"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Rock on RAW

Reply to topic
Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 28 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
I never noticed that he always refers to himself in the third person.

Shocked

I will say this, at least they FINALLY got the ball rolling with the Taker/Triple H feud, although too little too late for me.
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Mar 28 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I never paid attention to what anyone was saying when I was young. I'm just watching it right now for the nostalgia. That, and my grandmother is watching it too for some reason.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Mar 29 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow... I'm not sure how to interpret the end of RAW last night.

So Rock takes out Miz and A-Rod single handedly:
A. They wanted to show that the Rock still "has it".
B. They want to make Miz look like he completely sucks, and is a weak champion.
C. ???

I hope for A.

Then, Cena AAs the Rock:

A. They want to show that Cena is on the Rock's level.
B. They want to make both Miz and Cena heels in the match.
C. ????

I have no idea. This wouldn't be so bad if the Miz got any real offense in. It would have been better to do the finisher shuffle. ie. Rock, rock bottoms A-Rod, then walks into a mic check from Miz, who then walks into a AA from Cena. All three look strong and are on a equal level.

What they did was make Miz look like crap. Rock look strong, and Cena look stronger. This doesn't do anything for the match. This was their last chance to make any alterations to the match, and officially have the Rock involved in some way.

They have had The Rock feuding with Cena and Miz this whole time. But, as far as we know, The Rock is only the Host of Wrestlemania and has no official involvement in the WWE title match. He is not the Ref, he is not the Special enforcer (ala Mike Tyson/WM14), he isn't even the guest time keeper. (A position usually given to useless people like Models, Ricky Schroder, and Jerry Brisco.)

So, this is either shit planning, or a badly executed set up to the next phase.

Cena is "The Guy". Like it or not, he is the face of the company. He is this gen's Hogan or Austin. No matter if he has the title or not, he is the guy, and WWE will protect him and his position. So, I am thinking that is quite possible that Miz will retain the title at WM due to interference from The Rock. And, it is going to be the classic (Read: Overused) cliche of Cena owning Miz, then right before putting him away, he gets sneak attacked by The Rock, who then either drapes Miz over Cena, or Miz crawls over and lays an arm on Cena for the pin.

The title stays on The Miz awhile longer, helping to further establish him as a long term main eventer. Cena still looks like the strongest guy, and the one who should have won the match.

I then predict that The Rock will have a feud with Cena before leaving again. (As we already know that he going to be sticking around for a short time after WM, and he is scheduled to be on the next night's RAW.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 29 2011 06:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't mind the ending, in fact I kind of liked it. It almost gave the title match a neutral sort of feel, especially when Cena nor Miz got the momentum on one another, and instead that was placed on a 3rd party who wasn't in the match. Usually in situations before a PPV, the person who ends up losing usually has a lot of momentum going into the match, maybe it's a beat down or a short winning streak. It doesn't happen every time, but more times than not, it's the easiest way of booking.

By having Rock beat down Miz, and Cena beating down the Rock, it really doesn't give either one any sort of advantage. Miz SHOULD be booked as a weak champion, along the same lines of JBL who escapes by the skin of his teeth, but having the talk to back it up when facing the undercard, much like Ric Flair did back in the 80's. What Miz shouldn't be is booked as a badass, who can hold his own with anyone. Nothing against the guy personally, because I'm sure he's probably a legit nice guy, but let's be honest;

1. Above mediocre in the ring, he isn't bad, but he doesn't do anything that stands out. His finisher doesn't fit and is one of the most retarded sounding finishers I've ever heard. Again, he isn't bad, just nothing stands out.

2. Mediocre on the mic. Think serious Jericho mixed with small traces of Cena. The guy falls back on the same shit in every single promo that does not get me emotionally involved or pissed off at him. The reason why Jericho worked is because he knows how to work the crowd, Miz comes off like he just took a sedative and is going to begin snoring, or cause me to. He follows this up with "really" or "awesome", which usually gets a moderate pop, the same way Vickie Guererro's "excuse me" does, so exploit it for all you can Miz, because it's all you have.

3. Mediocre look. Now I'm not one to judge a guy based on look, but when you're marketed as the WWE's top guy, you better fit the bill as far as look goes. As much crap as I gave Cena for looking generic, he's somewhat marketed that as his gimmick and it seems to work. So as far as ring attire, Miz looks generic, when it comes to looks, he looks generic. They should honestly try to play up his pretty boy look or something along those lines, because when you're the image of a champion, you should look it. Stone Cold looked like a badass redneck, Hogan looked like a blue collar steel worker or something, Sid looked like an evil criminal...and Miz looks like a little boy or something. I mean try to play up your image to fit your gimmick, don't act like a fucking badass, when you don't look like a fucking badass.

So when it comes down to it, Miz just comes off as so mediocre to me. Everything about the guy makes me feel like I broke out the Vicodin. If anyone can point out anything about the guy that is remotely interesting and different from anyone else on the roster, feel free to explain, because at this point I consider him the most boring champion to watch since Rey Mysterio's first WHC reign.

Miz is essentially my argument for guys like Christian, Ziggler and Morrison as champions, simply because they're so above Miz's mediocreness, even if they aren't as well rounded, but they do have their strong points to make up for it. Christian doesn't have the look, but he's pretty damn good in the ring, can get over on the mic when it calls for it. Morrison might suck on the mic, but his strong points are his image and his in ring ability, which allows him to stay over without the presence of a mic. Even so, if they allowed him to use his Palace of Wisdom gimmick the way the Rock retained his cocky heel attitude but used it in a face manner, he could easily be their top prospect. Ziggler has been champion for all over 7 minutes, which in my book doesn't count. He's easily more well rounded on every level than Miz is and for whatever reason they felt that putting Vickie on him would help. So there's 3 high talents going to waste in favor of a guy who WWE thinks is getting them more publicity because he was on an MTV reality show 10 years ago.
PerfectDark007
Title: Mr. Perfect
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 01:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hope that Rock costs Miz the title, as much as I don't want to see another Cena title reign, but to set up a Rock vs. Cena WWE title match at Summerslam! That would be an awesome match! But, it would hurt Miz cause he would probably lose a few more title rematches, and drop down to the upper mid card if Cena vs. Rock for the title were to happen. I don't know, but I am actually interested in a Cena title match at Wrestlemania for once lol Wrestlemania is going to be awesome!
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 02:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cena vs Rock is a great idea for a feud. It is a terrible idea for a title match. This will be Cena's first title match in 9 months, and I think most of us would agree that the last 3/4 year nas been some of his better work.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 06:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dodds, everyone in the WWE is pretty generic looking. They don't really do gimmicks anymore, except Undertaker.

By today's standards, CM Punk is pretty damn generic looking. Walk into any bar, there's five guys who look just like him.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 08:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah these days I think it's more the ring and mic work that make the characters less than the gimmicks.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, if RAW is going to be PG, it ought to be more campy.

Bring back the Boogeyman and Pirate Burchill.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well they can't just do a couple characters it doesn't blend. Though yes, boogs and burchill were awesome.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 04:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I believe they're slowly doing away with the PG, and possibly going back to TV 14 seeing as their edgier stuff recently has caused the ratings to increase.

You can say that everyone in the WWE is generic looking, and to an extent, it's true. Most main eventers wearing short black trunks and short hair, all that. Even so, Miz stands out even more because he has nothing to back up his lack of gimmick. CM Punk really should've kept the Charles Manson look, but at this point it doesn't matter because his mic ability makes up for it. That's my point, Miz truly only beats out Ted Jr. for the most genericness.
PerfectDark007
Title: Mr. Perfect
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 01:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Ted Dibiase Jr. is pretty much the most generic looking guy in the WWE. Its kind of funny looking back at Legacy, everyone thought that Ted Dibiase was going to be the standout, and the next Orton, but Cody Rhodes is actually making somewhat of a name for himself on Smackdown, and is doing some pretty good mic work! I think if he and Mysterio get more than 10 minutes that could be a really good match!
Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 04:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I knew Cody Rhodes was the standout as soon as Legacy disbanded. It doesn't help when your leader acts like the Terminator and your partner sounds like a country hick. Cody modeled himself after something completely different than his father and brother, and obviously busted his ass on the mic to get over with the "Dashing" gimmick. Now he's another guy you can say looks generic, but has taken the necessary steps to become more self recognizable. Not to mention, he's already moved onto other shades of his dashing gimmick, to provide him more room of who to feud with in the long run. I would gladly love to see him in an upper mid-card/title match situation. What has Ted done?

"Derrrr!! I'm Ted Dibiase, I don't have any of the charisma my father did, nor am I interesting in the slightest. WWE really fucked up by hiring me instead of my brother Mike, who is superior in every possible way, but oh well...I'll milk it for as long as I can. Better yet, I'll use my dad's gimmick and STILL not get over! Put Maryse on my arm, that'll piss people off. Wait a minute, I'm still getting no reaction? Hmmm...what am I doing wrong?"

The guy seriously needs to go to Japan and learn his craft and come back at a later time, if he sticks around in WWE for very much longer, he's going to lose any form of legitimacy to his name and they'll never want him back once he is a true jobber. Go to Japan, learn a bit about ring psychology as well as getting your lame ass over and maybe WWE will hire you back, it did well for Chris Masters, despite being underutilized. Ted is so vanilla, it's absurd. Having a moderately cool looking finisher doesn't make up for complete lack of anything else.
JRA
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 01:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I so wish I could go to the HOF ceremony so I could start a "Rocky/Michaels" chant during HBK's acceptance speech.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 04:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did anyone else feel bad when Rock botched his nip up?

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Doddsino
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 05:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You mean his kip up? It was so minor and he recovered so well from it, it wasn't that bad. I doubt most people would recognize it that much, but I'll give him a pass since he hasn't wrestled in 7 years. It wasn't nearly as funny as RTruth not being able to skin the cat.
Reply to topic

Jump to: