[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
MTG Deck Design Challenge!

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 08:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is your challenge. Build a 60 card deck using the following card pool. You must follow the Vintage banned/restricted list with TWO exceptions:

1) You may use Chaos Orb in your deck design. You may even use four if you so desire.
2) There are also a few Un-cards in this pool. You may use them as though they were normal cards.

The banned/restricted list can be found HERE.

And now, your card pool:

==LAND==
Forest
Island
Mountain
Plains
Swamp
Adakar Wastes
Brushland
City of Brass
Karplusan Forest
Library of Alexandria

==WHITE==
Abeyance
Balance
Blinking Spirit
Disenchant
Enduring Renewal
Greater Realm of Preservation
Order of the White Shield
Personal Incarnation
Serra Angel
Swords To Plowshares

==BLACK==
All Hallow's Eve
Baron Sengir
Black Knight
Dark Banishing
Drain Life
Fallen Angel
Guardian Beast
Infernal Contract
Infernal Spawn of Evil
Juzam Djinn
Necropotence
Nether Shadow
Pox
Vampiric Tutor

==GREEN==
Autumn Willow
Ernham Djinn
Force of Nature
Hurricane
Incoming!
Lhurgoyf
Natural Balance
Squirrel Farm
Thorn Elemental

==RED==
Balduvian Horde
Earthquake
Hurloon Minotaur
Jokulhaups
Pyroblast
Pyroclasm
Shatterstorm
Shivan Dragon
Wheel of Fortune

==BLUE==
Deflection
Hydroblast
Meditate
Prosperity
Recall
Sibilant Spirit
Vesuvan Doppelganger

==ARTIFACTS==
Black Lotus
Blacker Lotus
Chaos Orb
Icy Manipulator
Ivory Tower
Jester's Cap
Mirror Mirror
Mirror Universe
Zuran Orb

==GOLD==
Cadaverous Bloom
Sol'Kanar
Squandered Resources
Stormbind

Whoever designs the best deck wins. There is no prize, other than I will build and play with the deck. You can design either a dueling deck or a multiplayer deck. I would probably prefer a multiplayer deck, but a dueling deck would be acceptable as well. Either way, I will not be able to get away with playing it very often.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 09:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you own a black lotus.. sell it before it's too late. Though i will accept your challenge, I sent you a PM with a challenge of my own.

Ah, geez.. this is gunna mean the gatherer is going to see some increased traffic from me. what are so many cards i don't know!!!!!!!!

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Completely ignoring Jon Snow...

I'm not falling for it Syd! You want a new deck for multiplayer, build it yourself you lazy ass!

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So a while ago I made a topic saying that there was nothing but MTG talk in the toy forum, then posted Funny YouTube videos of megazord commercials. I go to check later and see that the topic ninja vanished, yet a Topic about your brother threatening to ban somebody if they don't play MTG with him or something exists. I don't feel like having another one sided argument with your brother, so I didn't mention it at the time.

In lieu of yet ANOTHER MTG being born today, can I have my topic back? Maybe an explanation of why it isn't allowed to survive at the least?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am unaware of this. If I can find your topic, it will be restored.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, I am to assume that you want a rainbow deck? As the choices for each color are a bit limited.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Build the best possible deck. It does not have to be rainbow. Mono Black seems viable, as do B/G and B/R.

I didn't create the card pool myself. I wish it were better, but it's not.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 24 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One thing is important to note, technically we should use the phrase best overall deck, since the best deck is relative to the deck your facing.

That said, I really shouls ask for compensation for this lol... your lucky since i'm somewhat still enthralled with magic, since i'm fairly new to it.. these kind of challenges interest me.

and do you own 4 of all thsoe cards? can i put 4 of any of those cards in the deck? so 4 black lotus?

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd, you know there's only one correct answer here, right? I mean, of course you do, but it's a hilariously obvious card pool. I'd send you a decklist, but I KNOW you know what the fuck I'm talking about, so consider that my decklist. Also, don't you fucking dare try to play that in multiplayer.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Imitating Jeebus Voice: Rolls eyes... "Syd i have the best deck it's obvious.. i know you're smart enough enough to realize it to."

I don't know if i made the best deck... I think it'd do decent. I ignored unhinged cards. so Blacker lotus wasn't in there etc... I just don't like those kind of cards. Like chaos orb.. alright so i'll spread out each land i have.. and each card i play ridiculously far a part so its only possible to hit one at a time, and you'd likely miss from one foot up in the air. Maybe that's fun and maybe that's what this is far. But i disregarded all the unhinged/unglued cards. The un-sets.

I'll pm you the list with a paragraph explanation of how i picture the deck going, and also some more questionable choices going in the deck, why they are there.

Edit: In the deck list i sent you there are actually 23 spells not 22.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 02:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jon, I didn't create the deck in question. It was a tier 1 standard deck like 13 years ago, and all the important pieces are there. Also, you can't rearrange your permanents to keep them from being hit by Chaos Orb. It's in the official rules.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 04:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Also, Mr. Snow. I'm not sure if you know this or not. (Since it's hard to tell by your post, since you are talking about "Un" cards, and go into this one) Chaos Orb isn't an "Un" card, it was an offical once-upon-a-time legal card. You're probably thinking of "Confetti Orb" which was an Unglued card made in honor of a now legendary move a player did in a tourny once long, long ago.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 06:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Jon, I didn't create the deck in question. It was a tier 1 standard deck like 13 years ago, and all the important pieces are there. Also, you can't rearrange your permanents to keep them from being hit by Chaos Orb. It's in the official rules.

You can rearrange them in response to it coming into play, right? Just not once it's in play?
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 09:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

The official Gathering ruling on this:
People At WotC Who Care About Things Like this wrote:

10/4/2004: You can arrange your cards any time before the Orb is put onto the battlefield, but not after. In general, you should not stack cards or put them in places where your opponent can't read the names of all of them or count them. This is recommended good gaming practice.

You know, shit like this is why they banned the card in the first place. I've heard (probably untrue) stories of people sticking their cards to walls to avoid the damn Orb.

I'll look at the deck pool later, but if you really do have a Black Lotus, Syd, I'd like to invite you to a nice dark alley I know somewhere nearby (and any decklist I include will probably include 4 Blacker Lotuses out of spite).
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Usa, I don't have a Black Lotus, but I can easily get one for this deck. If you can figure out where I got this card pool from, you'll know why.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 01:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I don't know if they have official zones, but I'd spread them out, as i play them just in case my opponent has that. I'll put them all a card's length apart. Anyway I don't like playing with a card like Chaos... They'd never make a card like it again, and honestly i wouldn't play a deck that was using a card like that. Unless we're doing some Unglued/unhinged stuff for fun.

Chaos orb alone, could win you the game.. nuke their lands. or whatever you need to... it's dumb.

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 02:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Snow, if you actually read the banned/restricted list, you'd know that Chaos Orb isn't legal to be used anywhere. It's entirely banned, Jeebus is talking about back when the card used to be legal. And if you read Knyte's post, you'd know that Chaos Orb is not an Un-card. That means that it's not in Unglued, and it's not in Unhinged, so playing with either of those sets doesn't somehow make Chaos Orb suddenly legal.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 02:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good, i'm glad it's banned. Because i refuse to use a card like that or play someone using a card like that.

EDIT: FYI, I PMed you the deck i came up with, Syd.. not sure if you checked it out yet. It can still be improved, because i didn't use blacker lotus and cards of that type. Also as i thought about it... I think i could have upped the total number of creature by 3ish or so.. and among them have some more higher costing 5manish cards, because the black lotus will let you play a 5mana card on turn two if you need to. I do like the overall deck but it could be tweaked.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 06:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
Good, i'm glad it's banned. Because i refuse to use a card like that or play someone using a card like that.

EDIT: FYI, I PMed you the deck i came up with, Syd.. not sure if you checked it out yet. It can still be improved, because i didn't use blacker lotus and cards of that type. Also as i thought about it... I think i could have upped the total number of creature by 3ish or so.. and among them have some more higher costing 5manish cards, because the black lotus will let you play a 5mana card on turn two if you need to. I do like the overall deck but it could be tweaked.

Trying reading the rules:

You must follow the Vintage banned/restricted list with TWO exceptions:

1) You may use Chaos Orb in your deck design. You may even use four if you so desire.
2) There are also a few Un-cards in this pool. You may use them as though they were normal cards.

Also, try posting it here.
JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 06:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Trying reading the rules:

I have standards SYD I HAVE STANDARDS : (.

Well you have what I liked. It's not the best deck, because Blacker Lotus is not in there, and Chaos Orb would have to go in, and i'm not going to put it in.

Here's the deck I sent to Syd, it still needs work, and verse a mirror deck of the same card pool i'd drop disenchant altogether: Biggest complaints I have in my own deck, is that i think i need to up the creatures by at least 3. And throw in 2 more higih level ones and 1 more cheaper card. This is because of the power of Black Lotus, let's great early game plays of powerful cards. I also recommend going Red for a multiplayer deck, as cards like Abeyance are horrible in multiplayer, and red has a lot of good stuff. Imagine Isochron + abeyance.. ouchies!!!!

This is intended as 1v1... Like i said I know it can be improved... I could make it better than what it is. And one thing i didn't know is if i'm just facin' other people using that card pool. If so I could make a much stronger deck, because i know disenchant would be useless, and would know how to use the dark banishings etc...

Quote:
Also, try posting it here.

Fine i'll do it you Tyrant!
You ask me to try so many things, try following the rules, try posting the deck here. yet you've done nothing I've asked you try Sad

Creatures: (16)
black knightx4
Juzám Djinnx4
Order of the White Shieldx4
Serra Angelx2
Personal Incarnationx2

Spells: (22)
Swords to plowsharesx4
dark banishingx2
Disenchantx1
Abeyancex4
Vampiric Tutorx4
Drain lifex2
Black Lotusx4
Balancex 2

Lands: (21)
Library of Alexandriax4
Plainsx 8
swampsx 9

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 06:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for continuing to live up to my assessment of "astoundingly stupid", Snow.
Syd Lexia wrote:

If you had looked at the banned/restricted list, you would've found Library of Alexandria, Vampiric Tutor, Black Lotus, and Balance on the restricted list. In case you're completely inept, that means that you can't have more than one (1) of each of those cards in a deck. Might wanna go back to the drawing board again, Snow.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 07:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
If you had looked at the banned/restricted list, you would've found Library of Alexandria, Vampiric Tutor, Black Lotus, and Balance on the restricted list. In case you're completely inept, that means that you can't have more than one (1) of each of those cards in a deck. Might wanna go back to the drawing board again, Snow.

That actually helps me.. because i had hard time deciding how i want to cut certain cards. That gives me a lot more room. I'll fix it a bit later.

And how am i stupid, i got you to look up the rules for me ty : ). What is up with you in trying to mock me so much, you're not exactly... how shall we say. I'll just leave it at that Very Happy.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 25 2010 07:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I decided to just follow the vintage format. If you open that up you can make this even better, but it really just kills me inside to include some silly, but over powered cards like Chaos Orb.

Edit: Actually I just saw a combo potential between Necropotence, Nether Shadow, and Fallen Angel.

First have Fallen Angel out, and then you'd use necropotence to get all your cards to your hand, then use disenchant on it, and dump 4 of the Nether Shadows to the gy. Then next turn just spam Fallen's ability on the Nether Shadows, and attack.

But it would seem if they just save all of their swords to plowshares for that Fallen Angel, if you rely on him as your win condition you'll just get owned.. but it's not bad to just run a normal deck and have a combo in it... i'll see what i can do. I would like a more reliable way to get all the Nether Shadows in the grave yard though. Have to look at what discard cards are there.. to bad no Buried alive Razz.

Edit: Another combo with Enduring Renewal, All Hallows End, I like this combination.. So I run 4 Nethershadows, I get A few Fallen Angels, and then i have this combo as well. I wonder how Enduring Renewal, and Necropotence would work, maybe enduring would just not work in that case. Interesting possibilities coming up.

Contemplating Combo Deck alternative, doesn't look that appealing to me right now, need better way to dump creatures if it's to be viable. Here's what i got so far i may need to look at other colors to check into more discard options. Necropotence may go in if it's not going to clash with my Enduring Renewal. Have room for 2 cards currently, in the combo option deck, not really combo based just has a combo option.

Maybe need to put 4 infernal contracts... I hate to go all in on some lame combo that can back fire... hmmm...

Creatures: (18
black knightx3
Juzám Djinnx4
Order of the White Shieldx3
Fallen Angel x4
Nether Shadowx4

Spells: (19)
Swords to plowsharesx4
All Hallows' Evex4
Vampiric Tutor x1
Enduring Renewal x4
Black Lotus x1
Balancex 1
Abeyancex4 (works with enduring renewal nice and slow opponent giving more time for combo to work!)
Infernal Contractx4 (questionable but nice synergy with Enduring again)

Lands: (20)
Library of Alexandriax1
Plainsx 9
Swampx 10

Edit: The more I look at a these combos the more i just think if an opponent sideboard 4 Disenchants saves their Swords to plowshares for fallen Angel you're kind of screwed on follow games.

All they have to do is save Disenchant for Hallow's eve BS... and save swords to plowshare for Fallen Angel..

I've made some edits sticking to vintage format, not sure on if i should take out the fallen angel, nether shadows all togehter, i'm not sure the probability the combo will even happen.

Creatures: (18
black knightx3
Juzám Djinnx4
Order of the White Shieldx3
Fallen Angelx4
NetherShadowx4

Spells: (21)
Swords to plowsharesx4
dark banishingx2
Abeyancex4
Vampiric Tutorx1
Drain lifex4
Black Lotusx1
Balancex 1
Necropotencex4

Lands: (22)
Library of Alexandriax1
Plainsx 10
swampsx 11

This deck in bold is what i'm submitting... I'm unsure if i should even include the Fallen Angel and Nethershadow combo in there, or just go straight Serra Angel, I think it works out well enough. there 6/6 guy in my original deck would be annoying as hell though, if i don't get hte combo off.. if i get it off i'm golden. Even not it'd do alright. That's the deck... i'm done thinking about this lol.

Actually one last question lol: If i use Necropotence effect does that trigger Enduring Renewal, if so i got how this deck will work.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jul 26 2010 04:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin wrote:
Snow, if you actually read the banned/restricted list, you'd know that Chaos Orb isn't legal to be used anywhere. It's entirely banned, Jeebus is talking about back when the card used to be legal. And if you read Knyte's post, you'd know that Chaos Orb is not an Un-card. That means that it's not in Unglued, and it's not in Unhinged, so playing with either of those sets doesn't somehow make Chaos Orb suddenly legal.

I'm talking about right now, as well. That ruling is actually from 2004 and appears in gatherer/oracle. Back when Chaos Orb WAS legal there was no such ruling,

I'll post an actual workable decklist here in a few minutes (yeah, it's gonna be a doublepost)

UsaSatsui wrote:

Reply to topic

Jump to: