"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Walking Dead

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 03 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

So AMC's The Walking Dead had the highest rated premiere of any show this year. And it was an awesome start. I'll confess I haven't read the books. That said, they got the Georgia stuff right (taking i-85 into Atlanta), having Georgia license plates, Marietta Street in downtown Atlanta, etc. Where am I going with this you may ask? It's simple really, after Zombieland and now this, I hope my state becomes a new mecca in zombie filmmaking. I guess that's about all I have to say for now.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Nov 03 2010 07:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I watched it, and liked it a lot. I've never read the comics either so I don't know how they compare to that, but I like that the show seems to have a decent budget. The effects are solid...on par with any zombie movie I've seen, really. It did drag at times, to be expected from a drama series I guess, but it's earned "Record All Episodes" status on my DVR.

Glad to hear the ratings were high. It was a good start to the series, and I want to see them carry out the storylines they've already set up.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Nov 03 2010 07:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Crap, I don't have time for more TV, but everyone says this is really good. I might have to sneak it in.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 04 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's already been picked up for a second season. Total viewings on the first night, when including the encore at 11:30 p.m. totaled 8.1 million.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 04 2010 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just watched this with the wife and we loved it. It differs from many Zombie related things by having characters you actually give a shit about. So many Zombie movies have the same old character types and by the end I usually want even the hero's to just fucking die.

Also, the title of the thread is kinda weird. Why not make it say "The Walking Dead" and have the random things about Georgia afterwards? I mean, I get the state pride and all but yeesh. Wink

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 04 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, definitely woodzy. I like the idea of a series like this because they're going to have the time to really flesh out the characters and their stories. I already care more about that kid than any other character I can think of from a zombie movie.

I don't really watch dramas on TV, either. But I like post-apocolyptic stories and I'm enjoying this one a lot so far.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 09:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

This show completely slipped by me. Have heard NOTHING about it.

Time to check it out when I get home later.
aika
Title: Narcissist
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Atma here... haven't heard anything about this, but now I'm pretty intrigued. I'll have to track this down.

天上天下唯我独尊

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad the zombies don't have superhuman speed and strength. That, to me, was the dumbest fucking intepretation of zombies ever. Here are these decaying bodies that are falling apart, and somehow a single one can outrun and overpower a human of average speed and strength? Fuck you, Danny Boyle. The whole virus explanation doesn't make it any more acceptable.

Back to the Walking Dead, I enjoyed it, mostly. But I had been up all day, and from the time he wakes up in the hospital to the time he meets the guy and his son, it was WAY TOO QUIET. I came dangerously close to falling asleep. Then stuff started happening.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Technically, the Ragers in 28 Days Later aren't zombies. They aren't reanimated dead, so they aren't decaying. They are regular humans overtaken with "rage"...or whatever. That's why they all die off eventually if they don't eat. And I don't remember seeing too much superhuman strength demonstrated. It seemed within the bounds of a human on an adrenaline rush. That could be explained by a virus.

The Walking Dead definitely is quiet to set a mood of desolation, and there are a couple of slow parts. But the good stuff more than makes up for it.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 01:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Technically, the Ragers in 28 Days Later aren't zombies. They aren't reanimated dead, so they aren't decaying. They are regular humans overtaken with "rage"...or whatever. That's why they all die off eventually if they don't eat. And I don't remember seeing too much superhuman strength demonstrated. It seemed within the bounds of a human on an adrenaline rush. That could be explained by a virus.

Syd Lexia wrote:
The whole virus explanation doesn't make it any more acceptable.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 01:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Your point was that they were decaying, dead bodies that shouldn't suddenly have super strength. Your premise is incorrect. They aren't decaying or dead. They are humans. The Ragers in those movies don't do anything more than you would expect from a jacked up human being.

Unfuck Danny Boyle right now.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 02:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think anyone who grew up fascinated with zombies were annoyed by the 28 Days Later interpretation of them. I was.

Also, Danny Boyle can be unfucked when he apologizes for "Sunshine". *Waits for SoldierHawk to come in and berate me for not liking that abortion of a movie*

Atma
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 05:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just finished watching this with the Wife. Good stuff. Did have a few slow spots, but overall looks like its going to be a good show.

I'll be following it.
TheDrumWorkshop
Title: 2D Video Game Raper
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 08:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoyed it aswell!! I have it set to record the whole series! Finally something to look forward to on Sundays rather then watching the Cowboys step on their own dicks.

KaY-O!

Rydog
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FYI, they are replaying the premier right now.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Nov 05 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FY even more I, the premier episode is free to watch on AMC's website for a limited time (I'm guessing through Sunday, when episode two comes out):

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/video?bcpid=86227333001&bclid=648729362001&bctid=659216515001

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Rydog
PostPosted: Nov 06 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Watched the premier and thought it was really good. I'll watch more and see how it goes.
SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Nov 06 2010 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
Watched the premier and thought it was really good. I'll watch more and see how it goes.

My thoughts exactly. I have to admit, I was rolling my eyes in the beginning at the similarity to "28 Days Later" (or did the comic do it first and then the movie stole it?), but it managed to define itself pretty early on, and I liked what I saw. Might be one to own when the whole series comes out on DVD eventually.

militarysignatures.com

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Nov 06 2010 04:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Finally got to see the premiere thanks to Sathien. Despite not having sort of expectations, I greatly enjoyed, specially the bits in Atlanta as I was able to pinpoint locations. In fact I recognized the Georgia Aquarium in the next episode teasers.

Characters are indeed likeable as well, which is fairly refreshing in a zombie series. I actually felt bad when the horse died. ;_;

As for the silent bits, I believe they were quite effective to build suspense.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Nov 06 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Been hearing a lot of positive buzz about this, too bad I don't have TV.

Atma
PostPosted: Nov 06 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AtmanRyu wrote:
I actually felt bad when the horse died. ;_;

yeah me too, I was thinking at first that maybe Zombies had no interest in Horse Flesh. That was a misconception, because they FUCKED that horse up.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 06 2010 06:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Too bad, too. I was hoping for a zombie horse.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Nov 06 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Atma wrote:
AtmanRyu wrote:
I actually felt bad when the horse died. ;_;

yeah me too, I was thinking at first that maybe Zombies had no interest in Horse Flesh. That was a misconception, because they FUCKED that horse up.

Ugh. That was truly horrible. Not as bad as the man (forget his name) trying to kill his wife though. That actually had tears starting to fall, and I haven't cried at TV, like, EVER.

Good stuff.

militarysignatures.com

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Nov 06 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, Hawk, how do you feel about the tank? I have a few military friends that all called bullshit on the hatch on the bottom of the M1A1 Tank.

Also, I'm glad they at least got the ear damage right, when he fired his pistol inside the tank, as soon as he lifted the gun I grimaced thinking about blowing out his eardrums.
Reply to topic

Jump to: