"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
10 Things to Know About the Future of Comics

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 29 2010 06:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.comixology.com/articles/412/-Ten-Things-to-Know-About-the-Future-of-Comics

tl;dr

1. Newspaper comics are dead.
2. Monthly comic books are dead.
3. Format is infinitely mutable.
4. The audience is infinitely fragmented.
5. But there is a canon.
6. Superheroes are not comic-book characters.
7. Manga has changed the game.
8. The line between creator and fans is razor-thin.
9. They are mostly girls.
10. They are very good at making comics.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Oct 29 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I believe 0% of that is true.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Oct 29 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I can't agree with hardly any of that.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Oct 29 2010 01:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think when my local borders has one shelf in the corner for comics and an entire section for manga, it might be changing the game at least a little bit...

Josh.0
PostPosted: Oct 29 2010 06:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I really wish I didn't, but I kind of agree with the list.

I worked at a coffee shop for a while and would read the paper when there was nothing to do. At first I enjoyed the newspaper comics, but it kind of got old since lots of them are of low quality. Ever read Hagar the horrible or Beattle bailey and just feel dumber for reading it? I remember bad ass comics like bloom county, Far side, Life in Hell and shit like that. Other than Garfield which has been the same for the past hundred years, I think Dilbert is the only comic I can consistantly read and think it's funny. I guess Zits it ok, but it just makes easy jokes. I started out liking pearls before swine, but it just failed to make me laugh too many times.

I but the shit out of monthly comics, but I know so many people that just buy tpbs every so often. Then they ask me if I've heard about cival war or some shit when it's like 3 years old. Other than monthly comics costing so much, their availability is the big problem. Ordering comics has always been a hassle and still is.

Superheros are not comic-book characters is totally true. People think that what happend in the x-men cartoon is official as far as the comics go. I see people wear batman and punisher shirts all the time and rarely have any of them read a single comic about these characters. They only watched the movies, watched the cartoons and ate the breakfast cereal.

I don't know if the line between creator and fan is that thin, but I also don't know if that's a bad thing either. If someone is writing a comic that I read, I'd hope that they were at one time a fan and really care about the characters. Plus, stuff like comics are meant to inspire people to create similar stuff.

I don't really understand points 9 and 10.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 29 2010 09:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Josh.0 wrote:

The list was written by a female manga artist with Viz.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Oct 29 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Josh.0 wrote:

The list was written by a female manga artist with Viz.

That explains most of that.
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Oct 31 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That was about 4 seconds of my life I'd like back. That list is complete shit, except for the one about manga. And even then, I would never forsake my Calvin and Hobbes.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Nov 01 2010 02:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I did the mistake of reading the article and this is what I have to say:

1. No, Newspaper comics are UNDEAD; there's a clear difference.

2. If that were to be remotely true, DC , Marvel and others would had stopped monthly comics YEARS ago since it would had been bad for business.

3. Read point 4 of this article: http://www.cracked.com/article_18817_5-reasons-future-will-be-ruled-by-b.s._p1.html

It's just not that easy to declare "papertrade is dead! Long live digital!". Yes, there's people that love digital media as it is, but there's still people that would like their collections to be tangible and highly resistant to electromagnetics. Things are rather complicated as it is, and it would be a really tricky action to leap directly into digital without destroying thousands of jobs in the middle.

4. I got nothing, since it's a biased argument to begin with.

5. Read point 4.

6. What is this I don’t even

7. For God's sake girl, you ever read any of Scott McCloud's books? He brings this point much better that you'll ever do. Manga didn't exactly "change the game"; it simply became more popular in the U.S. Besides, Japan doesn't have a monopoly when it comes to innovation. You want to be REALLY blown away? Read a EUROPEAN graphic novel. Point being, different cultures worldwide affect how sequential art evolves in their respective cultures. That's why American Storytelling is different from Asian, which is different from European, which is different from many others. While it's true that American comics are incorporating styles and concepts from manga, it doesn't mean they want to become like manga; in fact, most editors will frown upon you if your sole artistic background is manga alone, instead of a personal one They expect you to be able to tell a story regardless of your style; they expect for you artwork to be solid, regardless of how realistic or minimalistic it is (Skottie Young, Eric Canete, Stan Sakai, Chris Schweizer, etc.).

8. I call bullshit. BULL. SHIT. The entry bar may seen low, because the internet actually made it easier to publish yourself. However, there's still a very definite line between fan and creator; the true different comes from work ethic and dedication. A fan WILL do all that crap she posted in said post; a true cartoonist on the other hand will treat it as a full-time job which (hopefully) is enjoyable for him/her. The artwork is not good enough? They'll work HARDER to improve. People don't like their current work? They'll take that as constructive criticism and will work on fixing the issues. In fact, they know very well when to be a fan (of other people) and when to be professional.

9. Speaking from personal experience, that's one of two statements that are actually true. Newsflash though: Publishers ALREADY KNOW.

10. The other statement that is actually true, again speaking from personal experience -_-;
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 01 2010 04:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone who thinks newspaper comics are dead needs to see the fire that gets lit under an editor's ass when they cancel someone's favorite comic.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Nov 01 2010 02:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

She totally lost me at #2. Don't need to go any further than that. Rolling Eyes

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Nov 01 2010 03:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That article sounds like Ke$ha to me... blah blah blah. Seriously, maybe that's how it goes in Japan, haven't been there for a while, but she's an expert excrement expeditor if she gets people to buy her argument.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Nov 02 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just a few points I missed from my previous post:

9.a. And since most up-and-coming artists are gullible girls with Unwarranted Self-Importance, it's really easy for publishers to take advantage of such and screw them up badly (Read: Tokyopop).

10.a. Unfortunately, an apparent side effect of being that good is being incredibly bitchy/smug/combination of both. Thankfully, it only happens with half of that group.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Nov 02 2010 01:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In response to point 5: I don't know shit about Bone, Naruto or Death Note and I'm a comic-loving person 30. I do know a shitload about a ton of way better comics though (no offense to Bone, I've never actually read it.) I also read a "handful" of web comics but I've never read Penny Arcade or xkcd which are apparently "titans" of the genre.

To six, what the fuck is wrong with these people? Do they just live in some bizarro universe or are they actually just retarded?

To nine, no, no they are not. I'd know, I've spent enough time in comic shops. I know one girl who buys comics and that's it.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Greg the White
PostPosted: Nov 22 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Anyone who thinks newspaper comics are dead needs to see the fire that gets lit under an editor's ass when they cancel someone's favorite comic.

Yeah, these people are real tin caps. If you can find a copy in a library or something, get The Pre-History of The Far Side. In it, Gary Larsen talks a good amount about the crazy-ass letters he and his publisher would get from readers over comics just because they didn't sometimes get the joke.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Nov 23 2010 01:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:

Yeah, these people are real tin caps. If you can find a copy in a library or something, get The Pre-History of The Far Side. In it, Gary Larsen talks a good amount about the crazy-ass letters he and his publisher would get from readers over comics just because they didn't sometimes get the joke.

Man, I need to find this now. I bet some of those are hilarious.
Reply to topic

Jump to: