PostPosted: Nov 08 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

"Throughout his life the same
He's battled constantly
This fight he cannot win
A tired man they see no longer cares
The old man then prepares
To die regretfully
That old man here is me"

Love him or hate him, James hetfield does a hell of a job summing my life up in a single verse. While sleeping on my friend's couch, distanced from everything that would entertain me on my days apart from the monotony of a dead end retail job, I've only had castlevania and megaman to keep my wandering mind occupied. Well, those and the dark avengers comics that I've been reading, but nothing good ever comes from letting Norman Osborne occupy your thoughts. Just ask his son Harry about that.

Recently I've picked up the megaman zero collection for my nintendo ds. Great gameplay and all, but somebody with as much free time as I have nowadays can't help but take what's supposed to be a fun little action-platformer and tear it's afterthought of a plotline apart. What else am I going to do on my days off, have a social life? 

None of what you are about to read will make any sense if you aren't a Megaman nerd. It's also very long. Very, very long. It's not very organized, either.

As soon as our hero Zero wakes up he immediately becomes Ciel's lap dog. Like, instantaneously. Literally, the moment he comes back from death, some random person that he's never met asks him to kill a room full of people, an he's like "aight, word." 

Ciel asks Zero to jump, and he says "How High, How Fast, and How Hard do you want me to come down?" He just protects the Resistance because they woke him up. Hell, with that kind of attitude he was lucky Copy X didn't walk in his chamber, wake him up, and tell him to eliminate the resistance in the sake of friendship. 

The entire opening of the game is ridiculous until the player is informed that Ciel is saving the robots with an alternative energy source. Zero was unaware of this until after he gets his cup of Folger's and agrees to commit robo genocide.

It doesn't even end there. Our protagonist decides that after destroying the leader of the leading Human Colony (who were living peacefully by the way besides the energy crisis) He should ditch Ciel and leave, because he's not sure that fighting "means anything." 

Well hot damn Zero! Does everyone have epiphanies like that after brutally murdering Countless soldiers, tearing apart four public figureheads (TWICE) and then slamming their commander silly? 

So after three or four boxes of in game text, our genius decides to leave the resistance, the same people who are trying to save his entire race from extinction.

We're cool through, because Zero doesn't wanna go back, but he ends up being Forced Back by Harpuia. Okay. That's cool. Time to run away again. Time to go back to his journey of finding himself, right? 

Nope. Time to walk into the new resistance base,  Beat the crap out of 4 Reploids in the name of Elpizio, a Reploid trying to destroy the human colony (who not only created you, but have a stronghold on the energy you need to survive), and then save his ass when he runs into said colony with a half baked plan. A plan that you stated was a bad idea countless times, but went along with anyway. Good job, Zero!  

Yet the stupidity is just getting started! After his plans backfire, Elpizio runs off, and instead of just returning to base, smoking a doobie, and letting the guardians take care of him, we go and kick their asses for almost no reason. This allows Elpizio the time that he needs to steal him some dangerous Cyber Elves,  a Beacon that hides him from radar, and coordinates into the inner workings of Neo Arcadia. 

Good Job Zero. What does he Win Johnny? A Trip to Central Neo Arcadia so he can murder his former commander, let his old friend die in front of him, and watch all of his work be in vain. Beautiful. 

So of course our hero gets the brutal beating he deserves, but alas, by fufilling the fetishes of the 3 remaining Guardians and saving Elipzo's hide, we got the treat of having to deal with Doctor Weil attempting to have his revenge on humans (Seeing a pattern. People hate humans).

Doc Weil accomplishes this by "accidentally" Dropping a missile on a residential district, and completing a living weapon with the ability to control all robots. Why? Because we couldn't leave Pretty Boy in #2 alone. In actuality, Zero could have sat back and let the guardians take care of everything. 

But wait, what's this. Copy X? For the second damn time? You would think him a commodity. Is this how the future is going to be run? Reviving world leaders to fool the humans into inadvertently killing themeselves. 

Disregarding the fact that the guy is so fucked up that he can't form complete sentences without acting like Michael J. Fox, you would think that at least these guys would have picked up on X's liability when he can be revived not only by a 6 year old girl, but a hell bent 80+ old man who wants revenge.

That's like saying "Hey George Washington. You're weak, Can be killed easily, Can be Manipulated Easily, and have a bad temper, but alot of people know you, and we need you to be accountable for nearly every human alive" 

Yet further icing on the cake is the fact that After Zero puts X and the 8 judges (Who sent the our villain of the week into space in the first place.) in check, nobody notices that Weil just kinda bounced in a law that says "I'm ruler if X dies". Oookay. Isn't there a system of checks and balances in place or something?

How does the guy who nearly mass murdered an entire race and then some even get close enough to the government to drop in a law like this. If i was responsible for LAUNCHING A GENOCIDAL MANIAC INTO SPACE, you can bet your ass that I wouldn't be ANYWHERE near him when he returned to Earth with an invincible killer robot in tow. I am almost CONVINCED That Weil and the 4chan Trollface are one and the same.

Wrinkle lines and all. 

Usually in the real world people try to find ways around the rules so they can fix them. But these Resistance guys take lazy to another level. To save Reploidkind (Again) Zero decides to kick in Neo Arcadia's front door (Again), and beat his former self. Fuck yes, pothole time. Turns out Zero somehow lost his original body while he was dead and was put inside a fake one. Now he's gotta fight his real body. I don't know how, because if a clone of me came with a Pink Sword that looked like it belonged in a Rave Apparel's store and started screaming at me in Japanese while shooting multiple shots of his gun, and swinging his sword like it was Super Glued to his hand while he's having a Seizure; I'd be dead. 

And then, we have peace. A lot of it.

Times like this make me wonder why Megaman Zero four wasn't really Megaman Zero... Zero. I wonder this because I would think, that from a storytelling perspective, if there was a time of peace as long as there was between MMZ3 and MMZ4, something must have been wrong A LONG TIME AGO. Possibly in a galaxy far away, as opposed to "well. I guess its time to finally be evil again. Somebody fetch my robot army." 

Instead we get a game that has almost no connection to the plot of the prior games, leaves all of the loose ends of the trilogy dangling, doesn't even mention a decent portion of characters that we've grown to know, and lays it on thick with a brand new quest that shares nothing with the history of the MMZ series, but tosses nods to the MMX series, in hopes of somehow establishing an epilogue for their shared protaonist. Welcome to plothole city, my friends. The gap is so wide, Capcom could release a MMZ3 1/2 that takes place in between 3 and 4, and have it make sense.

In Megaman Zero four, our Hero has to dispatch another eight unimportant robots, and deal with a bunch of racist humans, all while feuding with an old man. All of this takes place on Ragnarok, a space colony that crashed into the earth in a game from a different series. Quite a few years ago. Joy. 

Seriously, if you wanted to find a way to bridge the gap between the X series and the Z series, why let three more X games, a spinoff RPG, and three Z games happen in between?

Instead of doing the future thing and pulling an X5 by shooting a laser at Ragnorok or running another space ship into it, we decide to teleport into a falling meteor (we knew about beforehand) and proceed to kill a human. 

Let's rewind. At the beginning of Z3 we have an alternative energy source. The thing that was causing the entire conflict of the series to begin with. Complete. Done. Over. Instead of busting down into Neo Arcadia to kick X's Ass, couldn't we sit with him over some tea and talk about some business plans. Or Maybe present it to the humans and show we have a peaceful alternative?

Nope. We're a moronic heroic protagonist. We gotta kill the bad guys. Fuck diplomacy, this is an action game! Zero HAD to kill X, Anger humans, and then let them be pissed off at the reploids for their own damn faulty government. 

GREAT. Much less by the fact that it took killing Weil (instead of using the time between 2 and 3 wisely) to get the humans with the reploids. Hell, if they just wanted Zero, he could have sacrificed himself earlier to the guardians so they could chill out and let the energy flow in. 

On that thought, the guardians who are responsible for keeping the human race alive aren't much better. Elpizo WTFpwns Harpuia at the end of the second game with only the power of the two Baby Elves. Not only that, but he apparently manipulates them into fighting Zero anyway, because otherwise the Guardians are complete idiots who prioritized fighting a rival over a national emergency.

Then, in Z3, the Guardians essentially spend the game getting kicked around and disappear from continuity at the end. Well, except for Phantom, but he was already dead. They aren't even cool enough to be so much as MENTIONED in MMZ4. Not a single text box. We get to listen to an old man drone on about bread and stuff once in every game, but we can't have resolution for a supposed important character? 

In fact, the only character that gets any real conclusion to their tale is Zero, and that's only because he's dead. Again. After a bunch of stuff happened that he only made worse. So I guess the main question is, What was he fighting for?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 12 2010 09:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't played Mega Man Zero... but now I feel like I should. This plot sounds bizarre.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 12 2010 02:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome article Jew, where does ZX stand with the rest of the "continuity?" Like Syd, I too have not played the games but wish to now.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 12 2010 06:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly I haven't played enough if zx to include it. I didn't enjoy them enough to finish them.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 13 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Great read, man. I really tried to get into Battle Network but I just..can't...do it. I guess I'm a traditionalist and it's definitely a fault. Other than 1-8, Mega Man and Bass and X, I haven't completed any other Mega Man games.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 14 2010 02:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well the Z series is pretty much just a natural continuation of the X series.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Nov 14 2010 02:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

The DS compilation is pretty good. The Easy Scenario is pretty much a New Game+ with all of the non-plot upgrades available at the start, but if you're stupid like me, they don't help much if you've never played any of the games before.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: Nov 17 2010 02:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I'm gonna address this piecemeal. I also haven't played Z1 for any length nor have I explored the extra source material, so I'm staying out of that one.

FNJ wrote:
We're cool through, because Zero doesn't wanna go back, but he ends up being Forced Back by Harpuia. Okay. That's cool. Time to run away again. Time to go back to his journey of finding himself, right? 

Nope. Time to walk into the new resistance base,  Beat the crap out of 4 Reploids in the name of Elpizio, a Reploid trying to destroy the human colony (who not only created you, but have a stronghold on the energy you need to survive), and then save his ass when he runs into said colony with a half baked plan. A plan that you stated was a bad idea countless times, but went along with anyway. Good job, Zero!  

The reasons you killed those four robots were completely understandable. One attacked you during a search-and-rescue, one was guarding a computer system that you needed to disable, one was guarding a weapons production facility that you needed to take out, and one was transporting weapons to your enemies.

FNJ wrote:
Yet the stupidity is just getting started! After his plans backfire, Elpizio runs off, and instead of just returning to base, smoking a doobie, and letting the guardians take care of him, we go and kick their asses for almost no reason. This allows Elpizio the time that he needs to steal him some dangerous Cyber Elves,  a Beacon that hides him from radar, and coordinates into the inner workings of Neo Arcadia.

Those entire missions are a search for Elipis, because hold up -- you don't know where he is. The shitennou members attacked YOU while you were trying to find Elipis and stop his crazy scheme.

FNJ wrote:
Good Job Zero. What does he Win Johnny? A Trip to Central Neo Arcadia so he can murder his former commander, let his old friend die in front of him, and watch all of his work be in vain. Beautiful. 

So of course our hero gets the brutal beating he deserves, but alas, by fufilling the fetishes of the 3 remaining Guardians and saving Elipzo's hide, we got the treat of having to deal with Doctor Weil attempting to have his revenge on humans (Seeing a pattern. People hate humans).

I'm not sure you're sure what happened in the ending of Z2, based on this. Elipis was insane. He destroyed X's body to free the Dark Elf. Then Zero killed him. X's spirit stuck around in the form of a Cyber Elf. Elipies dies and becomes a cyber-elf himself (and gets a cameo in Z3.)

Dr. Vile chooses this time to return to Earth because he senses that the Dark Elf has been freed.

FNJ wrote:
Doc Weil accomplishes this by "accidentally" Dropping a missile on a residential district, and completing a living weapon with the ability to control all robots. Why? Because we couldn't leave Pretty Boy in #2 alone. In actuality, Zero could have sat back and let the guardians take care of everything. 

But wait, what's this. Copy X? For the second damn time? You would think him a commodity. Is this how the future is going to be run? Reviving world leaders to fool the humans into inadvertently killing themeselves. 

Dr. Vile is a genius roboticist and revived Copy X, who is technically in charge of Neo Arcadia, to use as a political puppet. This is also why you fight some Z1 bosses in Z3, Vile is going about reviving old enemies. Remember, Copy X Mk. II showed up BEFORE the missile drop. He used the missile because it allowed him to get the Dark Elf. Remember also that he blamed Mk. II's death on Zero (which isn't true, Vile planted a bomb in Mk. 2's body) and then said that the Resistance had "murdered" Copy X. It's all a political strategy to win himself favor and make the Resistance look bad while allowing him to move closer to obtaining the Dark Elf, which he wants to fuse with Omega in order to make him complete.

FNJ wrote:
Disregarding the fact that the guy is so fucked up that he can't form complete sentences without acting like Michael J. Fox, you would think that at least these guys would have picked up on X's liability when he can be revived not only by a 6 year old girl, but a hell bent 80+ old man who wants revenge.

That's a translation issue. In the Japanese version, Copy X Mk.II placed the emphasis on strange syllables when speaking to show that he wasn't a perfect copy. This obviously doesn't translate to English, so they gave him a stutter again. I have no idea what you're talking about with the six-year-old-girl and I've played these games probably five times each.

FNJ wrote:
That's like saying "Hey George Washington. You're weak, Can be killed easily, Can be Manipulated Easily, and have a bad temper, but alot of people know you, and we need you to be accountable for nearly every human alive" 

Yet further icing on the cake is the fact that After Zero puts X and the 8 judges (Who sent the our villain of the week into space in the first place.) in check, nobody notices that Weil just kinda bounced in a law that says "I'm ruler if X dies". Oookay. Isn't there a system of checks and balances in place or something?

No. Neo Arcadia is a fascist dictatorship, and that's part of the problem. The Hachishinkan were reprogrammed by Vile upon his return to Earth, which is why they're working with him now. Again, he's a genius roboticist, and the Hachishinkan answer to X, which is how he was able to gain access to them.

[quote=FNJ]How does the guy who nearly mass murdered an entire race and then some even get close enough to the government to drop in a law like this. If i was responsible for LAUNCHING A GENOCIDAL MANIAC INTO SPACE, you can bet your ass that I wouldn't be ANYWHERE near him when he returned to Earth with an invincible killer robot in tow. [/quote]

Because in Neo Arcadia, X's word is law. Copy X is, for governmental purposes, X. The opening level of Z3 had Harpuia trying to arrest Vile and Copy X Mk.II giving him a full political pardon. Harpuia protests, but he /can't do anything about it/ which is why the shitennou eventually throw their lot in with the resistance (and get killed at the end of Z3 for it)

[quote=FNJ]Usually in the real world people try to find ways around the rules so they can fix them. But these Resistance guys take lazy to another level. To save Reploidkind (Again) Zero decides to kick in Neo Arcadia's front door (Again), and beat his former self. Fuck yes, pothole time. Turns out Zero somehow lost his original body while he was dead and was put inside a fake one. Now he's gotta fight his real body. I don't know how, because if a clone of me came with a Pink Sword that looked like it belonged in a Rave Apparel's store and started screaming at me in Japanese while shooting multiple shots of his gun, and swinging his sword like it was Super Glued to his hand while he's having a Seizure; I'd be dead. 
[/quote]

No plot holes here. Zero wasn't dead, he was sealed in a tube following the defeat of Omega during the Elf Wars by voluntary choice. During that time, his consciousness was transferred into a new body. Vile stole the old body and used it for Omega.

FNJ wrote:
And then, we have peace. A lot of it.

Uh, no you don't. Dr. Vile is still in political control of Neo Arcadia and starts eradicating people, prompting citizens to flee and directly leading into Z4, which starts almost immediately after Z3.

FNJ wrote:
GREAT. Much less by the fact that it took killing Weil (instead of using the time between 2 and 3 wisely) to get the humans with the reploids. Hell, if they just wanted Zero, he could have sacrificed himself earlier to the guardians so they could chill out and let the energy flow in. 

It took Vile's appearance at all to get the humans to ally with the repliroids. The issue was that Vile had control of the military, and was executing anybody who disagreed with him. That's why the caravan in the beginning of Z4 was under attack, it was Neo Arcadians fleeing the city and Vile's forces trying to stop them.

FNJ wrote:
On that thought, the guardians who are responsible for keeping the human race alive aren't much better. Elpizo WTFpwns Harpuia at the end of the second game with only the power of the two Baby Elves. Not only that, but he apparently manipulates them into fighting Zero anyway, because otherwise the Guardians are complete idiots who prioritized fighting a rival over a national emergency.

yeah, Elipis used the baby elves to brainwash them.

[quote=FNJ]In Z3, the Guardians essentially spend the game getting kicked around and disappear from continuity at the end. Well, except for Phantom, but he was already dead. They aren't even cool enough to be so much as MENTIONED in MMZ4. Not a single text box. We get to listen to an old man drone on about bread and stuff once in every game, but we can't have resolution for a supposed important character? [/quote]

Uh, dude, they died in that huge explosion at the end.

FNJ wrote:
In fact, the only character that gets any real conclusion to their tale is Zero, and that's only because he's dead. Again. After a bunch of stuff happened that he only made worse. So I guess the main question is, What was he fighting for?

He was fighting against a facist government that was attempting to wipe out repliroids that didn't conform to a very specific standard of existence. In Neo Arcadia a repliroid would be labeled Irregular and killed for the slightest of things, even if it was completely unjustified. They were the evil empire.

I'm not sure how you got the plot of the series so confused, because it's one of the most narrative-driven and clearly set out segments of the entire Rockman franchise. If you have questions or anything I'll be happy to explain them, just please number them (or at least have them organized-ish, this wasn't easy to divide up as a virtue of it's self-admitted disorganization) so that if you ask so I can answer them in a systematic fashion rather than cutting up paragraphs randomly ^^;

Also, I think it's important to point out that the Zero franchise is a media block as a whole, and not just as series of games. Each videogame was supplemented with rather extensive material in the form of Drama Tracks and booklets, which provided rather extensive looks into both the characters' backstories (like, what happened between the X series and the Zero series, for example) as well as what certain characters are doing when they're "offscreen" (Like Harpuia, Fafner and Leviathan during Z3). Of course, these supplemental materials didn't make it to America... I've read/listened to most of them though, and can provide some transcripts/translations if you're interested.

So yeah!

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 17 2010 04:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dude, I don't even think people who write Megaman fan-fiction read into it that much, sweet Jesus.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 17 2010 06:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm taking a shit at work, but I skimmed your post, huff. I couldn't help but notice you taking some sort of personal offense to my jestful article, even though the intro paragraphs pretty much say "I'm bored so I'm going to make a big deal out of nothing."

When I get home and can give your post a fair read I will reply.

But seriously, thanks for reading it and leaving feedback, wether positive or negative. It just felt nice to write something after so long.

LordHuffnPuff
PostPosted: Nov 17 2010 06:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No, I'm not offended at all! Sorry if I came across that way. I just wanted to try explaining it.

I actually deleted a few parts/rewrote them because I thought "man this kinda sounds hostile and I don't want to come across that way."

But yeah, I've got the story down as far as I know, so I'll try to answer any questions related to the series that I can.

I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 17 2010 07:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lol I wasn't worried.

Btw I was being extragenious by calling ceil a six year old. It was a joke about the art style.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 17 2010 07:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also, I had no idea about the tie in material. That would probably explain a lot. This article pretty much just takes z1-z4 into account, with light mentions of the x series. I was under the assumption that zero was dead at the end of x5, and the elf wars happened without him, considering z1 was in development before x6.

It could be really interesting to tear into this together, with the supplimental materials.

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Nov 17 2010 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This was pretty awesome.

LordHuffnPuff
PostPosted: Nov 17 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
Also, I had no idea about the tie in material. That would probably explain a lot. This article pretty much just takes z1-z4 into account, with light mentions of the x series. I was under the assumption that zero was dead at the end of x5, and the elf wars happened without him, considering z1 was in development before x6.

It could be really interesting to tear into this together, with the supplimental materials.

Yeah, whatever you want. Hit me up in the IRC room or something!

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 17 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely.

Reply to topic

Jump to: