AFC:

1. New York Jets, 9-2 (bye)

2. Baltimore Ravens, 8-3 (bye)

3. Kansas City, 7-4 (Hosts 6 seed)

4. Jax Jaguars, 6-5 (Hosts 5 seed)

5. New England Patriots, 9-2

6. Pittsburgh Steelers, 8-3

In the mix: AFC: Colts, Chargers both at 6-5

The Colts are tied with the Jags for the Division but are below them due to tie breakers. Many expect the Colts to come away with the division, I tend to agree despite some poor efforts on their part.

Philip Rivers and the Chargers are 19-0 in December. The Chiefs will need to have a great month with some faltering by the Chargers for them not to catch them. I still think this division is up in the air. The winner of their upcoming match up will probably take home the division while the other misses the playoffs.

The Ravens and Steelers clash Sunday Night which may determine the difference between the division or the 6th seed.

The Jets and Patriots are also tied for the division lead. They play on Monday Night Football this week. This game will also most likely determine the division winner and the difference between the #1 seed (2 home games to reach the super bowl) and the 5th seed (most likely 3 road games to reach the super bowl).

NFC:

1. Atlanta Falcons, 9-2

2. Chicago Bears, 8-3

3. Philly Eagles, 7-4

4. St. Louis Rams, 5-6

5. New Orleans Saints, 8-3

6. New York Giants, 7-4

In the mix: Bucs, Packers both at 7-4

I always feel like the Packers are talked up so much that they must be in good shape, but here they sit 11 games in outside of the playoffs. I still think they will make it. They are a strong team and haven't lost by more than 3 points.

The Falcons seem to have control of the Conference with a fairly easy schedule.

The Eagles and Giants could easily flip flop down the road.

I can see the Bears missing the playoffs entirely with games against the Pats, Jets and Packers. They have a great defense, but their offense seems suspect to me.

The Bucs I would count out, they have not won a single game against a team with a winning record. They are the best bad team but not real contender for the playoffs. If they do sneak in, I wouldn't expect anything from them.

And finally, we have the Rams. 5-6. Leading their division. Things like this bother me to no end. A below .500 team is currently in the playoffs while two 7-4 teams in their conference are on the outside. I would like nothing more than the NFL to seed the playoffs with disregard to Division Champs. I don't see how a team should be rewarded post season play (with a home game) for being below average. I really hope the West Champ ends up at 7-9, that way maybe this topic could flare up a bit.

Many things can still change and even some teams not mentioned have an outside shot to jump into contention. I feel like for the first time I can remember, every single division is up in the air. Should be a good finish to the season.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 04:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Great breakdown.

As a Chiefs fan, I'm obviously concerned with the Chargers and their annual late season hot streak. Still, I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the wild card spots comes from the AFC West. Both the Chargers and Chiefs have easy schedules remaining, and I think both could very easily finish with 10 wins, or more. Another team would have to falter a little (Ravens or Steelers), but it's possible.

Yeah, the NFC West is laughably bad. 7-9 will win that division. I was leaning towards the Niners making a comeback until Gore was lost for the season last night. Now I think the Rams will win that mess.

Falcons have solidified themselves as the best team in the NFC. I'm probably surprised most with the Bears this year. I thought they'd be a .500 team. Don't count out the Super Bowl Champs though--the Saints haven't been as good as last year, but they can beat anyone still.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 06:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Houston still has a shot, a lonnnnnnng shot but they really can't afford to lose another game. I see both Jax and Indy losing again. Also I've been arguing with friends the past 4 years about the whole 7-9 8-8 playoff teams. It should be broken down into AFC and NFC with the top two in each getting byes. Then you go down the line. Losing out to the 8-8 Jets last year really put a sour taste in my mouth considering Houston was 9-7 and the Bengals in all essence let them win to make it to the playoffs.

Doesn't the NBA have divisions but still use the top 8 teams? That's what the NFL should do to maintain the Division Riviarly while making the selection of playoff teams more credible. I would also like to see a 5-9-2 team make it to the Playoffs. yes that is 5 wins 9 loses and two ties. Thats the worst record an NFC West team can have this year and make it to the playoffs.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 07:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Doesn't the NBA have divisions but still use the top 8 teams?

The NBA (and I believe the NHL too, I believe) does this. However, division champs always get in regardless of record (though in the NBA I don't think they're guaranteed the top 3 seeds).

I don't really like the fact that 60% of the teams get into the playoffs, though.
Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Nov 30 2010 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For the NBA, the division champs are awarded at least a top four seed. However, it is possible for a division champ in the fourth seed to go on the road to face a fifth seed.

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, with the NBA/NHL, they field 8 from each conference, so the Division champs have never been worse than more deserving teams due to the deep playoff fields.

In the NBA, the 3 Division Champs and the next best team are all seeded by record, so yes, a division Champ could be seeded 4, but by no means would the 5 seed host more games in a series.

Just like how baseball is about to expand the Wild Card and the NFL is going to expand to 18 games, too much isn't better, but it is more profitable. But 16 teams making the playoffs like the NHL/NBA does seem way to high. Playoff teams should be the best teams, this allows for teams with average to even below average records to play in the post season. Meh.

Houston, Houston, Houston...they are the "team to break out" at the beginning of every season. And I damn near fell for it after the Indy beat down to open the season. They have a shot, but as you said will have to run the table.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 01:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just going to pout until next season.

No but srsly, there is something to be said for being a record-spoiler, even if you don't have a prayer of making the playoffs. Gonna be a fun postseason to watch.

I'm trying to decide, based on your breakdown, who my pick is for the Super Bowl. For some reason my gut is going towards Eagles vs. Rams. I actually hope I'm wrong, because the day I see the fucking Eagles as NFC Champs is the day I hang myself in the closet with a belt, but I dunno. A large part of it hinges on Vick I think, and whether he actually performs, or goes nuts.

Also: where the heck did the Falcons come from? I knew they were gonna be competitive, but there was no way I would have picked them as leading the AFC.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

You got your conferences all screwy Hawk. The Eagles, Rams and Falcons are all in the NFC!

But, the Eagles for sure can make it happen if they get their secondary patched up in time. When Vick is on his game, he is tough to stop so far this year.
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Take away the hail mary and the last second field goals in another 2 games and the texans are 8-3 instead of 5-6. They are seriously a db away from the playoffs, last year it was the kicker.

Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Dec 01 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Colts are better than their record shows too. Look at the Patriots and Jaguars games, just off the top of my head. I will admit that their run game is worse than their record shows. And how about them Rams? One loss was against Detroit, one against the Falcons, and the other four were lost by a combined total of 10 points. I'm looking forward to see how they fare in the postseason. Lets not forget the Cardinals 2 years ago.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Dec 02 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd actually really like to see St. Louis do well this year and win a playoff game. That will show teams like Detroit and the Bills that they have no excuse for sucking dick all these years. The bills should be a lot better though they just can't finish, oh yea and God hates them.

Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 02 2010 01:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Rams seem like the winners of last years QB Class. I think after seeing what Bradford can do, they will put serious consideration into getting him some strong support. The Rams have also won a few games by only a few points, so it swings both ways AND they get to play the niners, hawks and cards twice each.

Detroit can at least blame Matt Millen for confusing the NFL Draft with his Fantasy Draft.
Buffalo....fuck if i know.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Dec 02 2010 01:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
You got your conferences all screwy Hawk. The Eagles, Rams and Falcons are all in the NFC!

But, the Eagles for sure can make it happen if they get their secondary patched up in time. When Vick is on his game, he is tough to stop so far this year.

Sorry. Been a bad week. Thanks for setting me straight.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 03 2010 01:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry Douche, I think the Texans are toast.

Couldn't watch the game due to the NFL Network not being on my cable package. Fuck you NFL.
Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 07 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Update:

AFC:

1. New England Patriots, 10-2

2. Pittsburgh Steelers, 9-3

3. Kansas City Chiefs, 8-4

4. Jacksonville Jaguars, 7-5

5. New York Jets, 9-3

6. Baltimore Ravens, 8-4

In the mix: Indy, San Diego, Oakland (Oakland???)

The Pats put themselves in great shape for the one seed as they have the tie breaker over the Steelers, Ravens and Jets (barring adivisional loss by Pats)

The Steelers have position over the Ravens, they could flip flop, thought I like the Steelers to hold on.

The Chiefs are maintaining position as the 3 seed. Oakland is their biggest threat, considering Division Records. This could very well be a last game battle for the division as they face off to end the year, and tie breakers would go to the Raiders.

The Jags are holding on, but still have a game at Indy, and tie breakers go Indy's way if they win out. They square off in two weeks, probably for the Division.

The Jets and Ravens would need a lot of help but could grab their divisions still and flip flop with the Pats/Steelers.

No other team is closer than two games back in the wild card.

NFC:

1. Atlanta, 10-2

2. Chicago, 9-3

3. Philadelphia Eagles, 8-4

4. St. Louis Rams, 6-6

5. New Orleans Saints, 9-3

6. NY Giants, 8-4

In the mix: Seattle for Division, Green Bay for Wild Card/Division

Atlanta has pole position with an easy schedule other than the Saints. But if the Saints keep pace, tie breakers would go deep, as Division/Conference/HeadtoHead would be tied.

Chicago is in good shape and can afford to lose next week against the Pats as they are a non-conference team. But the Packers are right on their tails in a similar situation as the Saints/Falcons.

Philly and the Rams are holding their spots, but the Giants/Seahawks are tied, these divisions can go either way.

The Saints are in good shape for a birth, see above for division info.

The Giants are in on tie breakers, but must keep pace just for the 6th seed with the Packers tied with them.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Dec 07 2010 01:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oakland? Really? Lies.
uncle joe
PostPosted: Dec 12 2010 08:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

this was houston year. colts injuries, titans qb meltdown, all world offense? damn shame

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Dec 12 2010 01:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was the 49ers' year too but they self destructed as well when they should have easily destroyed this division. Remember, this is a team that would have beaten Atlanta if not for Nate Clements fumbling his interception like a dumbass, and lost to Carolina because some idiot wanted to start David Carr at QB. But if the Niners are anything, it's laughably inconsistent and undisciplined which is why they're losing so much. I still hold out a slim hope they can finish 8-8 and have a shot at the playoffs, but that really wouldn't be very exciting anyway.

By the way, if you eliminate division champs, then there's no point in having divisions at all. Also, one wacky anomalous season isn't any reason to completely change the playoff rules. The 49ers really should have taken that division at least 11-5 this season but they're so retarded, it went all topsy-turvy.
Izzy
Title: Mascot Gold
PostPosted: Dec 12 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Steelers need to beat the Browns and win another of their last two games to take the division crown. With that comes the first round bye. Not bad for a team that started without its QB and is now playing with an oline made up of truck drivers. The defense will carry this team as far as it can, but the offense will need to step it up if it has a chance against the Pats.

That being said, I am getting pissed the hell off at the refereeing of the Steelers games the last month.
Namely the no-calls on the hits on Ben. I think the rules and fines are effing stupid but if they are going to be called, call them EVERY time. Not just when Peyton or Brady feel the breeze from a defensive end.

The Jets falling apart is making me laugh. I hope they don't wake up next week.

Izzy
PostPosted: Dec 12 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And as of today, San Diego is KC's biggest threat.

I can't believe the Chiefs are screwing the pooch right now. But the Chargers have the best to chance to beat New England, IMO. I'd still prefer the Ravens to beat them up a little, win or lose, the week before if Pittsburgh plays them in the AFCCG.

Izzy
PostPosted: Dec 12 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
I'm just going to pout until next season.

No but srsly, there is something to be said for being a record-spoiler, even if you don't have a prayer of making the playoffs. Gonna be a fun postseason to watch.

I'm trying to decide, based on your breakdown, who my pick is for the Super Bowl. For some reason my gut is going towards Eagles vs. Rams. I actually hope I'm wrong, because the day I see the fucking Eagles as NFC Champs is the day I hang myself in the closet with a belt, but I dunno. A large part of it hinges on Vick I think, and whether he actually performs, or goes nuts.

Also: where the heck did the Falcons come from? I knew they were gonna be competitive, but there was no way I would have picked them as leading the AFC.

I don't want you to kill yourself or anything... but:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=250123021

See? You can live through it!

Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 14 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Update:

AFC:

1. New England Patriots, 11-2

2. Pittsburgh Steelers, 10-3

3. Kansas City Chiefs, 8-5

4. Jacksonville Jaguars, 8-5

5. Baltimore Ravens, 9-4

6. New York Jets, 9-4

In the mix: Indy & San Diego for their divisions. Both are 7-6, one game back.

New England & Pittsburgh are pretty much locked into their spots.

Baltimore & NY are pretty locked in, but could flip flop. Some other teams are possible wildcards, but with three to go, and two games back, I'm not including them at this time.

Poor Chiefs, still have control, but pretty much had to give away their biggest game of the season due to Cassel's injury. San Diego would win on tie breakers at this point.

Jags and Colts square off next week, Jags win and the division is theirs, Colts win and they have control.

NFC:

1. Atlanta Falcons, 11-2

2. Chicago Bears, 9-4

3. Philly Eagles, 9-4

4. St. Louis Rams, 6-7

5. New Orleans Saints, 10-3

6. NY Giants, 9-4

In the Mix: Tampa bay (8-5) for Wild Card, GB (8-5) for WC/Division, Seattle (6-7) & San Fran (5-Cool for Division...yes, 5-8 with Division Crown hopes.

Atlanta is humming along and controls the top seed, New Orleans could flip with them, they play once more. Both are pretty much locks for postseason though.

Chicago is clinging to the second seed, they could flip, with the eagles, giants or miss playoffs entirely.

St. Louis is fending off Seattle and San Fran for the (cough, cough) Division Title.

NY Giants hold the last spot, but still need to work for their birth while at the same time could end up the two seed.

Poor Green Bay, like the Chiefs, suffered due to a QB injury, they still have hope, but need Rodgers back stat.

Just for kicks: The Arizona Cardinals are 4-9 and are not mathematically eliminated from the Division race for the West.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Dec 14 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What's the worst record an NFL team has ever taken into the playoffs? 7-9?
Rydog
PostPosted: Dec 14 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just on memory, the Chargers with an 8-8 division win a few years back. This has also happened a few other times, but never 7-9.
Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Dec 14 2010 08:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

4-5 if I remember right. Bengals or Browns in a strike shortened season? '84 maybe?

Edit: Lions and Browns in '82. Also a fun fact. A team COULD make the playoffs if everyone in the division went 3-13.

Reply to topic

Jump to: