"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The NHL 2010/2011 season thread :)

Reply to topic
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 03 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I expect Halak to do better this season because Price is more of a long-term choice. He doesn't have as much experience anyway.
What I hope is that Eller does well. I don't want to have lost Halak for nothing.

I seriously have to question why the fuck they kept Jaroslav Spacek though. I've never seen him play well, and since the beginning of the season it's been a shitload of giveaways with zero production.
Yet they didn't keep Marc-André Bergeron, the guy they got for less than a million and made Montréal's power play second in the league last year.
When the team has a 25% efficiency on power plays in games you're in while it drops to 12% in games you're not...
And then they wonder why fans accuse them of not wanting Québécois in the team Rolling Eyes

WHY DIDN'T THEY KEEP GUY BOUCHER!!!?? Bleating and Babbling
SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: Nov 07 2010 05:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Washington is doing pretty decent so far. Their penalty killing is way better than last year, and Michal Neuvirth is doing a great job as well.

They did, however, blow 3 goal leads in consecutive games against Toronto and Boston. Can't do anything like that against Philadelphia today, or else the Flyers will make them pay.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
bassguy252
Title: Professional Malcontent
PostPosted: Nov 14 2010 08:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ah another year at the bottom for the oilers...

well at least we will good another good draft pick

Let's assume it's a mixture of the two!

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 14 2010 09:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Your team is young, give it a time. It often takes about 20 games for rookies to really become used to the NHL. Wait until January before giving up.

And fuck, Markov is injured again. For 3 months. I think it's his 4th long-term injury in three years Sad

But lol at the Leafs. Can you call that karma? 8 losses in a row after the Colton Orr incident. As his number is the 28...
bassguy252
PostPosted: Dec 06 2010 03:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

ah the leafs.... thats about all I can say about them

im also glad calgary is in last place... bwaahahahaha!!!!!!! losers...

Im cheering for the oilers but come playoff time, unless by some miracle the oilers edge into the playoffs... Ill be rooting for the Habs to bring the cup back home

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 06 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Calgary vs Edmonton is a battle for last place now? Well, at least it gives you something to cheer for until your team gets better. You're only 5 points back anyway.

As for the Leafs, I said last year this was their last chance to get a good team because they used a lot of their picks for trades, so I believe they won't do much for another 3-4 years.

Best defense in the league up to now? Montreal
Second best? Boston
As Boston-Montreal happens like every year in the playoffs (unless someone blows a 3-0 lead Cool ) this should be pretty damn interesting.

Quebec City on standby until they receive Ottawa's answer...
bassguy252
PostPosted: Dec 19 2010 04:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hope quebec and winnepeg get their teams back, they deserve it, esp winnepeg, such die hard hockey fans out there

all I can say about my oilers right now is wow, they want to make the playoffs, I kinda want them to as well (although im a skeptic and i think theyll bottom out and finish last again) but seriously, those kids look great

Hall, Omark, Eberle, Paajarvi... unreal talent and this team finally is showing some promise

now all we need is Iginla to get run out of calgary so he can sign with the oilers and try to make a run for the cup Very Happy!

Izzy
Title: Mascot Gold
PostPosted: Dec 20 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Pens were on a tear for a while, nice to see.
MAF needs to keep his confidence up, he can be among the best if he doesn't get in a funk.
But this 2 game losing streak sucks. Razz

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 20 2010 02:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Watch the Caps and feel great. That's what I do at least. Sad

The Caps and Pens are sequence teams. They can get a bunch of victories in a row, and then a bunch of losses in a row.

The Habs are usually more constant and will alternate win/loss for a while. So 4 losses in 5 games doesn't feel too great because I doubt they'll ever get a big winning streak.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Dec 30 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, since Jacques Martin decided to bench Subban for three straight games, he lost all confidence, and because Markov is injured yet again
there was already a lack of defencemen and now they have trouble keeping up (7 games on the road doesn't help).

The Habs always sucked around Christmas, but they don't have to do it on purpose Rolling Eyes
SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: Dec 30 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll be at the Winter Classic on Saturday... Well, let's hope it gets played on Saturday.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Thorton02
PostPosted: Feb 24 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sooooo happy that the Sabres got a new owner. We've gone through a crook, the NHL and a guy with good intentions but handcuffed the organization financially. Now we have a billionaire that grew up as a fan of the team and said flat out he expects to spend up to the salary cap. He actually cried at the press conference when he saw his childhood hero Gilbert Perreault.

Whose excited for the trade deadline?

No, I don't think I will fuck Stummies.

bassguy252
PostPosted: Feb 24 2011 08:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thats great news for Buffalo! when the Oilers were bought by Daryl Katz it did nothing but good for the team, someone who cares about the team enough to let management do what it takes to save it. Our team has potential now where before we were just in the tank.

Im excited for the deadline, I hope we see a blockbuster deal but those are so rare in the new NHL, I think Hemsky or Penner might get traded although Id rather us keep both of them but if we do get a great offer in exchange then a deal might be best for the team.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Feb 24 2011 08:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't had the time to follow hockey much recently, but it's nice to see the Habs are doing well. Not great, but pretty good.

Also :

Quote:
im also glad calgary is in last place... bwaahahahaha!!!!!!! losers...

bwaahahahaha!!!!!!! Razz
bassguy252
PostPosted: Feb 24 2011 09:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah yeah yeah......

bobbymac
PostPosted: Mar 07 2011 01:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

So who should the Oilers take 1st overall? I vote Larsson!
bassguy252
PostPosted: Mar 07 2011 02:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

we need a big Defensemen and a big Center, im not too focused on it yet though I'll wait until the playoffs start because I dont have to care about hockey then

Thorton02
PostPosted: Mar 07 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't you guys get a buttload of stuff for Penner? A few smart moves in the offseason and I think Edmonton can have an exciting team to watch.

Shut up, Dorn
Title: White Chocolate
PostPosted: Mar 08 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

All I have to say is:

GO WINGS GO!

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Mar 08 2011 08:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thorton02 wrote:
Didn't you guys get a buttload of stuff for Penner? A few smart moves in the offseason and I think Edmonton can have an exciting team to watch.

They got draft picks and a prospect, I don't think either will help them next year. They seem to be doing the rebuild with patience so I can see them being very scary in a couple years.

I got to see Jeff Skinner(Carolina) play a lot last year when he played on the OHL team in my city, he is having one hell of a rookie season in the NHL.

As a Leaf fan it's nice to see them playing well lately, but as usual it's too little too late. I'm fairly pleased with the moves we have made this season, and the fact that they havn't negatively affected the current team thus far.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Mar 09 2011 09:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Remember when the NHL said they would ban hits to the head? Well, that was a load of bullshit. Not like it's surprising, the NHL will wait until 1 or 2 players die before doing anything.

CHARA GOT NO FUCKING SUSPENSION OR FINE WHATSOEVER FOR THIS HIT.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 09 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
Remember when the NHL said they would ban hits to the head? Well, that was a load of bullshit. Not like it's surprising, the NHL will wait until 1 or 2 players die before doing anything.

CHARA GOT NO FUCKING SUSPENSION OR FINE WHATSOEVER FOR THIS HIT.

This bullshit needs to end.

Hockey is a dangerous sport and will always be a dangerous sport. It is dangerous from the moment you strap razors to your feet through the moment that you slap a heavy rubber disk with a wooden stick at 100mph.

If you play by the rules, the game is still not safe.

In this case Chara's focus was on the player and the lower boards. His head never raised to see that he would be hitting Pacioretty into a spot where the glass ended and there was a post. The event was very fast and if you watch it from start to finish you can see that it was a standard, legal hockey play. If the post were not there, Pacioretty would be fine.

If Chara had any indication that his hit would place Pacioretty's face into the post, it would have been a boarding major with a game misconduct. If you watch the video repeatedly, you can see that he never had that intent or positioned himself to make that type of hit. The real problem here is that this should have been a 2 minute minor, but by making it a 5 minute major, they opened Pandora's box since all 5 minute major boarding calls are supposed to be game misconduct penalties.

I really do hope that Pacioretty is ok and that he recovers swiftly.

I also really hope that this baby bullshit ends. Hockey is not a safe fucking sport. Every player knows that and agrees to play with that understanding.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Mar 10 2011 01:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, okay, I'm overreacting. It was just a normal cheap hit, where it's pretty clear Chara wasn't playing the puck and just wanted to shove Pacioretty over the bench,
and nothing much would have happened if that post hadn't been in the way.

I still don't like seeing players make checks in an area without boards, where it's fucking dangerous.
[rant was here]

Ah, fuck it, I'll just have to get used to it I guess Sad
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Mar 10 2011 09:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Watch Chara's body, there was nothing wrong with the actual check (not roughing, high sticking, etc...). It was a bad check because he didn't have good spacial awareness (that makes it a Minor Boarding penalty). If you watch though, the check came within a reasonable amount of time from when the puck was in that area.

I would like to point out that most NHL All Star players would not be caught by that check in that way. Pacioretty could have skated harder before and after the puck was in his possession, and if you watch a player like Wayne Gretzky, he always did to avoid being hit.

Like I said, I feel bad because no one wants to see an injury like this. However, there really isn't anything cheap about this play. It was an accident, not an intentional attack and one that there is a clear penalty for.

Thorton02
PostPosted: Mar 10 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's not right GP. Chara had his eyes on the glass partition before he threw Pacioretty into it. While I can't prove what was going through his head(which is why he wasn't suspended), I can say that an NHL defenceman that's played in this league as long as Chara does not make that hit on accident.

Reply to topic

Jump to: