SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Stand (2013)

Reply to topic
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 23 2012 02:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well this is going to happen, apparently. Casting and directing are always subject to change, but it looks like instead of Frank Darabont, we have Ben Affleck directing. And apparently it's just going to be a single movie. The Stand is a three part book, so it's sort of an insult even if it is 3 hours long. There is no way they can fit all of that shit into a single movie.

Thoughts?

http://screenrant.com/the-stand-stephen-king-ben-affleck-sandy-147642/

http://collider.com/matt-damon-drama-universal-david-kajganich-the-stand/138898/

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Writer-Hired-Ben-Affleck-Adaptation-Stand-28917.html

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Jan 23 2012 02:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Disappointed. The 80s version was pretty good and I didn't feel that even it captured everything it should've.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 23 2012 02:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There was no 80's version, it was 1994.

justdrop
PostPosted: Jan 23 2012 02:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
There was no 80's version, it was 1994.

Typo, but thank you for the correction.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Jan 23 2012 02:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That was a great miniseries.

Having just reread The Stand myself, I'd be glad to see someone redo it, but there's no way it would work as a 1 shot film. Two movies maybe, but even that would be pushing it.

The richness of The Stand was in the details of the world's end, the journey across the country and the individual stories of all the survivors and victims. A one shot movie couldn't even begin to get the full picture.
3skulls
Title: Skinned Alive to Death
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 08:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My hopes aren't high. However if the screenwriter does something unique and interesting it could be ok. I do have a feeling that Affleck is in over his head and will end up dropping out. He did well with "The Town" but to say taking on The Stand is ambitious would be a gross understatement. Still it would be nice to see an adaptation on the big screen and not subject to the constraints that the 90's TV version had.

3skulls means you die.

<

JRA
PostPosted: Jan 24 2012 08:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
That was a great miniseries.

Having just reread The Stand myself, I'd be glad to see someone redo it, but there's no way it would work as a 1 shot film. Two movies maybe, but even that would be pushing it.

They'd have to make it like a Lord of the Rings Trilogy. and I've never even read The Stand

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 09:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of Stephen King adaptations, anyone catch Bag Of Bones? I loved the book but haven't caught this yet, is it worth it?

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

3skulls wrote:
My hopes aren't high. However if the screenwriter does something unique and interesting it could be ok. I do have a feeling that Affleck is in over his head and will end up dropping out. He did well with "The Town" but to say taking on The Stand is ambitious would be a gross understatement. Still it would be nice to see an adaptation on the big screen and not subject to the constraints that the 90's TV version had.

Affleck's directed two movies I've seen and they were both good The Town was good and Gone Baby Gone was incredible. I have some faith in his ability.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ben affleck is definitely better behind the camera than in front of it

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

justdrop
PostPosted: Jan 26 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
Speaking of Stephen King adaptations, anyone catch Bag Of Bones? I loved the book but haven't caught this yet, is it worth it?

Saw half of it and turned it off. They changed the wife's death pretty drastically, and leave out major thoughts, leaving people in the dark as to what the hell's going on. I was highly disappointed.

3skulls
Title: Skinned Alive to Death
PostPosted: Jan 26 2012 01:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
3skulls wrote:

Affleck's directed two movies I've seen and they were both good The Town was good and Gone Baby Gone was incredible. I have some faith in his ability.

Yes Gone Baby Gone was good as well but both that and The Town were in his league as far as directing chops go. I think The Stand is to big of a leap for him. Also Username hit the nal on the head....Benny boy needs to stay behind the camera.

3skulls means you die.

<

DatsRight
PostPosted: Jan 29 2012 09:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

I liked him as Matt Murdock...as much as a dislike Ben Affleck I really can't see anyone else playing DareDevil... tho the odds of a sequel are approximately 3,720 to 1.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jan 30 2012 01:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

DatsRight wrote:
I liked him as Matt Murdock...as much as a dislike Ben Affleck I really can't see anyone else playing DareDevil... tho the odds of a sequel are approximately 3,720 to 1.

Wow, that means there's a better chance of me meeting a woman with two vaginas then ever seeing a Daredevil sequel.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Jan 30 2012 02:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Daredevil was the worst thing ever. Fuck that movie.
justdrop
PostPosted: Jan 30 2012 02:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
Ghost Rider was the worst thing ever. Fuck that movie.

Fixed.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 30 2012 04:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
DatsRight wrote:

Wow, that means there's a better chance of me meeting a woman with two vaginas then ever seeing a Daredevil sequel.

If you meet a woman with two vaginas, please get her number and pm it to me. Thanks.

Also, Ben Affleck is a terrible actor. He should stick to writing and/or directing. He has one of those faces that I just want to punch for some reason I can't really understand.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 30 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

there's not much to understand. i want to punch him too.

i will say this though, he does play a good asshole (dazed & confused)

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Reply to topic

Jump to: