be one of the names in consideration for the final product.
New details being reported by IGN besides the possible name include its internal components -- it will carry a "revamped" AMD R700 GPU and a triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset with faster speeds than those of the Xbox 360's processor -- and its Xbox 360-like size. The system will resemble a modern-day Super Nintendo and, based on the estimated costs to produce it, could cost between $350 and $400. Of course, those prices could drop the longer Nintendo opts to wait to release the system. IGN also says the system will indeed have a touchscreen-equipped controller that can have games streamed to it from the console.

Kotaku has new details about the system's controller -- or controllers, as appears to be the case. It would seem that there will be two types of controllers available depending on the game. One will be a waggling, Wii remote-style controller that may or may not simply use the current technology from the Wii's remote. The other will be the controller with a camera and touchscreen that we've been hearing about; the screen will allegedly measure in at 6.2 inches and feature eight buttons and two analog sticks.

Games could use whichever of the two controllers is most appropriate. Alternatively, the idea has been suggested that both controllers could be used for the same game by different players. In other words, one player would use a traditional analog-stick-and-buttons controller while another shakes, points, and waggles a Wii remote-like controller.

A formal reveal of the system is still expected to take place at Nintendo's E3 press conference in June, at which point we'll be able to sort out just what's real and what's not.

http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-new-console-cost-have-two-distinct-controllers

even more rumors take place. now its called the Stream. sounds like an april fools joke. the wii. the stream. wii stream. piss.

Klimbatize wrote:

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Stream" these days is associated with constant data feeds over the internet. Perhaps this is a sign that Nintendo finally embraces internet connectivity for what people want.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

username
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
"Stream" these days is associated with constant data feeds over the internet. Perhaps this is a sign that Nintendo finally embraces internet connectivity for what people want.

i totally get what they mean by streaming, its just a bad choice of name since their current console is the Wii.

Klimbatize wrote:

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They knew what they were getting into when they called it that. People stopped making those jokes after six months and it still worked out well enough for them.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Streaming data is a stupid idea, except in regards to hot multiplayer action. I either want to download games or, ideally, own them on a physical medium. Streamed games are moronic.
awsgames
PostPosted: Apr 22 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

I heard somewhere that it's going to be called the U+I
taterfyrings
PostPosted: Apr 22 2011 01:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I want it to be called the Super Wii, that would be awesome. No need to ditch the name of their best-selling console of all time, and give it a nice super so people understand that it is something new.
username
PostPosted: Apr 22 2011 02:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Should you still be doubting that a new Nintendo console is on the way, Shigeru Miyamoto has essentially admitted that such a device is in the works and that it's only a matter of time before it's officially announced.
Speaking in London this week, Edge reports that Miyamoto was asked about the recent rumors. "Don't ask!" he responded. "Even when the Wii launched we were developing new hardware, work on 3DS had already started. It's a matter of when we announce it." E3 in June is said to be when the reveal will be coming, though when asked about that date, he answered, "Please wait. Be patient until we decide."

That doesn't confirm all of the rumors we've been hearing about 6-inch touchscreens, different controllers, and SNES-looking systems. It does however sound as if we'll be getting some official word on the new system before long.

Moving on to the subject of games themselves Miyamoto said more "remakes of games on 3DS" are a lock. One Zelda game -- Ocarina of Time -- is already being ported to 3DS in June, but the next title in the series Miyamoto would like to see revived is A Link to the Past. "I think A Link To The Past," he said when asked what game he'd like to see remade on 3DS. "Do you remember Xevious? It's two-layered and I really wanted to create that at the time. So to see Link To The Past in two layers would be quite attractive for me."

http://www.1up.com/news/wii-2-announcement-only-matter-time-miyamoto

nintendo is always doing R & D on new hardware & technology, so this doesnt really confirm anything, but just enough to whet your rumor appetite.

Klimbatize wrote:

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Apr 22 2011 09:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't care as long as I get my Skyward Sword. Hurry up, you lazy bastard company.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Reply to topic

Jump to: